Hating God

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Hating God

Post #1

Post by Youkilledkenny »

Rather it's the actual God or the idea of God, do you think God is bad enough to be hated?
Why should God be hated?
Why shouldn't God be hated?

Or should God be loved more than anything else that has, does or will exist?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #11

Post by OnceConvinced »

Divine Insight wrote:
The idea that I would need to "fear" a loving God is utterly absurd. Especially a God that I am supposed to "love". :roll:

Why should I fear a God that is worthy of my love? Yet, in religions like Christianity and Islam we are supposed to fear this God that we are simultaneously supposed to love. That's an oxymoron right there.
This is so true. And doesn't God himself say that there is no fear in love?

1John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

We open up an even bigger can of worms when we talk about love and jealously. Just look at the what the bible says here!:

God is love - 1 John 4:8
Love is not jealous - 1 Corinthians 13:4
The Lord thy God is a jealous God - Deuteronomy 6:15.

The whole idea of God being love is just so ridiculously contradictory even if we go by the bible.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #12

Post by OnceConvinced »

Willum wrote: Well - assuming God exists, and nothing else, I imagine he's be like everything else in creation, doing the best he can, probably being misunderstood.

No one and nothing really wants to be hated, so God is probably an unwilling victim to false stories and allegations of characteristics he doesn't have.

So, I'd doubt he'd be worthy of hate.
Maybe those people who portray him a certain way so they can go murder people are deserving of hate.
Ahha! Now here is something worth considering.

Perhaps it's just that God gets a bad rap from his followers? They make him sound a lot worse than what he really is? Maybe without realising it, they have demonised their own god? Perhaps the bible writers are guilty of badmouthing their own god without even realising it? Perhaps God's own people are to blame for we skeptics view of him?

One thing I have found on this site is that Christians very much make their god sound bad. In fact many times they make him sound like a monster.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World