Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Soul

Post #1

Post by Youkilledkenny »

What is a soul?
Some say it's an energy of sorts but even animals (and some say plants) possess this energy. Does this mean every living thing has a soul? Or is the concept of the soul simply something that makes people feel superior to every thing else on the planet? Or, is it, (as some claim, like so many things 'Christian') simply a means of power and control over others - a piece of a larger puzzle so to speak?

Assuming a soul is real, how does the Christian concept of the soul clash (or meld) with other religions' concept of the soul?

Or is there no soul - no energy/inner self/spirit/etc. - and when you're dead, you're dead? Was the soul something people thought up to make the ease into nothingness (or the unknown) more palatable?

marco
Savant

Re: Soul

Post #2

Post by marco »

Youkilledkenny wrote: What is a soul?
Some say it's an energy of sorts but even animals (and some say plants) possess this energy. Does this mean every living thing has a soul?
My childhood catechism informed me that man, animal and plant have a soul. Only the soul in man is capable of existing when separated from the body. It has two great powers: intellect and will. It has a two-fold life - natural and supernatural life of sanctifying grace. Though the soul is immortal, sin can kill the supernatural life by sinning, but not the natural life.

It is difficult to see how such details came into man's domain, but there are wise people in the world.

Even wiser people differentiate between soul and spirit, drawing up a wonderful theology.

Because we are proud, read books and use google we probably think we possess something special that cat or a dormouse doesn't have. Ergo - a soul. Reading GOOD BOOKS, of course, confirms our belief.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Youkilledkenny]

For Jehovah's Witnesses the word "soul" is simply another word for "person" (or animal). We do believe that people are real but when they die they cease to exist.
Youkilledkenny wrote:... when you're dead, you're dead?
Yep... pretty much.
Youkilledkenny wrote:... Was the soul something people thought up to make the ease into nothingness (or the unknown) more palatable?
Probably.

I did write about this earlier, perhaps you missed my post
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 856#330856

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Youkilledkenny]

For Jehovah's Witnesses the word "soul" is simply another word for "person" (or animal). We do believe that people are real but when they die they cease to exist.
Youkilledkenny wrote:... when you're dead, you're dead?
Yep... pretty much.
Youkilledkenny wrote:... Was the soul something people thought up to make the ease into nothingness (or the unknown) more palatable?
Probably.

I did write about this earlier, perhaps you missed my post
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 856#330856

JW
Matthew 10:28 English Standard Version (ESV)
28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

It seems that the soul is not the same as the body according to the Jesus quote above. The body is different from the soul.

If the soul is the person, and the person isn't the body, then the soul may not cease to exist when the body dies.

Matthew 16:26
For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?

It appears that the soul is not the person according to the above quote. The soul seems to be something else which a person can forfeit.

It might be the data of experience. Like a hard-drive which stores information. If the soul is forfeit, the data of ones experience is deleted. That effectively means that the person (individuate consciousness) starts again with a blank slate.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #5

Post by Kenisaw »

Some say it's an energy of sorts but even animals (and some say plants) possess this energy. Does this mean every living thing has a soul? Or is the concept of the soul simply something that makes people feel superior to every thing else on the planet? Or, is it, (as some claim, like so many things 'Christian') simply a means of power and control over others - a piece of a larger puzzle so to speak?

Assuming a soul is real, how does the Christian concept of the soul clash (or meld) with other religions' concept of the soul?

Or is there no soul - no energy/inner self/spirit/etc. - and when you're dead, you're dead? Was the soul something people thought up to make the ease into nothingness (or the unknown) more palatable?
Souls are fantasy, regardless of why the concept was created or how it relates to any belief system that uses that concept. They are baseless, devoid of empirical data.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

It seems to me that whenever anyone talks about the soul, it involves things that the brain does. So from what I can see, "soul" is just another part of the brain.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

OnceConvinced wrote: It seems to me that whenever anyone talks about the soul, it involves things that the brain does. So from what I can see, "soul" is just another part of the brain.
When Hadrian wrote a poem about his soul he wished it farewell when he died and hoped it found a nice place to go. I think the idea of something surviving us after death is pretty universal. It's also a nice thought. Some individuals claim that after death they had a pleasant experience before being revived. Who knows?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

[Replying to post 3 by JehovahsWitness]
JehovahsWitness wrote: For Jehovah's Witnesses the word "soul" is simply another word for "person" (or animal). We do believe that people are real but when they die they cease to exist.

Youkilledkenny wrote:
... when you're dead, you're dead?

Yep... pretty much.
JW's and atheists seem to find themselves in agreement it would seem. At least on this subject. And I was unaware of it. So I will try to remember it in our future conversations. Please refresh my memory if I fail.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

marco wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: It seems to me that whenever anyone talks about the soul, it involves things that the brain does. So from what I can see, "soul" is just another part of the brain.
When Hadrian wrote a poem about his soul he wished it farewell when he died and hoped it found a nice place to go. I think the idea of something surviving us after death is pretty universal. It's also a nice thought. Some individuals claim that after death they had a pleasant experience before being revived. Who knows?
When people die who are especially close to us, it can leave a huge hole in our lives. Some people often find comfort in talking to the departed as they did when their loved one was still alive. Which can lead to the unfounded belief that their loved one is still capable of hearing what they are saying. Which in turn leads to the concept that the departed are now leading some type of continued existence. And as you pointed out, these notions are pretty universal. They are simply baseless assumptions however, and are not sustained by any actual evidence. So does that mean that these assumptions are not true? Well, things which are not true but are the result of make believe are invariably not sustained by any actual physical evidence. Does that mean ghosts and other forms of supernatural manifestations are not real? Almost certainly.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by ttruscott »

It has been described to me as a spirit (the person in its fulness of personality and personal characteristics) when it is locked into a body is a soul. It does not change but its new habitation gives it a new name referring to being in and animating the body, ie, nephesh, pneuma, breath, soul. Once the body dies, the soul is released as a free spirit once again.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.