Educational qualifications in theology and dogma query.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Demented_Literature
Student

Educational qualifications in theology and dogma query.

Post #1

Post by Demented_Literature »

First of all I need to state that I am specifically an atheist with strong interest in religions around the world.

That aside; I would like to ask a question on the educational institutes that teach and offer PHd papers on religion and philosophy with dedication to specific religious texts.

With all educational entities; there must be some kind of background as to why you would believe the information being taught is the correct definition or explanation of the information being given. In the case of many religious entities there is a great deal of dissonance amongst believers and who can and how to read religious scripture and how to translate and/or define the scripture being read within the same belief system. There are also several ideas on how these doctrine ideas come together.

Now the questions:

How does one decide which educational facility is correct for them? Is this based on the belief system; or is it based on the educational prowess of the facility?

If one goes as far as to acquire a religious PHd in a religious facility how does one reconcile their ideas and thoughts with someone of equal qualification from another facility of the same religion that has differing ideas?

If there are any theists with qualifications here; is the information being taught posed as absolute truth? Or is it being posed as an idea that could and should be questioned resulting in alternative answers?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Educational qualifications in theology and dogma query.

Post #2

Post by onewithhim »

Demented_Literature wrote: First of all I need to state that I am specifically an atheist with strong interest in religions around the world.

That aside; I would like to ask a question on the educational institutes that teach and offer PHd papers on religion and philosophy with dedication to specific religious texts.

With all educational entities; there must be some kind of background as to why you would believe the information being taught is the correct definition or explanation of the information being given. In the case of many religious entities there is a great deal of dissonance amongst believers and who can and how to read religious scripture and how to translate and/or define the scripture being read within the same belief system. There are also several ideas on how these doctrine ideas come together.

Now the questions:

How does one decide which educational facility is correct for them? Is this based on the belief system; or is it based on the educational prowess of the facility?

If one goes as far as to acquire a religious PHd in a religious facility how does one reconcile their ideas and thoughts with someone of equal qualification from another facility of the same religion that has differing ideas?

If there are any theists with qualifications here; is the information being taught posed as absolute truth? Or is it being posed as an idea that could and should be questioned resulting in alternative answers?

Thank you in advance for any answers.
I would say that any meaningful educational facility should be based on the correct belief system, otherwise why bother with the facility? In fact, most of these facilities are woefully ignorant of the truth.

The apostle Paul stated that degrees from institutions are not necessary. The important "degrees" or "documents" are actually "written on the heart." Ministers of God do not need "letters of recommendation," as Peter, John and the other Apostles did not have. The true "letters" or "degrees" of Christ are "inscribed not with ink but with spirit of a living God, not on stone tablets, but on fleshly tablets, on hearts." (2 Corinthians 3:3)

Anyone who is dedicated to Jehovah in their hearts and knows the truth about Him and His Son can be a minister of God. No one needs a diploma from one of those woefully inept religious institutions that exist all over the world.

Demented_Literature
Student

Post #3

[Replying to post 2 by onewithhim]

This is a very interesting take; do you have an authority that you question if you have issue with a passage? And if so; on what grounds does this person act as an authority?

Also is there a heirachy within your belief system / church that could act as an educational institution? Indoctrination, first communion, baptism etc.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Demented_Literature]

My own view is we should recognized the PhD as issued to Jesus, by the higher school of theology that he attended, him being arguably the most qualified to answer questions of faith.

If one does not get into that school, one should apply for a doctorate at the institute that the Apostles attended or at the very least have the same diplomas in religious teaching as the first century disiples... you know, the ex-prostitutes, the washer women, farmers, fishermen and manuel workers that formed the basis of Christianity.

Hope that helps,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

ps: I do believe there is a bit of a waiting list to become a washer woman, but it's best to start at the top as Jesus did picking the most qualified, so your credentials are stellar.
ACTS 4:13

New International Version
When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.

New Living Translation
The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus.

English Standard Version
Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they were astonished. And they recognized that they had been with Jesus.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 1 by Demented_Literature]
Demented_Literature wrote:
If i were interested in a particular kind of philosophy, then I would consider a school specialized in that particular subject. Theology is a branch of philosophy. I think a believer should go to the school that reflects the thoughts he has the most interest in. I'd go by denomination, myself.

Ideally, I would not go to a Calvinist school in order to learn about Roman Catholicism or Islam, I would go to a school more focused on what I actually want to learn.

Ideally, of course.

:)

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 2 by onewithhim]
onewithhim wrote:
The apostle Paul stated that degrees from institutions are not necessary. The important "degrees" or "documents" are actually "written on the heart."
You are making a case against higher education.

Question:

• What's the point of discussing religious ideas with any rigor?

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 4 by JehovahsWitness]
JehovahsWitness wrote:
My own view is we should recognized the PhD as issued to Jesus,

An "honorary" degree from an imaginary school.
All very poetical...

Nothing real there, folks.

hoghead1
Guru

Post #8

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 5 by Blastcat]

Mark this date. For once, we agree. When I went for my doctorate in theology, I considered number of factors, from expense to time length of the program, to what programs I might be accepted in, etc. It is very competitive to be accepted into a doctoral and even harder to complete. And, of course, I also took into consideration whether the school was equipped to deal with my particular areas of interest. Such a procedure is common with graduate students in all fields. Graduate programs in the US generally insist on a well-rounded education. For me, that meant I had to take courses and pass major qualifying exams in Old Testament, New Testament, theology, church history, and ethics. Plus, I had to have an adjunct area, an area of specialization outside the department, as well as a committee member from outside the department, which, in my case, was philosophy. Much of my curriculum was set up based on my AOS (Area of Specialization). You just can't get a doctorate in religious studies. You have to specialize, choose from among OT, NT, theology, ethics, etc. The dissertation is the big part, where people stand or fail, what makes or breaks you. What can you do a dissertation one? To be honest, anything you are big enough to pull of and get away with, that is, anything you can make a solid case and argument for. Graduate school is really based on a kind of legalistic model of education. You are like an attorney going to court to make your case. So you just can't say things or hold beliefs. You have to support them, provide arguments and hope that convinces your committee. And you can't just write a dissertation and that's it. The topic has to be approved of by a departmental committee. And then, after you finally manage to get it done, you have to undergo your oral defense. This has about the personality to it of facing a court marshal or something. You are on trail. Your defense date and time and topic are published in the school paper. The public can attend if they want, though hardly anyone does. You walk into a room and face your five-member committee, all of whom seem to be looking for what's wrong with you. You get grilled but good for about three hours. You then have to step out of the room for about a half hour or maybe more while they consider what they are going to do, their verdict. They can accept you, flunk you, ask for modifications, whatever they want. Then, phew, the door opens, out they came, shaking my hand, saying congratulations, doctor. It's the biggest phew experience I had in my life. I was one of the lucky ones. I made it. I know of many others who weren't so lucky.

It is sad but true that some very anti-intellectual religious groups demonize higher education. They bludgeon the Bible into their excuse, which is usually that Paul downed higher education (which he actually didn't, by the way), therefore higher education is unnecessary and evil. But we do not live in the biblical world. If you want to cut it today, get a university teaching or research position, you have got to have the union card, the Ph.D.

Plus, if you are dealing with theology, you are dealing with centuries of highly intellectual materials to work through, major arguments and and counter-arguments, etc. And that is going to require a graduate education. If you are working in biblical studies, no, you are not an apostle. You are dealing with an ancient culture, one very alien to ours, and you are also dealing with materials originally written in ancient languages. So again, to be successful in the teaching market, you are going to need an advanced education.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 8 by hoghead1]

hoghead1 wrote:
Mark this date.
It's quite an event.

hoghead1 wrote:
For once, we agree.

As I said.. quite an event.
And.. congratulations on your Phd.

Demented_Literature
Student

Post #10

[Replying to post 8 by hoghead1]

Thank you for this; this gives me some further understanding of the difficulties those that delve into this sort of education face.

What kind of; if any; guides are you given for your final dissertation?

Is there some kind of predefined requirement you must fulfil before providing the argument you must then defend? Example: It must fit within the confines of the historicity of the bible.

And if you don't mind me asking; what was your dissertation based on?