I don't want your belief in my life

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Youkilledkenny
Sage

I don't want your belief in my life

Post #1

Post by Youkilledkenny »

Your family member wants nothing to do with your religion: they don't want to hear you profess how good God's been to you when you're in their home; they don't want you to ask them to go to church with you when you visit them; they don't want you to ask to say grace at Thanksgiving at their table; the list continues.
What do you do? Do you continue to witness in these manners while you're at their home or do you respect their wishes?
Why do you choose this reaction?

Odds are most people would be respectful of these requests - especially when they're in mixed company and/or outside their own home.

Should this be carried out within society as a larger whole?

Surely when you're in church if someone says "I don't want to hear about God" they would (and should) get a "are you serious right now?!?!" look. But in a society where Christianity is a minority, shouldn't Christians fall in line and respect the wishes of the majority and contain their beliefs to themselves unless otherwise invited to share?
Or is it a Christian's duty to be more 'in your face' and 'win souls'?

Kenisaw
Guru

Re: I don't want your belief in my life

Post #11

Post by Kenisaw »

Youkilledkenny wrote: Your family member wants nothing to do with your religion: they don't want to hear you profess how good God's been to you when you're in their home; they don't want you to ask them to go to church with you when you visit them; they don't want you to ask to say grace at Thanksgiving at their table; the list continues.
What do you do? Do you continue to witness in these manners while you're at their home or do you respect their wishes?
Why do you choose this reaction?

Odds are most people would be respectful of these requests - especially when they're in mixed company and/or outside their own home.

Should this be carried out within society as a larger whole?

Surely when you're in church if someone says "I don't want to hear about God" they would (and should) get a "are you serious right now?!?!" look. But in a society where Christianity is a minority, shouldn't Christians fall in line and respect the wishes of the majority and contain their beliefs to themselves unless otherwise invited to share?
Or is it a Christian's duty to be more 'in your face' and 'win souls'?
Personally, I don't care when people want to talk about something I have no interest in. I just tell them I have no interest in the topic. If they persist, I go do something else.

Everyone has the freedom of speech, and they also have the freedom to not speak if they so choose. Since I don't believe in "falling in line" I see no reason to do so in the course of a normal day.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #12

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 6 by bluethread]

Seems the question wasn't answered directly. How would you react?

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #13

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 8 by Demented_Literature]
I am stunned by your statement 'in a society where christian's are a minority'. In America a poll done showed that more than %70 of Americans are of a christian denomination
There are more societies than American, are they're not?
But to that point, are there not even smaller societies (say a family group, or small town or village) - or even group of unrelated people (say at a work function or your local country club) that should be considered as well?
Perhaps you're looking at the big picture and ignoring some of the smaller pictures?

Demented_Literature
Student

Post #14

Post by Demented_Literature »

Youkilledkenny wrote: [Replying to post 8 by Demented_Literature]
I am stunned by your statement 'in a society where christian's are a minority'. In America a poll done showed that more than %70 of Americans are of a christian denomination
There are more societies than American, are they're not?
But to that point, are there not even smaller societies (say a family group, or small town or village) - or even group of unrelated people (say at a work function or your local country club) that should be considered as well?
Perhaps you're looking at the big picture and ignoring some of the smaller pictures?
Perhaps; however religion has a strong way of forming communities like a glue so being a 'single' christian is unusual in my experiences.

Taking my atheist hat off for a second if I were you I would reach out and tell them that I would want to explain the situation. Fill them in with what they absolutely need to know about your religion (grace etc). If they don't accept you then you shouldn't really worry too much; the bible has contingencies for such things:

Mathew 6:6
But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

And to give you a bit more insight about your situation; you can read more into Mathew:

Mathew 6:23-33
32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Now if you don't mind; I'd like to put my Atheist hat back on for a moment and point out that I did ask what religion is dominant in your area?

Unfortunately (in my opinion) religion is a dominant practice almost everywhere in the world. So I was a little startled when you claimed to be a minority considering it's huge presence around the world. I would recommend seeking other Christians in your area and see how they are dealing with it. They would have more experience than any of us.

bluethread
Savant

Post #15

Post by bluethread »

Youkilledkenny wrote: [Replying to post 6 by bluethread]

The same way I react to those other issues. I engage the person in discussion, which means that I am then labeled as the bad guy instead of them. That is how it is with evangelicals of all strips. They are invested in gathering scalps and gaining acceptance from others, often by any means possible. Personally, though I like being accepted, I prefer to being able to live with myself more.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #16

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 15 by bluethread]
I engage the person in discussion...That is how it is with evangelicals of all strips.
Is it really...ALL strips?
You mention engaging in discussion, but that's not really what this thread was intended for. If you seen the OP, it's not about any discussion. It's about someone telling you (be it proactively or reactively) 'I don't want to hear about your stuff.' and what you do in response to that. I would doubt if someone says 'I don't want to hear about your stuff' they'd engage you with discussion.
That said, as you say you'd rather live with yourself more and be accepted, I would suspect you'd keep your mouth shut in that situation. Is that that round about way of you answering the original question?

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #17

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 14 by Demented_Literature]
however religion has a strong way of forming communities like a glue so being a 'single' christian is unusual in my experiences.
That they do, but I don't know of any Christian that lives in a vacuum.
Fill them in with what they absolutely need to know about your religion (grace etc).
Why does one person get to decide what another needs to know? What arrogance (I would assume) supplies that ability?
Now if you don't mind; I'd like to put my Atheist hat back on for a moment and point out that I did ask what religion is dominant in your area?
Hmm... did I make that claim somewhere?
religion is a dominant practice almost everywhere in the world.
Unfortunately that probably very true. Though religions are a dime a dozen Anyone can create any religion. People like money and to control the masses. Prostitution isn't the oldest profession, IMO, religion is.
I would recommend seeking other Christians in your area and see how they are dealing with it.
I have Christian friends. I know how they act - which is nothing like the ones here act. Thus the curiosity.

Demented_Literature
Student

Post #18

Post by Demented_Literature »

Youkilledkenny wrote:
That they do, but I don't know of any Christian that lives in a vacuum.
Arguably, god?
Why does one person get to decide what another needs to know? What arrogance (I would assume) supplies that ability?
This is extremely presumptuous. The initial post claims that they don't want anything to do with your religion. If that is the case; and you accept it you have no premise for an argument. Simply don't tell them; keep to yourself and move on. If you are 'arrogant' as you put it; enough to assume that they have no right to know; and they don't want to know. What arrogance is required to tell them anyway? Or find a way to get around their unwillingness to know?
Hmm... did I make that claim somewhere?
Did you make the claim to my question as to what religion is dominant in your area? I'm not sure; this question seems to be compounding in on itself. Is there anything else that should be attached to a simple question?

I have Christian friends. I know how they act - which is nothing like the ones here act. Thus the curiosity.
The reason for my concern is depending on your location and those around you; acting out of sorts could be harmful to your health and/or dangerous. I myself was an atheist in several highly religious places and I conformed to the beliefs of the people not to stand out.

If your christian friends act differently to the ones locally; then you should get in touch with the local ones. Depending on where you live it can change the answer quite dramatically.

If you're only after a general census of how Christians act in their general geography then I'm sure you'll get many others answering for themselves.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #19

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 18 by Demented_Literature]
Arguably, god?
Not if he interacts with us, like many claim
This is extremely presumptuous.
I agree. saying one person gets to decide what another needs to know is presumptuous.
Simply don't tell them; keep to yourself and move on.
Why not?
What arrogance is required to tell them anyway?
Indeed the question asked.
Or find a way to get around their unwillingness to know?
That's an option for sure, albeit sneaky and underhanded as far as I can see it.
Did you make the claim to my question as to what religion is dominant in your area? I'm not sure
I don't recall but if I did it was poor wording on my part or poor reading comprehension on another's.
acting out of sorts could be harmful to your health and/or dangerous
Could be. But it could also just...'be'.
If your christian friends act differently to the ones locally; then you should get in touch with the local ones.
The 'local ones' aren't of my concern as I'm curious about, in this case, the overall.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #20

Post by Kenisaw »

bluethread wrote:
Youkilledkenny wrote: [Replying to post 6 by bluethread]

The same way I react to those other issues. I engage the person in discussion, which means that I am then labeled as the bad guy instead of them. That is how it is with evangelicals of all strips. They are invested in gathering scalps and gaining acceptance from others, often by any means possible. Personally, though I like being accepted, I prefer to being able to live with myself more.
What's funny is that often the same thing happens to atheists. You engage in discussion, and get labeled as the bad guy. But like you said, living with myself matters more than how many people think I am a bad guy for being honest about how I feel