Morality question

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Morality question

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Suppose you are the king of a country and that country has a small population of jews that you are happy with.

If there were immigrants that really honestly needed your help to survive but they hated the Jews and would overtime force them out.

Is it moral to protect the Jews or moral to save the refugees?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Morality question

Post #11

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 10 by Bust Nak]

If I may ... would it be unfair therefore for God to have that standard as well?

(I just saw this angle, it was not the intention of the thread.)
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #12

Post by Bust Nak »

Wootah wrote: If I may ... would it be unfair therefore for God to have that standard as well?
That's where "I am the King, I say protect the Jews AND save the refugees" comes back in. God doesn't have to compromise between options ever, he gets what he wants, when he wants.

Wootah
Savant

Post #13

Post by Wootah »

Bust Nak wrote:
Wootah wrote: If I may ... would it be unfair therefore for God to have that standard as well?
That's where "I am the King, I say protect the Jews AND save the refugees" comes back in. God doesn't have to compromise between options ever, he gets what he wants, when he wants.
Of course that's not true. God can't be good and not good. Being all powerful and evil is no reason to worship.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #14

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

Why fix what's not broken?
Some questions come to mind:
Why would it be my problem to help another group of people - no matter where they come from or who they are?
What do they have to offer to help improve my society?
Does my society have what they need?
Can they be assimilated into my society w/o major issues?

Basically, my concern should be with my people (assuming my heritage is [whatever my society is]) primarily.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #15

Post by Bust Nak »

Wootah wrote:
Bust Nak wrote:
Of course that's not true. God can't be good and not good. Being all powerful and evil is no reason to worship.
I don't understand what you are saying. I can grant you that God can't be good and not good. I can also grant you that being all powerful but evil is no reason to worship. But what does that have to do with what I said? How does it make it untrue that God can protect the Jews AND save the refugees? Is the implication here that it is not good/evil to save refugees?!

Wootah
Savant

Post #16

Post by Wootah »

Bust Nak wrote:
Wootah wrote:
Bust Nak wrote:
I don't understand what you are saying. I can grant you that God can't be good and not good. I can also grant you that being all powerful but evil is no reason to worship. But what does that have to do with what I said? How does it make it untrue that God can protect the Jews AND save the refugees? Is the implication here that it is not good/evil to save refugees?!
It's not true to say that God doesn't have to compromise. God could be any old supreme being but if he is not good, holy and just then there is nothing to worship. So either he is good or he can compromise but he can't do both.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

One would hope that eventually, all the refugees were integrated into the more enlightened society they have escaped to, and eventually adopted its more enlightened ways.

Best wishes, 2RM.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #18

Post by imhereforyou »

Wootah wrote: Suppose you are the king of a country and that country has a small population of jews that you are happy with.

If there were immigrants that really honestly needed your help to survive but they hated the Jews and would overtime force them out.

For me, I'd first protect my own.
Eventually, I'd try to incorporate others so long as my own aren't endangered in any way.
Otherwise....the refugees can look elsewhere.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #19

Post by Overcomer »

Divine Insight wrote: If I were king of a country the population would be far better educated and these types of petty problems of ignorant bigotries wouldn't be likely to exist. So the problem with your question is that you are assuming that if I were king of a country the society would be similar to what we see in many countries today, but that assumption would already be wrong. And keep in mind here that you proposed a king here, not a democratic president which would be a totally different situation entirely. A democracy would require that the president work with congress and not just make his own laws based on his own whim.
Do you honestly believe that bigotry can be erased with education? Is that the problem in the United States? The people aren't educated enough to end bigotry?

What if the problem is sin? Can you erase sin by providing the same education to everyone?

As for your dilemma, Wootah, I'd try to unite them through Jesus Christ, pointing out to them he loves them both and came to save both. I would point out that in him we are all brothers and sisters. Only the love of Christ can solve the dilemma.

I say that, knowing full well, that some people's hate will never allow them to see Christ's love. But I don't see a political answer to the problem at all.

Tiberius47
Apprentice

Post #20

Post by Tiberius47 »

Wootah wrote: Suppose you are the king of a country and that country has a small population of jews that you are happy with.

Beggers can't be chosers.

If they don't want to tolerate the people who are already citizens, then they don't have to come. They know the price - be kind towards the people already here. Any refugee that tries to harm a person here should be sent away.