Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

How does your 'light shine'?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

How does your 'light shine'?

In a current thread Clownboat pointedly said:
Clownboat wrote: Myself, someone that no longer is a believer in Jesus is arguing for treating humans with equality. Something most people would agree is a loving thing to do. You, a follower of Jesus is arguing for allowing businesses to not treat humans the same. Which opens the door for treating them unjustly and with prejudice.

Let your light so shine! Praise Jesus.
I trust that readers observe the type of light shining in posts by those who claim to be 'morally upright' Christians (following the teachings of Jesus) arguing exactly the OPPOSITE of 'love thy neighbor' or 'treat others as you want to be treated' -- and exactly the opposite of teachings attributed to Jesus.

Not only do many defend discrimination, but also may attempt to justify slavery, rape, warfare, genocide, infanticide, etc. Perhaps they feel obligated to defend, justify, or excuse even abhorrent practices that are part of their favorite ancient religion-promoting literature.

Readers must notice that quite often it is Non-Theists who argue FOR humane, equal and/or benevolent treatment of others and AGAINST slavery, rape, warfare, genocide, infanticide.

In real life, this Non-Theist 'walks the talk' that Christians CLAIM to be doing themselves (while most neighboring self-professed Christians are conspicuously absent from such activities). Perhaps if they actually DID act 'Christlike' instead of just talking, they would have some credibility.

Instead of condemning people for being different, wouldn't 'love' involve respecting them as fellow human beings and respecting their right to live as they decide (provided they do not harm others)?

What business is it of yours (generic term) who associates with (or has sex with) whom? Why do you obsess about the private lives and preferences of others? What difference does it make in your life who marries whom? Why should anyone be punished or disadvantaged in any way because they do not conform to your preferences?

Is the 'light' you shine an illumination of bigotry, intolerance, prejudice, judgmentalism, and/or delusion of superiority by you and your theist cohorts?

Does religious fanaticism / obsession lead to un-loving thoughts, words, and actions?

Do you tire of trying to justify or excuse abhorrent practices?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: How does your 'light shine'?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

I believe Jesus was advocating being honest, upright and kind in all our dealings, whether that be business or anything else. People should see the difference between someone that worships God and someone that does not, not least to share the light of truth that Jesus came to earth to shed.

Actually we recently had a very good lecture on this subject.
https://tv.jw.org/#en/video/VODStudio/p ... 10_1_VIDEO

Gerrit Lösch: “Let Your Light Shine�
[youtube][/youtube]

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote: I believe Jesus was advocating being honest, upright and kind in all our dealings, whether that be business or anything else.
It is a shame that those who claim to be his followers don't follow that advice.
JehovahsWitness wrote: People should see the difference between someone that worships God and someone that does not,
Should is the key word. If the difference was real rather than imaginary or only claimed, Christianity might have some merit. Personal observation (here in the Bible Belt) and national statistics indicate that Christians act no different than anyone else.
JehovahsWitness wrote: not least to share the light of truth that Jesus came to earth to shed.
Yes, TALK may be the difference. Christians here and elsewhere TALK a good game – but seem to stop with that – failing to 'walk the talk'.

Promotional videos and sermons are just more of the talk.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Zzyzx wrote: .
JehovahsWitness wrote: I believe Jesus was advocating being honest, upright and kind in all our dealings, whether that be business or anything else.
It is a shame that those who claim to be his followers don't follow that advice.
Yes that is a shame but Jesus said that not all who claim to be Christian would do so. Personally I cannot control others, only do my best and leave Jehovah to judge what is beyond my control.

Jehovah's Witnesses are people of action, not just talk, their preaching and good works whether charitable or in their community is not a secret. If only for the fact that we don't just see them talking in the warmth and comfort of their homes but reaching out in their communities, no matter what the weather, no matter what the personal cost is evidence they are willing live their faith in action.

I will subit evidence below, to prove what I am saying is true (see link)

Our Activities
https://tv.jw.org/#en/video/VODOurActivities

JW

[youtube][/youtube]
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Jehovah's Witnesses are people of action, not just talk, their preaching and good works whether charitable or in their community is not a secret. If only for the fact that we don't just see them talking in the warmth and comfort of their homes but reaching out in their communities, no matter what the weather, no matter what the personal cost is evidence they are willing live their faith in action.
JW, preaching IS TALK -- pure talk.

Talking in bad weather is still talk.

Leaving the comfort of one's home is NOT a noble gesture. Those who go to concerts do the same thing (and dog-walkers, trash collectors, etc).

Why would we pat ourselves on the back (or claim credit) for leaving our home or braving bad weather?
Non-Theist

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #6

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]
Is the 'light' you shine an illumination of bigotry, intolerance, prejudice, judgmentalism, and/or delusion of superiority by you and your theist cohorts?
I believe most Christians think their light shines brightly and, for lack of a better term, positively. And indeed, for some, that's the case. Most of what I've seen on this site causes me to question the Christian god even more. Christians need to be aware, honestly aware, of how their actions and words not only impact others, but how those things represent their god and their religion.
As for me, I'm unconcerned with what 'light' I show to those that I don't personally know and care for.
Does religious fanaticism / obsession lead to un-loving thoughts, words, and actions?
It sure can. Obsession can and does lead to may negative things. I hope that wasn't too sweeping of a generalization 8-)
Do you tire of trying to justify or excuse abhorrent practices?
We should tire if it's a negative practice, assuming, that is, we ourselves aren't negative in general. Some people do, in fact, thrive in causes issues for others.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

JehovahsWitness wrote: People should see the difference between someone that worships God and someone that does not
Indeed. The bible tells us that they will be obvious by the fruits of the holy spirit, ie, love, joy, peace, gentleness, self-control, kindness,etc.

It constantly boggles my mind how most Christians show very few of those fruits. Perhaps in reality the god they worship does not exist, which is why the fruits don't show and the light does not shine.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #8

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 7 by OnceConvinced]
Perhaps in reality the god they worship does not exist, which is why the fruits don't show and the light does not shine.
Maybe. Or maybe it has nothing to do with any god at all. Maybe it's just those people are terrible people that lie?

In all seriousness, I often wonder how much of a Christian's action are those of a god or simply a person being a bad person....