Why have a war (defense) Department?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Why have a war (defense) Department?

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

I have been told that we are a Christian country. Christians are part and parcel of Christ’s teachings, are they not? Turn the cheek, love thy neighbor, don’t pass judgement on those who would offend you (the list goes on), yet only a few Christian denominations adhere to this pastoral code (Quakers, Amish, most Mennonites, some Brethern) – my dad was Mennonite and my first wife was Brethern, so I know a little something about these quiet, observing sects. So why are we a, a Christ-like nation, bristling with all kinds of hardware to do our world neighbors in. Early in my life I was taught that all we needed was FAITH – whatever else happened, those with enough FAITH were shoe-ins for heaven.

Reading today’s paper I wasn’t astounded to hear President Trump say that in the past 15 years the USA has expended six trillion dollars in the Middle east with nothing to show for it (“that we are worse off than before�). And then, nearly in his next breath (his CPAC speech last week), he seemed to forget what he’d just said and promised he would be “upgrading all of our military, offensive, defensive, everything,� in what will be “one of the greatest military buildups in American history� (I’m assuming to do some of those turkeys in -- correct me if I’m wrong).

If we are a nation of Christians who really expect to go to heaven (soon) why are we committing 3.6% of our GNP to combatting fear when all we have to do is embrace Jesus and let the train wreck? The train wrecks and all the Christians go to heaven – simple.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Re: Why have a war (defense) Department?

Post #11

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]
Jehovah's Witnesses are willing to be judged for reprehensibly showing love and refusing to support violence, hatred and nationalism, by the one that judges all and hope their non-violence and unwillingness to kill both their own Christans brothers from other nations and their fellowman will be pardoned by that one.
Poetic, but a sad commentary for what "God" has initiated (or left fester without much help in remedying the situation(s).
Perhaps the Almighty will understand that JWs completely misunderstood Jesus central and fundamental message and took it to be one of peace and love and will pardon them, reprehensible as this mistake might be.
You sound as being possibly confused. Welcome to the REAL world. You are to be commended for your patience but few take your pastoral views seriously and continue to maim their fellowman 'cause of differing opinion. CRAZY is the apt word for religiously afflicted fanatics turning this beautiful world into killing fields because the others won't play their game.

To be sure, life is really a game -- and a fun game if only some would can their zeal and learn to play with others.

marco
Savant

Re: Why have a war (defense) Department?

Post #12

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

I understand and totally see what you are saying that not killing in politically motivated wars is reprehensible. I can see what you mean, those that both claim and practice love of neighbour viewing all men as their neighbours are reprehensible people.
No - what I am saying is that those who do nothing about the invasion of evil, are helping to spread that evil. Loving one's neighbour is an admirable quality but singing verses while the invader is killing children isn't quite so admirable.

Your Matthew quote can be used by both sides.
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses are willing to be judged for reprehensibly showing love and refusing to support violence, hatred and nationalism, by the one that judges all and hope their non-violence and unwillingness to kill both their own Christans brothers from other nations and their fellowman will be pardoned by that one.
And like the man who buried his talent, they will be asked what they did to prevent the deaths of innocent people by some war-mongering dictator. If they say: "We sang hymns, Lord," then let them be judged on this.
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Perhaps the Almighty will understand that JWs completely misunderstood Jesus central and fundamental message and took it to be one of peace and love and will pardon them, reprehensible as this mistake might be.
Perhaps the Almighty will be a little irritated that they placed thoughts in his head and presumed to interpret his instructions, as if they were themselves the Judge, rather than God. Jesus used violence with the buyers and sellers and in that spirit it is obvious that sometimes we must use force to fight for justice. You erroneously say: people waged war rather than showed love. In fact, Hitler WAGED war and others defended themselves as they would be expected to. Some refused to defend the defenceless and it is this refusal, not their songs of love, that is reprehensible. Let us not confuse the issue.