Russian Ban of Jehovah's Witnesses

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah's Witneses in Russia a facing an imminent ban which would criminalize all of Jehovah's Witnessses in the country as "extremists". Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide are presently conducting a letter writing campaign to protest this injustice.
CLATIFICATION 2020: Since the ban of the Watchtower Society was eventually passed in April 2017 thread is specifically to discuss the actual charges mentioned in the State procesution papers and the subseqent arrests under the specific charges under Article 282.2 (1) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation (RF Criminal Code) of EXTREMISM in Russia.

What is your opinion of this move? Should Jehovah's Witnesses be banned from meeting to pray, read their bibles and sing spiritual songs together?

Do you think such a move could be envisioned elsewhere?

If you are non-religious, would you welcome such measures as a move to ultimately eliminate organized religion?

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by- ... at-of-ban/
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #121

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
It's a shame they confused the Jehovah's Witnesses with the Catholics.
What is your opinion of this move? Should Jehovah's Witnesses be banned from meeting to pray, read their bibles and sing spiritual songs together?
Yeah, that's all they do.

/s
Do you think such a move could be envisioned elsewhere?
Sure.

Only I don't think such a move'd be so bad when it is, we're shutting us down the pedophiles and their defenders.
If you are non-religious, would you welcome such measures as a move to ultimately eliminate organized religion?
Religion is as organized as any crime family I can think of. I see little reason to exempt 'em from the law. Or taxes, but that's a whole 'nother deal.

(Though my post may represent as a blanket statement, I'm mostly getting at the individuals involved, there's us good'ns and bad'ns in nigh on every group)
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Russian Ban of Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #122

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Clownboat wrote:. I would feel sorry for any person that is beaten or raped over it, but would also hope that in the end they would be better off ...
Duly noted. Thank you for your input. I feel your compassion and appreciate your expressing your thoughts on the subject. I cannot say I would take the same position were it your wife or daughter but respect your right to say how you feel about what our own wives, children and old folk are experiencing.

JW
Perhaps you can attempt to elighten me about the benefits of superstitious beliefs for the humans on this planet? There are about 24 major god concepts and roughly 100 minor deities and spirits worshiped on this planet currently. Would the world be better off if both of those numbers were to increase? I would really love your thoughts on this and perhaps it might help you understand where I'm coming from.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #123

Post by Clownboat »

historia wrote:
Clownboat wrote:
Religion is decreasing on this planet.
This is simply mistaken. Religious adherence has been on the increase worldwide since the 1970s.
And yet atheism is growing faster then both Christinity and Islam.
Are you are arguing from quantity?

Billions, via reproduction will keep 'adherence' levels higher for the time being due to shear numbers and the tendency for children to initially take the religion of their parents. However, if atheism continues this current trend, then one day they will be the majority and will have higher 'adherence'. If atheism is increasing on a planet that has a religious majority, what can we infer?
That religious levels are increasing or decreasing percentage wise?
Clownboat wrote:
A recent global survey conducted by National Geographic shows that the worlds fastest growing religion is not Islam or Christianity, but no religion at all – atheism

According to the results, atheism is now the second largest religious affiliation in North America and the majority of Europe. In the United States alone approximately 22.8% of the population now identifies as atheist, up 6.7% from 2007. Furthermore, U.S. atheists now represent a larger portion of the population than Catholics, Protestants, and all other followers of non Christian faiths – such as Islam and Buddhism. This was not the case only a decade ago.
https://hackspirit.com/new-study-reveal ... ity-islam/
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... -religion/
These articles not only don't support the assertion that religion is decreasing on this planet, they actually say the exact opposite. Perhaps you just didn't read them carefully?
In the United States alone approximately 22.8% of the population now identifies as atheist, up 6.7% from 2007.
Can you show a religious increase such as this so I can compare growth?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Monta
Guru

Post #124

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 123 by Clownboat]

"And yet atheism is growing faster then both Christinity and Islam."

Perhaps in western countries where religion has been watered down.

I believe in Russia it is opposite.
They have rebuilt huge no of Churches sine 2000.

historia
Prodigy

Post #125

Post by historia »

Clownboat wrote:
If atheism is increasing on a planet that has a religious majority, what can we infer? That religious levels are increasing or decreasing percentage wise?
The National Geographic article that you cited says explicitly that, if current trends hold, "religion is growing so fast that nones’ share of the global population will actually shrink in 25 years."

Religious adherence is increasing as a percentage of the world's population. And this is simply a continuation of the same trend we've seen since the 1970s.
Clownboat wrote:
In the United States alone approximately 22.8% of the population now identifies as atheist, up 6.7% from 2007.
Nearly a quarter of the US population identifies as religiously unaffiliated or "nones" -- which includes atheists, but only as a small minority. But even then, the US is only 4.4% of the world's population, so this data set is simply too small to infer anything about the planet as a whole.
Clownboat wrote:
You mean other than in the article you yourself cited?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #126

Post by Clownboat »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 123 by Clownboat]

"And yet atheism is growing faster then both Christinity and Islam."

Perhaps in western countries where religion has been watered down.

I believe in Russia it is opposite.
They have rebuilt huge no of Churches sine 2000.
The religiously unaffiliated, called "nones," are growing significantly. They’re the second largest religious group in North America and most of Europe. In the United States, nones make up almost a quarter of the population. In the past decade, U.S. nones have overtaken Catholics, mainline protestants, and all followers of non-Christian faiths.

There have long been predictions that religion would fade from relevancy as the world modernizes, but all the recent surveys are finding that it’s happening startlingly fast. France will have a majority secular population soon. So will the Netherlands and New Zealand. The United Kingdom and Australia will soon lose Christian majorities. Religion is rapidly becoming less important than it’s ever been, even to people who live in countries where faith has affected everything from rulers to borders to architecture.

This is not to say that religion isn't still growing in 3rd world contries, but I would venture a guess that most of these people are just converting from one superstition to another, which would not be growth.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #127

Post by Clownboat »

historia wrote:
Clownboat wrote:
If atheism is increasing on a planet that has a religious majority, what can we infer? That religious levels are increasing or decreasing percentage wise?
The National Geographic article that you cited says explicitly that, if current trends hold, "religion is growing so fast that nones’ share of the global population will actually shrink in 25 years."
This is not a world wide trend. From the article: In many parts of the world—sub-Saharan Africa in particular...
Like I said above, I speculate that many in the sub-Sahara Africa specifically are just moving from one superstition to another. This is not the same as going from religious to none and vice a versa.
Religious adherence is increasing as a percentage of the world's population. And this is simply a continuation of the same trend we've seen since the 1970s.
Not the civilized world. Again, in sub Sahara and such, I expect that most people are converting from one superstition to another. The civilized world is seeing a growth in the non religious.
Clownboat wrote:
Nearly a quarter of the US population identifies as religiously unaffiliated or "nones" -- which includes atheists, but only as a small minority. But even then, the US is only 4.4% of the world's population, so this data set is simply too small to infer anything about the planet as a whole.
It's like you are not acknowledging the trend in the US and other countries. Sub Sahara and the like not included.
Clownboat wrote:
You mean other than in the article you yourself cited?
Citation requested. Remember, I'm looking for something that compares to the US going from 6.7% to 22.8% in about a decades time.
Thanks,

historia
Prodigy

Post #128

Post by historia »

[Replying to post 127 by Clownboat]

This really isn't that hard, Clownboat. Let's go back to your original assertion:
Clownboat wrote:
Religion is decreasing on this planet.
If you are going to make a claim about the entire planet, then you need to look at statistics for the entire planet, not just from one or two regions, like North America or Sub-Saharan Africa.

Luckily, we have pretty good worldwide demographic statistics on religious adherence from 1900 to the present, with projections out to 2050, courtesy of the World Religion Database, published by Brill.

Lots of reports and articles on religious trends use this database. The National Geographic article you cited above, for example, uses this database as its primary source. The Center for the Study of Global Christianity's report Christianity in its Global Context (2013) and the Pew Forum's Future of World Religions report (2015) also utilize this data.

All three of these sources say the same thing. The CSGC report notes that atheists and agnostics have dropped from 19.2% of the world's population in 1970 to 10.7% in 2020. Pew tracks a broader category of people who are religiously unaffiliated, which includes atheists and agnostics, but also people who believe in God but don't identify with any specific religious tradition. It calculates them as 16.4% of the population in 2010, dropping to 13.2% by 2050.

However you slice it, religious adherence is increasing as a percentage of the world's population. Your claim is therefore simply false.
Clownboat wrote:
This is not to say that religion isn't still growing in 3rd world contries, but I would venture a guess that most of these people are just converting from one superstition to another, which would not be growth.
This doesn't make any sense. If someone converts from one religion to another, that doesn't change the number of people who are religiously unaffiliated. So this kind of conversion has no impact on the numbers above.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #129

Post by Clownboat »

This doesn't make any sense. If someone converts from one religion to another, that doesn't change the number of people who are religiously unaffiliated. So this kind of conversion has no impact on the numbers above.
I would like to remind everyone that it was Historia that interjected religious 'adherence' into this, after the fact.

I was obviously too hasty in making the claim that religion is decreasing though. Adherence, as Historia interjected after the fact obviously is increasing due to the shear birthing power of 6 billion compared to the non religious. If this thread was about religious adherence, I would not have made the claim that I did. So can I show that the percntage of nones are growing significantly in many countries? Yes. However, adherence of the religious will continue to out pace the nones due to the shear volume of religious babies compare to non religious babies. This I do not dispute.

Four out of every 10 Christians in the world will live in sub-Saharan Africa. Superstions are on the decline in the civiliziled world, but we cannot take for granted the shear power of birthing more followers when talking adherence.

Religious people have more kids than secular people. And those nations today with the highest birthrates are the most religious, while those nations today with the lowest birthrates tend to be among the most secular - so demographically, in terms of who has more babies, the religious have the breeding advantage.

But for now, churches are closing across the world, faith is fading, and those men and women who live their lives according to secular values and humanist principles are on the rise.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/phil-zuc ... 89398.html
Phil Zuckerman
Professor of Sociology and Secular Studies, Pitzer College in Claremont, CA.

Question for you Historia.
All this religious growth in sub sahara for example...
Do you think this is atheists converting to religion, or more likely a large population of religious people having babies raised to be religious which obviously would create lost of 'adherents' like you brought into this discussion. I want to compare this thought with things like the US going from 6.7% to 22.8% in non belief in about a decades time. This is significant and not an anomoly in just the US. Therefore I have asked you if you could show a similar percentage increase of nones converting to a religion of some sort.

I'm trying to determine if more and more countries becoming non religious simply cannot cause a decrease in the amount of 'adherents' (again, a term you interjected here) due to the shear amount of babies born to religious people.

Obviously, if 6 billion religious people continue to make religious babies, 'adherence' will grow. Even if the percentage of religious people were to decrease as a whole.

If you look at the Pew graph, we need to acknowledge that the big 3 religions will have a population increase of 2,263,660,000. The unaffiliated only 99,190,000. This will cause religious adherence to grow and I do not dispute that. Note that even if the total population on earth had a 5% increase in not being religious, adherence would still grow.

It seems that religion is decreasing in the civilized world, but the amount of religious adherents are still growing as we would expect.

historia
Prodigy

Post #130

Post by historia »

Clownboat wrote:
I would like to remind everyone that it was Historia that interjected religious 'adherence' into this, after the fact.
"Religious adherence" just describes people who adhere to, or practice, a religion. If that's not what you're talking about, then what are you talking about?
Clownboat wrote:
I was obviously too hasty in making the claim that religion is decreasing though.
Good of you to admit this mistake. Now let's correct your next mistake:
Clownboat wrote:
It seems that religion is decreasing in the civilized world
What do you mean by the "civilized" world?
Clownboat wrote:
Therefore I have asked you if you could show a similar percentage increase of nones converting to a religion of some sort.
I'll answer this after you answer the question above. It's more entertaining that way.