God's Knowledge

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

God's Knowledge

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

If for the sake of argument, God exists and is all knowing, what would that imply.

Question for debate:

Would an omnipotent God , in your opinion, know more than you?
How in your opinion would his knowledge measure up against our brightest scientists?

[Please note: I am not asking if an omniscient being is possible, but if such a being exists, the comparitive extent of his knowledge in relation to yourself]
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: God's Knowledge

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Would an omnipotent God , in your opinion, know more than you?
I'm assuming you mean an omniscient God. Yes, of course an omniscient God would know more than me. An omniscient God would know everything there is to know. I certainly don't have that level of knowledge to be sure.
JehovahsWitness wrote: How in your opinion would his knowledge measure up against our brightest scientists?
If an omniscient God exists this God would know everything, that would certainly be far more than our brightest scientists know.
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Please note: I am not asking if an omniscient being is possible, but if such a being exists, the comparitive extent of his knowledge in relation to yourself]
Well, for completeness, I feel that I can safely say that if an omniscient God exists it most certainly can't be described by the Hebrew Bible because that description of a God is extremely flawed and self-contradictory no matter how much the omniscient God might know. I don't need to be omniscient to see that.

Also, an omniscient God would know precisely why sending Jesus to earth to be brutally crucified at the request of his very own corrupt priest would not impress me in the slightest, and would in fact, appear to me to be the most ignorant and immoral thing a God could do. So I can know that Christianity cannot be the religion of a truly omniscient God.

If there exists a truly omniscient God it's far more likely to be the God described by Buddhism or something along the lines of the Eastern Mystical view of God.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Divine Insight wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Would an omnipotent God , in your opinion, know more than you?
I'm assuming you mean an omniscient God. Yes, of course an omniscient God would know more than me. An omniscient God would know everything there is to know. I certainly don't have that level of knowledge to be sure.
JehovahsWitness wrote: How in your opinion would his knowledge measure up against our brightest scientists?
If an omniscient God exists this God would know everything, that would certainly be far more than our brightest scientists know.

Thank you for your opinion. I'm inclined to agree (yes I did mean omniscient, thank you for the corrrection), I was curious as to other people's opinions on this question though.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Willum
Savant

Post #4

Post by Willum »

The brightest of scientists are getting warm.

There are very few things we aren't capable of doing that are possible to do.

We can transform elements. We can communicate near instantly across the globe. The things that are possible to do, have not even been tapped!

So, with untapped "scientific" knowledge, with few limitations that I can see - teleportation/faster than light travel, violation of the conservation of matter an energy,and so on, loss due to entropy - it is really left for us to say what MORE and what benefit is there is in knowing everything.

Could God use omniscience to build a perpetual motion machine - three answers, no, God designed the universe so that such a device is impossible. and no, God could not do so, because to do so, he would violate his own will, yes, but relies on assumptions we have no basis for.

So, what is the practical impact of knowing everything? as opposed to what a pretty goods scientist, knows or has access to?

I think is all lies in the application, and look forward to your (JW) continued insight.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Justin108 »

Yes
God's knowledge would logically be far greater

Now that your questions have been answered, care to elaborate on the point of this topic?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Willum wrote: The brightest of scientists are getting warm.

Do you mean they are getting close to omniscience?

Willum
Savant

Post #7

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 6 by JehovahsWitness]

No, I mean you should read the rest of my post. This is a very bad habit of yours, reading the first line of any post and nothing else.
We can't talk with you if you are going to leap out of context.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

JehovahsWitness wrote: If for the sake of argument, God exists and is all knowing, what would that imply.

Question for debate:

Would an omnipotent God , in your opinion, know more than you?
imo, all knowing and omniscience have nothing to do with omnipotence though I keep seeing them conflated by secularists. Probably a typo eh?
Last edited by ttruscott on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by ttruscott »

JehovahsWitness wrote: If for the sake of argument, God exists and is all knowing, what would that imply.
How in your opinion would his knowledge measure up against our brightest scientists?
No contest, as they say.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

tam
Savant

Post #10

Post by tam »

[Replying to post 4 by Willum]
So, what is the practical impact of knowing everything? as opposed to what a pretty goods scientist, knows or has access to?
Knowing everything would mean that you would know what people should or should not do; what the consequences of any decisions would be; you would be able to warn others to do or not to do specific things (and you could even warn them WHY they should or should not do these things); and you would be able to make provisions against the ignorant or erring decisions of these others. So that your plan (and will) does come to fruition.

I'm sure I'm missing some other practical impacts.

A pretty good scientist - even an excellent scientist - can't do these things (or can do only some of them in a very limited way); and our history is littered with scientists (and other men) doing things without any idea (and/or care) of the future and even present consequences.

Indeed, a pretty good scientist - even an excellent scientist - does not even know how very much (or little) that he does not know. Or perhaps the mark of an excellent scientist would be that he knows he does not know how very much more there is yet to learn and to know.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy