Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Easily Led

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

Why is it that some people are easily led by people who force feed them a doctrine, however crazy? Like sheep they will follow them even if it puts their lives, and that of their loved ones, in danger. We have had some startling examples of that over the years, the dreadful Jonestown Massacre, for instance.

Islamic extremists somehow talk their adherents into following their unpleasant dogma to the death. The JWs have persuaded their conscripts that having blood transfusions is not approved of in the Bible, so even if death results because they have refused one for themselves or their families, so be it!

Many TV evangelists persuade their sycophants to fund their lavish live styles. The Benny Hinn and other 'healers' manage to convince the gullible that they have performed miracles.

The Catholic Church has managed to get away with many crimes against humanity over the centuries, The Inquisition being one of the most heinous. Other evil blots on their tainted copy book was turning a blind eye where paedophile priests are concerned, and consigning unmarried pregnant girls to homes like the Magdalene Laundries. Those girls were cruelly treated, their babies stolen when they were born, and often sold to the highest bidder! The protestant lot have nothing to be smug about either, the rabid pastors who scare folk with their hell-fire garbage if they don't get 'saved' garbage do Christianity no good at all.

If only people would realise those who preach to others, and claim to know the mind of god/s, have no more idea than the rest of us if any god exists. Matters of faith should never be accepted without thorough questioning.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Easily Led

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JJ50 wrote: The JWs have persuaded their conscripts that having blood transfusions is not approved of in the Bible ...

One would presume this is because that is precisely what the bible indicates

#QUESTION: Is a prohibition on blood transfusions based on the bible?
ACTS 15:29
"that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.�

Various other translations:
http://biblehub.com/acts/15-29.htm

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I was persuaded of the wisdom of the above by the fact that non-blood treatments have been proven to be a safer option for patients.

Physicians speak
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 423#844423
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

[Replying to post 1 by JJ50]

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I would wholehearagree with you that it to is shocking to see people use religion to justice dreadful massacres of the innocent, fund lavish lifestyles, and justify the heinous crimes against humanity over the centuries, such as the Inquisitions.

I personally look forward to the time when such religious crimes are things of the past.

Matters of faith should never be accepted without thorough questioning.

Amen to that!

This is why we Jehovah's Witnesses actively offer to help people do this in ourl door to door public ministry work. We encourage people to question if their beliefs are true and dare to question the religion of their birth.

What happens at a bible study ?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ttruscott »

JJ50 wrote: Matters of faith should never be accepted without thorough questioning.
How about matters of scepticism about Spiritual things? Do you support a thorough engagement with Spiritual practices to personally assess their effectiveness before accepting one has the right to discount them?
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #5

Post by onewithhim »

JJ50 wrote: Why is it that some people are easily led by people who force feed them a doctrine, however crazy? Like sheep they will follow them even if it puts their lives, and that of their loved ones, in danger. We have had some startling examples of that over the years, the dreadful Jonestown Massacre, for instance.

Islamic extremists somehow talk their adherents into following their unpleasant dogma to the death. The JWs have persuaded their conscripts that having blood transfusions is not approved of in the Bible, so even if death results because they have refused one for themselves or their families, so be it!

Many TV evangelists persuade their sycophants to fund their lavish live styles. The Benny Hinn and other 'healers' manage to convince the gullible that they have performed miracles.

The Catholic Church has managed to get away with many crimes against humanity over the centuries, The Inquisition being one of the most heinous. Other evil blots on their tainted copy book was turning a blind eye where paedophile priests are concerned, and consigning unmarried pregnant girls to homes like the Magdalene Laundries. Those girls were cruelly treated, their babies stolen when they were born, and often sold to the highest bidder! The protestant lot have nothing to be smug about either, the rabid pastors who scare folk with their hell-fire garbage if they don't get 'saved' garbage do Christianity no good at all.

If only people would realise those who preach to others, and claim to know the mind of god/s, have no more idea than the rest of us if any god exists. Matters of faith should never be accepted without thorough questioning.
Before you slander an innocent organization by saying that they hard-heartedly let their children die because they refuse blood transfusions, get your facts straight, please.

JWs always seek the BEST medical treatment for themselves and their children. Blood substitutes are available and are superior to putting someone else's blood in anyone's veins. Catch up to the post-Dark Ages medicine. Today there are many advantages to bloodless medical treatment, and it can never be proven that to refuse a transfusion means death. People who die like that would've died anyway, even with a blood transfusion, but you never hear about that. Do your research, please, before you cast aspersions on an entire group of people. They don't deserve your accusations. (We have done OUR research!)

Here are just two websites to check out. Do you want to bother?

www.hopkinsmedicine.org/bloodless_medicine_surgery

https://www.pennmedicine.org/for-patien ... e-medicine

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JJ50 »

The JW cult is pure evil. When my adopted son had a blood transfusion to save his life as a baby in 1986, two JWs turned up on my doorstep. When I told them about my son's blood transfusion they said he would have been better off dead rather than receiving blood from another person! There is nothing in the Bible which says you can't have a blood transfusion as they hadn't been invented in those far off days.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

JJ50 wrote: There is nothing in the Bible which says you can't have a blood transfusion as they hadn't been invented in those far off days.

There's nothing in the bible which says you can't shoot your neighbour with a kalashnikov AK74 either since hadn't been invented in those far off days yet either. Your point?

Jehovah's Witnesses exercise their right to say what is or isn't put into their bodies and on the matter of blood there is sound scriptural and medical reasoning behind their decision. They ask only that thir wishes be honoured.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

JJ50 wrote:
Those girls were cruelly treated, their babies stolen when they were born, and often sold to the highest bidder!
You make some valid points, but what are you talking about here?

The RCC providing alternatives to abortions? If these women don't want their children, isn't it better to give those children up for adoption rather than killing them in the womb?

How is that "stealing and selling" them?

Maybe you are referring to something I have not heard about.

Please provide support and citation for this charge.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JJ50 »

Elijah John wrote:
JJ50 wrote:
Those girls were cruelly treated, their babies stolen when they were born, and often sold to the highest bidder!
You make some valid points, but what are you talking about here?

The RCC providing alternatives to abortions? If these women don't want their children, isn't it better to give those children up for adoption rather than killing them in the womb?

How is that "stealing and selling" them?

Maybe you are referring to something I have not heard about.

Please provide support and citation for this charge.
No woman should be forced to go through pregnancy if she doesn't want a child.

The RCC in Ireland had unmarried girls placed in those ghastly Magdalene laundries where they were treated no better than slaves. When the babies were delivered they were removed and put up for adoption whether the women wished it or not! That flipping church has got a lost of evil deeds to answer for!

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
JJ50 wrote: There is nothing in the Bible which says you can't have a blood transfusion as they hadn't been invented in those far off days.

There's nothing in the bible which says you can't shoot your neighbour with a kalashnikov AK74 either since hadn't been invented in those far off days yet either. Your point?

Jehovah's Witnesses exercise their right to say what is or isn't put into their bodies and on the matter of blood there is sound scriptural and medical reasoning behind their decision. They ask only that thir wishes be honoured.
If JJ50's acount is to be believed, (and I see no reason to doubt it) then the JWs in question went well beyond "only asking that their wishes be honored".

Stating that someone's else's child would be "better off dead" (especially over a matter of religious practice) is beyond disgusting.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.