Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Science = look forward . . . . Religion = look backward

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Science is constantly, actively seeking to learn new things and to expand human knowledge

Religion consistently rehashes ancient opinions and stories without adding new information.

Why prefer to look backward for 'inspiration' and 'wisdom'? Is modern knowledge inferior to that of ancient storytellers?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Wootah
Savant

Re: Science = look forward . . . . Religion = look backward

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

Zzyzx wrote: .

Science is constantly, actively seeking to learn new things and to expand human knowledge

Religion consistently rehashes ancient opinions and stories without adding new information.

Why prefer to look backward for 'inspiration' and 'wisdom'? Is modern knowledge inferior to that of ancient storytellers?
It appears you are as willing to succumb as any to stories if you believe what you wrote. Second, the study of history or experience is important and many sciences rely on history and the historical record. Indeed to understand how the universe began is a study in history. Looking backward is valuable.

Look at you. You live well without many of sciences inventions. Surely that is wisdom from looking backwards.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

Z, that is an interesting observation, but I think it is a false dichotomy. Science and religion attempt to answer different questions. Science answers the "how" of existence, religion (like philosophy) attempts to answer the "whys".

Also, looking backwards sometimes is very constructive. In literature, we have the classics. (music too, for that matter) Many think music reached it's zenith with Mozart...is enjoying his music today "looking back"? Yes, but is that a bad thing?

Religion too, is like music and literature in that regard. In these cases, one taps into timeless Wisdom by "looking backwards".
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #4

Post by Clownboat »

Why?
Because if your capable of applying faith to things, then pick a religion. At that point you can assume you have the answers and you don't have to do any actual study.

Why study the age of the earth for example if you have a book that you believe gives you the answers?

If a person wants answers, they can either go get them, or pick a religion and have them provided. No further work is then needed.

So modern knowledge is not inferior, it's just harder to get then believing ancient tales.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #5

Post by Clownboat »

Elijah John wrote:

Z, that is an interesting observation, but I think it is a false dichotomy. Science and religion attempt to answer different questions. Science answers the "how" of existence, religion (like philosophy) attempts to answer the "whys".

Also, looking backwards sometimes is very constructive. In literature, we have the classics. (music too, for that matter) Many think music reached it's zenith with Mozart...is enjoying his music today "looking back"? Yes, but is that a bad thing?

Religion too, is like music and literature in that regard. In these cases, one taps into timeless Wisdom by "looking backwards".
You're not the typical believer though. (And it is refreshing).

Also, both science and religion provide 'hows' as to how we humans got here and most Christians don't read Genesis as philosophy. Those Christians seem to treat ancient stories with more credibility then modern knowledge.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

Archeology is looking forward? Astronomy is looking forward? I seem to recall being told that when we look at the stars, we are traveling back in time.

I thought the scientific method was based on repeatedly replicating a procedure to make sure that it still works the way it is believed to have worked in the past. Sounds like a lot of rehashing to me.
Much "modern knowledge" is based on the knowledge of ancient story tellers, other "modern knowledge" is speculation based on statistics and generalization. There are many ways of gaining 'inspiration' and 'wisdom'. I prefer the "all of the above" approach.

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

Clownboat wrote:
You're not the typical believer though. (And it is refreshing).

Also, both science and religion provide 'hows' as to how we humans got here and most Christians don't read Genesis as philosophy. Those Christians seem to treat ancient stories with more credibility then modern knowledge.
So, EJ is not a true Scotsman? No reason to call off the dogs King Longshanks, we know that all of those others need to be brought to the service of the crown.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Elijah John wrote:

Religion makes declarations of facts and then declares the matter settled for all time. It's called dogma. Science builds on the information it gathers, which it uses to further its investigations and thereby continuously adding to and building knowledge. Both science and religion attempt to answer the questions of existence. How is Z's comment a "false dichotomy?"

"Timeless wisdom" which has proven itself to be unrelated to anything valid and true over the centuries is not "wisdom" of any sort. On the other hand, wisdom which encourages people to live together in peace and harmony is older than the Bible.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is explanation; go and learn." Hillel the Elder (c. 1st century BC)

"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself." — Confucius (c. 500 BC)

"Avoid doing what you would blame others for doing." – Thales (c. 624 BC – c. 546 BC)

"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." (Egyptian proverb c. 2,000 BC)
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #9

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 7 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Hillel is Bible (and Talmud) based Wisdom. The other examples you cited are timelessl ancient sources. They, in their universality and antiquity, also support the notion of timeless Wisdom.

"Looking back" in these cases is also beneficial and not exclusive to Biblical, Christian and Jewish Wisdom.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 7 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Hillel is Bible (and Talmud) based Wisdom. The other examples you cited are timelessl ancient sources. They, in their universality and antiquity, also support the notion of timeless Wisdom.

"Looking back" in these cases is also beneficial and not exclusive to Biblical, Christian and Jewish Wisdom.
I agree wholeheartedly. Without the basic concept of the golden rule no society would survive long without falling into anarchy. The concept of the golden rule is the foundation for all morality.

I happen to moderate the "Supports The Golden Rule" usergroup and would like to extend an invitation for you to join. Membership implies no further obligations. And you are free to quit if even that burden becomes to heavy.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.