Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Christians contradicting God and/or the Bible

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

The Bible quotes God as clearly saying 'I create evil'

Apologists here say 'Oh no you don't'

Then they play word definition and translation games attempting to conceal the irrationality of their claim that God does not create evil (even though they also claim that God created everything).

How can this be?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Willum
Savant

Re: Christians contradicting God and/or the Bible

Post #2

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

Well, if these actions truly describe their lord, then it indicates to me who their lord really is. What kind of spirit relies on word games and definitions to prove their point?

Is it a god of truth? Or sophisticated propaganda (from men)?

As to translations and such not, as we did into the veracity of these things, we find that Hebrew is a twice dead language, meaning the Greek versions of the Bible provide a far clearer interpretation. We also find that the original Bibles did not survive Constantine's Empire, and that Rome had a 600 years policy of usurping religion in favor of their government. So original works go in, works supporting Rome come out.

These facts should lead a rational person to one conclusion.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

Yes, Adonai created people who live in a way (ra' "evil") different from how He designed His people to live (tov "good").

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

bluethread wrote: Yes, Adonai created people who live in a way (ra' "evil") different from how He designed His people to live (tov "good").
So you're agreeing that God failed to achieve His original expectations and intentions.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
bluethread wrote: Yes, Adonai created people who live in a way (ra' "evil") different from how He designed His people to live (tov "good").
So you're agreeing that God failed to achieve His original expectations and intentions.
What do you believe those "original expectations and intentions" to have been?

Willum
Savant

Post #6

Post by Willum »

[Replying to bluethread]

No, no, no, you answer the question, please, it isn't OUR religion, it is yours.

If you want me to answer, it'd be imaginary being don't have expectations - so it really is better if you answer ToN's question, anyway, isn't it?
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

bjs
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by bjs »

[Replying to Zzyzx]

Accurate definitions and translations are essential to understanding any text. They are not games, nor are they an effort to conceal anything.

If you (general) are opposed to people providing a more precise translation of a word, then you are the only one playing games.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Zzyzx »

bjs wrote: Accurate definitions and translations are essential to understanding any text. They are not games, nor are they an effort to conceal anything.

If you (general) are opposed to people providing a more precise translation of a word, then you are the only one playing games.
The 'more accurate definitions and translations' are supplied by anonymous Internet posters -- who evidently know far more than official, professional, qualified Bible translators and editors.

Right?

Isaiah 45:7 is presented by Bible translators and editors as saying "I create evil".

Apologist debaters claim to know better than those Bible translators and editors what 'God said' and claim that 'I create evil' isn't what 'God said'.

We are certainly fortunate to have such eminently qualified people as members, aren't we?
bjs wrote: then you are the only one playing games.
Yup, quoting the Bible verbatim is 'playing games' (theologically speaking).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Willum
Savant

Post #9

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 7 by bjs]

So here's the thing:
I give you a medical journal in German, even though it is in another language, someone whose native language is English can decipher it very well, eventually.

The same is not true of a fantasy novel.

French is the same way.

My point is the truth can eventually be wrangled out of a document. We have histories of dead and forgotten languages being uncovered daily, in these epic moments of history. (For those of us who believe you can learn history from outside the Bible.)

However, for fantasy novels we have much greater difficulty. We needed the Rosetta Stone and other direct translations.

So, with the Bible we have had dedicated scholars dedicating their lives to getting the Bible right for centuries...
and they failed.

This should tell you about the Bible, definitively. It's contradictions, conflicts and so on...
am I wrong?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

bluethread wrote:
Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
What do you believe those "original expectations and intentions" to have been?
I can only go by what the Bible says to draw conclusions on what God originally intended. And the Bible seems to indicate very clearly that God failed to achieve His original intentions.

Gen.6
[5] And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
[6] And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
[7] And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

A statement so emphatic that it was repeated.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.