Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Does God cause evil?

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Does God cause evil?

Some assert that God causes no evil. Is there cause to believe this is true. Can this position be supported. Is the character described in the bible incapable of evil?

I would assert that a position that claims God created everything would make him the original cause of evil. That God cannot escape being the cause of evil since he created any and all situations in which evil would arise.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Re: The Word of GOD.

Post #311

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 309 by hoghead1]

[center]

I HAZ Claim
[/center]

hoghead1 wrote:
My claim is that God is Cosmic Artist
WELL you have yourself a claim, don't you?
Now what?"

:)

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #312

Post by Zzyzx »

Blastcat wrote:
hoghead1 wrote: My claim is that God is Cosmic Artist
WELL you have yourself a claim, don't you?
Now what?"
If past is prologue in this thread (and some others), claims just pile up accompanied by opinions but with no evidentiary support. Perhaps in some circles 'debate' means to throw out conjectures or opinions and expect them to be accepted unless disproved.

Thus, one could say that fairies have a goal for the universe and that beauty of the universe is evidence of that -- no proof required -- prove it wrong. Substitute 'gods' for 'fairies' and the argument is no more valid.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

hoghead1
Guru

Post #313

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 310 by Zzyzx]

As I said before, judge not, they you be not judged. All you have presented here are your opinions on top of your opinions, nothing more. For example, you claim that "your example shows nothing more than your opinion." Well, truth is, that's just your opinion on the matter and nothing more. You need to verify it, provide a substantiating argument, show it is just an opinion on my part. Well, where is it? Where have you given anything other than your own opinion on what I have said. Where did you offer a single rebuttal to any argument I made? Again, it seems that all you are giving are your own opinions on what constitutes evidence and that's it. Well, who says you are right? Where is your argument that it is invalid to assume all entities have complex order, for example? Where is your counterargument that we aren't social-relational beings arising out of the manyness of the world? I know modern science, especially social science, would side with me on that one. Where are your counter examples that would disprove my claim that all entities exhibit a unity of feeling? Where is your counter example to anything I have said? In every case, I have provided you with real-world data .So it sure is funny you are having so much trouble with what I m saying. Seems to me you are more tied up with your opinions than taking a look at the world. If you want to take me to task, OK. But then you have to show counterexamples, which you have yet to do, largely because all your have done is give your opinion and walk away.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #314

Post by Zzyzx »

hoghead1 wrote: As I said before, judge not, they you be not judged.
As I have said before, that is a silly platitude and very poor advice. Each of us 'judges' those with whom we come in contact or with whom we associate or do business. If we fail to use good judgment we fall prey to opportunists, egotists, politicians, 'false' preachers, and various unscrupulous types.

I EXPECT to be 'judged' by those who observe my actions and my words -- and have no fear of such judgments.
hoghead1 wrote: All you have presented here are your opinions on top of your opinions, nothing more. For example, you claim that "your example shows nothing more than your opinion." Well, truth is, that's just your opinion on the matter and nothing more.

I'll bet that really impresses readers -- 4000 views of this thread so far -- watching someone avoid "How do you know 'God's goal'?"

The readers are likely to realize that was a pompous statement that has not been shown to be anything more than wishful thinking at best -- but presented as though authoritative.

Are those who speak above their level of knowledge generally well regarded / respected?
hoghead1 wrote: You need to verify it, provide a substantiating argument, show it is just an opinion on my part. Well, where is it?
In honorable and reasoned debate we test whether something is an opinion or not by asking that it be substantiated by other, disconnected sources.

If substantiation is not forthcoming after extended time and multiple requests, the claim is regarded as unsubstantiated and questionable at best.
hoghead1 wrote: Where have you given anything other than your own opinion on what I have said.
I have repeatedly asked for verification. When that is not or cannot be supplied in honorable and reasoned it is rational to conclude that whatever was said is nothing more than opinion.
hoghead1 wrote: Where did you offer a single rebuttal to any argument I made?
Since you have offered NO substantiation for claims (beyond more personal opinions), there is nothing to refute. You are entitled to have opinions -- but are not entitled to present opinions as facts.
hoghead1 wrote: Again, it seems that all you are giving are your own opinions on what constitutes evidence and that's it. Well, who says you are right?
Readers will decide if I am right in asking for evidence OTHER than more personal opinions and word salads. They, the readers, are (in my opinion) more astute than many give them credit.

I appreciate the opportunity to have readers evaluate what I say compared to what is said by a presumably well-educated Theist.
hoghead1 wrote: Where is your argument that it is invalid to assume all entities have complex order, for example?
Exactly what position have I taken regarding the validity of assuming that 'all entities have complex order'? Verbatim quote? URL?
hoghead1 wrote: Where is your counterargument that we aren't social-relational beings arising out of the manyness of the world?
Whether we are 'social-relational beings' or not is no assurance that any supernatural entity is involved.
hoghead1 wrote: I know modern science, especially social science, would side with me on that one. Where are your counter examples that would disprove my claim that all entities exhibit a unity of feeling?
My counter-argument to that grandiose blanket statement is that none of us is capable of speaking for all entities (unless we are omniscient).
hoghead1 wrote: Where is your counter example to anything I have said? In every case, I have provided you with real-world data .
Okay -- provide 'real-world data' to demonstrate that you know 'God's goal'.
hoghead1 wrote: So it sure is funny you are having so much trouble with what I m saying. Seems to me you are more tied up with your opinions than taking a look at the world.
Correction: I have specialized in examining the real world for at least fifty years -- with particular emphasis on geology, hydrology, meteorology, botany, and related fields.

Nothing in the real world assures or even indicates involvement of supernatural entities with a 'goal'.
hoghead1 wrote: If you want to take me to task, OK.
I have repeatedly -- How do you know 'God's goal'? The response has been evasion and refusal to answer the question.
hoghead1 wrote: But then you have to show counterexamples,
In reasoned and honorable debate or discussion one who makes claims is expected and required to provide substantiation if challenged. 'You must provide counterexamples' is a very amateurish response -- and an avoidance of responsibility.
hoghead1 wrote: which you have yet to do, largely because all your have done is give your opinion and walk away.
Notice that I express NO opinion regarding 'God's goal' -- but ask one who professes to know that to cite the source of information that provides such knowledge. If there was a rational answer / citation it is long past time to identify it.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

hoghead1
Guru

Post #315

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 314 by Zzyzx]

Z, the reason I am having trouble with what your are saying is that you seem to be doing the exact, same thing you accuse me of. When you continually claim that I am but giving my opinions, I don't think you realize that is an opinion, a very big one, on your part, nothing more. It therefore requires you to provide evidence, an argument to support it, which you have yet to do. Just writing off anything I say as "opinion"and leaving it go at that, which apparently is all you want to do, is not a fair way to debate. That's why I say again that you should not judge, lest you be judged. If I'm guilty of giving just opinions at times, the same goes double for you.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #316

Post by Zzyzx »

hoghead1 wrote: Z, the reason I am having trouble with what your are saying is that you seem to be doing the exact, same thing you accuse me of.
Correction: The reason you are having trouble is that you have made grandiose statements that you cannot substantiate and rather than admit doing so you are constructing elaborate word games and diversions -- entertaining readers with a fancy tap dance.

'When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging'
Non-Theist

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #317

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 313 by hoghead1]
hoghead1 wrote:

As I said before, judge not, they you be not judged.

We are NOT to judge people in here, but what they write.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #318

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 309 by hoghead1]

Moderator Intervention

Z accuses hoghead of "dancing around", and hoghead accused Z of the "same old song and dance".

Gentlemen, enough with this dance, let's stick to debating ;)

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #319

Post by Elijah John »

hoghead1 wrote: Seems to me you are more tied up with your opinions than taking a look at the world.
Moderator Comment

hoghead, your post was OK up to this point. Your evaluation of Z's motives are a step beyond, and could ironically be considered "judging".;)

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #320

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 313 by hoghead1]
hoghead1 wrote:
Where did you offer a single rebuttal to any argument I made?
Oh, the irony.