Assessing why a Black man in America would be a Christian

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

BayAreaTodd827
Student

Post #1

Post by BayAreaTodd827 »

Have I been bamboozled into believing that the Christian faith is beneficial to me? Why have I chosen to be Christian in a "Christian nation" that historically has sought to deprive my race and gender of freedom and dignity?  

I have lived some decades. I have seen people, in the name of Christianity, trample over others for their own self-serving purposes.  I have witnessed men, by persuasive oratory, fool others into believing that such oratorical skill somehow makes them an authority and proprietor of truth and righteousness. I have seen this game's inevitable result - lies exposed.

I have observed the game played out time and again. Sometimes it is played by those who enter the Christian faith minded to “play�.  At other times, it is played by those who entered the faith with a sincere passion for God, but at some point they became disillusioned by it all and decide to simply go along with the “play-book� because this is what the majority seem to be doing - feigning perfection.

With my education and exposure to all of this, isn’t it about time that I give up the “Christian� mantle?  After all, I am a pretty-well informed and educated person. I completed undergrad and graduate school, and I've traveled a bit.  Again, I also know the games people play (whether I choose to indulge in them or not).

Am I not perpetuating the fraud by endorsing a belief system that is replete with hypocrites and deceivers?

The uncomplicated response to the last question posed is, NO! I stand by Christianity based on its own merit, not based on the actions of people who claim to be followers.

The not so easy related question might be, how, with my knowledge, understanding, and experience, am I going to convince others (particularly someone who has been jaded by what they’ve seen by others), to become a Christian?  

Another related question is why even bother to try?

In terms of the "why bother" question, it is because I am duty bound as a Christian to promote the Christian faith. This is part of being "faithful".  Whether I succeed is outside my control. My love for God and His Son/my savior compels me to try. 

It is my position that the Christian faith (based on the scriptural standard contained in what is commonly called the Bible) is the most beneficial for mankind. Bar none. It is beneficial in this life as well as for it’s promise of eternal life. This applies to me as an African-American and all mankind.

I invite dialogue on the topic. I am not seeking to judge anyone. I readily admit that in my dialogue my aim will be to seek to defend the faith I hold, AND, to encourage whomever might read this to become as I am - A Christian.  Feel free to respond publicly or privately. I'll respond in kind.

I look forward to mutually respectful and non-judgmental dialogue.

A prelude to my thoughts...

The apostle Paul communicated a fundamental truth about the expectation and need for every able-bodied person to grow up and make decision in accordance with this growth.  In 1 Corinthians 13:11 (King James Version) he says – “When I was a child I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man I put away childish things.�

In short, while I may have grown up in and around the Christian faith (and of course was influenced by this upbringing) I am not a Christian today simply as a result of that influence.  I have lived a life where I have seen and heard many things.  The culmination of this has lead me to choosing Jesus Christ. A simple but fully excercised choice.

BayAreaTodd827
Student

Post #2

Post by BayAreaTodd827 »

Have I been bamboozled into believing that the Christian faith is beneficial to me? Why have I chosen to be Christian in a "Christian nation" that historically has sought to deprive my race and gender of freedom and dignity?  

I have lived some decades. I have seen people, in the name of Christianity, trample over others for their own self-serving purposes.  I have witnessed men, by persuasive oratory, fool others into believing that such oratorical skill somehow makes them an authority and proprietor of truth and righteousness. I have seen this game's inevitable result - lies exposed.

I have observed the game played out time and again. Sometimes it is played by those who enter the Christian faith minded to “play�.  At other times, it is played by those who entered the faith with a sincere passion for God, but at some point they became disillusioned by it all and decide to simply go along with the “play-book� because this is what the majority seem to be doing - feigning perfection.

With my education and exposure to all of this, isn’t it about time that I give up the “Christian� mantle?  After all, I am a pretty-well informed and educated person. I completed undergrad and graduate school, and I've traveled a bit.  Again, I also know the games people play (whether I choose to indulge in them or not).

Am I not perpetuating the fraud by endorsing a belief system that is replete with hypocrites and deceivers?

The uncomplicated response to the last question posed is, NO! I stand by Christianity based on its own merit, not based on the actions of people who claim to be followers.

The not so easy related question might be, how, with my knowledge, understanding, and experience, am I going to convince others (particularly someone who has been jaded by what they’ve seen by others), to become a Christian?  

Another related question is why even bother to try?

In terms of the "why bother" question, it is because I am duty bound as a Christian to promote the Christian faith. This is part of being "faithful".  Whether I succeed is outside my control. My love for God and His Son/my savior compels me to try. 

It is my position that the Christian faith (based on the scriptural standard contained in what is commonly called the Bible) is the most beneficial for mankind. Bar none. It is beneficial in this life as well as for it’s promise of eternal life. This applies to me as an African-American and all mankind.

I invite dialogue on the topic. I am not seeking to judge anyone. I readily admit that in my dialogue my aim will be to seek to defend the faith I hold, AND, to encourage whomever might read this to become as I am - A Christian.  Feel free to respond publicly or privately. I'll respond in kind.

I look forward to mutually respectful and non-judgmental dialogue.

A prelude to my thoughts...

The apostle Paul communicated a fundamental truth about the expectation and need for every able-bodied person to grow up and make decision in accordance with this growth.  In 1 Corinthians 13:11 (King James Version) he says – “When I was a child I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man I put away childish things.�

In short, while I may have grown up in and around the Christian faith (and of course was influenced by this upbringing) I am not a Christian today simply as a result of that influence.  I have lived a life where I have seen and heard many things.  The culmination of this has lead me to choosing Jesus Christ. A simple but fully excercised choice.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Assessing why a Black man in America would be a Christia

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by BayAreaTodd827]

The Christian message is a universal one, the God of the bible does not judge people by the colour of their skin. True Christianity should reflect this .

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

theophile
Guru

Post #4

Post by theophile »

As a white Canadian I can only offer limited perspective. But I would think that the history of Black Americans under the oppression of slavery, segregation, etc, would find great comfort, resonance and inspiration in the bible, which speaks on behalf of, and sides with, the oppressed. Restoring them to a place of pride.

So good on you and the whole history of Black Americans who were able to see the truth of that message while not being dissuaded or fooled by its so-called followers... For not abandoning it because of the idiots who claimed to own the Word but in fact oppressed it through their fallen worldviews.

(Good on you for standing behind that Word and wanting to free it from its oppressors.)

Willum
Savant

Post #5

Post by Willum »

BATodd-
Why indeed should you live in the shadow of Ham, when by simply ignoring a book composed of the stories from other cultures, you can join a brotherhood of men. Indeed look how this fraternity was removed from people, based on this Bible. When you look at how black people were treated before the ascendance of the faith: Septimus, emperor of Rome, in Arthurian literature - anytime before the great ships opened up "trade," - you see reverence and occasionally nobility.
Indeed, I did not think of this a deeply, or as eloquently as yourself, but you are absolutely right, although modern apologist claim that is not the reason for modern demeaning of/in race, what occurred in the past is history, and that history causes a perception that is a stain on us today. How difficult is it to get rid of a perception re-enforced by a visual cue, and natural human predilection to distrust the different? Then re-enforced by divine law?
Noah, one of the fathers of man, cursed one of his sons to serve the others? What kind of [you can't say that on DCR] is that? Then you have in addition the OT injunctions and rules for slavery - it's essentially a two-fold prong that allows Jewish and Christian acceptance of what I'd call blatant evil.
I don't even see the perception even being removed until the OT is discredited. There will always be that shadow of Noah's son, and the Curse of Ham.
Last edited by Willum on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #6

Post by benchwarmer »

Umm, why have you posted this in three spots? It's hard to have a coherent discussion when you shotgun your message over three threads.

Is this some sort of symbolic representation of the state of Christianity and it's multiple denominations? :)

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #7

Post by benchwarmer »

Cut and paste from the exact same thread in TD&D:

Umm, why have you posted this in three spots? It's hard to have a coherent discussion when you shotgun your message over three threads.

Is this some sort of symbolic representation of the state of Christianity and it's multiple denominations? :)

Willum
Savant

Post #8

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

That's really nice to say, and indeed any apologetic can SAY it. But can you back it up with a Bible verse or two? Perhaps a specific one? This is the Doctrine section, so the Bible reigns supreme. A verse that obviates the Curse of Ham?

That would be outstanding.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #9

Post by oldbadger »

Hi......
Well, Paul supported slavery and instructed slaves to obey both kind and 'forward' masters. I think he told slaves to be content in their positions.

You probably know KHV bretter than me, but if you need me to post up these instructions, the inerrant and divine word of God, as writ large through his ordained prophet Paul, I will dig 'em out for you. :)

oldbadger
Guru

Post #10

Post by oldbadger »

oldbadger wrote: [Replying to post 1 by BayAreaTodd827]

Hi......
Well, Paul supported slavery and instructed slaves to obey both kind and 'forward' masters. I think he told slaves to be content in their positions.

You probably know KHV bretter than me, but if you need me to post up these instructions, the inerrant and divine word of God, as writ large through his ordained prophet Paul, I will dig 'em out for you. :)
Here you go.....
When Roman masters (and later on American ones) were thrashing their slaves mercilessly for some demeanour or other, they could do so, comforted that their actions were holy as written by ordained apostles and prophets, the divine words of your God.

Me? I'm a Deist. :)

(1 Peter 2:18)
(Ephesians 6:5)
(Colossians 3:22)
(Titus 2:9)
(1 Timothy 6:1-2)