Believing in Jesus

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Believing in Jesus

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten so, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
John 3.16

Compare:
And he believed in Jehovah; and he reckoned it to him for righteousness.
Genesis 15.6

Believing in Jesus, is said is enough, for salvation. Genesis has it that to believe in Jehovah is sufficient.

-----

For debate, isn't simply believing in Jehovah enough to attain salvation? This in spite of John 3.16 and 14.6?

If not, how do you reconcile the verses from John to the verse from Genesis?

And if you take Genesis 15.6 at face value, isn't that proof that Jews also are saved by simply believing in YHVH?

It's all about belief, right? If so why should belief in the Son be more salvific than simply believing in the Father?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Believing in Jesus

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Elijah John wrote: It's all about belief, right?
I thought it was supposed to be about morality?

When did it get derailed to be become a religion about belief?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

If belief is enough for salvation, then it doesn't matter what you believe.

Believe in Jesus.
Believe in iove.
Believe in Krishna.
Believe in Yahweh.
Believe in the Ishtar Bunny.

If you believe you will be saved, who can tell you you will not be?

dio9
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by dio9 »

Elijah John wrote:
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten so, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
John 3.16

Compare:
Genesis 15.6

Believing in Jesus, is said is enough, for salvation. Genesis has it that to believe in Jehovah is sufficient.

-----

For debate, isn't simply believing in Jehovah enough to attain salvation? This in spite of John 3.16 and 14.6?

And if you take Genesis 15.6 at face value, isn't that proof that Jews also are saved by simply believing in YHVH?

It's all about belief, right? If so why should belief in the Son be more salvific than simply believing in the Father?
I'm of the opinion belief without works is dead.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by ttruscott »

Elijah John wrote:It's all about belief, right? If so why should belief in the Son be more salvific than simply believing in the Father?

I agree - belief in YHWH is belief in Jesus...belief in Jesus is a belief in YHWH.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ttruscott »

Willum wrote: If belief is enough for salvation, then it doesn't matter what you believe.

Believe in Jesus.
Believe in iove.
Believe in Krishna.
Believe in Yahweh.
Believe in the Ishtar Bunny.

If you believe you will be saved, who can tell you you will not be?
YHWH tells us that only belief as faith in HIS Son has salvation. The others seem to be lying when they claim that YHWH is one of them and just alright so all is ok...James 2:19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder....because they know they are doomed already ! because belief as knowledge without faith is worthless.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #7

Post by Elijah John »

dio9 wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
John 3.16

Compare:
Genesis 15.6

-----

I'm of the opinion belief without works is dead.
True, but if it all starts with belief, belief in YHVH, works follow, as it is with belief in Jesus, works follow.

Why not go right to the source? And isn't this, after all, what the historical Jesus very likely preached, faith in YHVH?

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

ttruscott wrote:
Elijah John wrote:It's all about belief, right? If so why should belief in the Son be more salvific than simply believing in the Father?

I agree - belief in YHWH is belief in Jesus...belief in Jesus is a belief in YHWH.
So then, if someone believes in the Father, but not the Son, (at least not in the way that most Trinitarians do), are they still saved?

-YHVH is LORD

onewithhim
Savant

Post #9

Post by onewithhim »

Elijah John wrote:
John 3.16

Compare:
Genesis 15.6

-----

Since the Messiah hadn't come yet, and was still a mystery to men, faith in Jehovah and "walking" with Him was sufficient for salvation. I would think, too, that the faithful men of ancient times had some inkling of a Messiah to come, after learning what Jehovah said to Satan after Adam rebelled (Genesis 3:15). Trusting that that would happen, and respecting all of Jehovah's plans and purposes, a person could be counted righteous because that person was totally devoted to Jehovah. Those that didn't know Jehovah in ancient times will be given the opportunity to learn about Him and Jesus Christ during the Millennium. ("There will be a resurrection of the righteous and the unrighteous." [Acts 24:15])

Now, if the ancient men of old looked forward to Jehovah's plans unfolding, why would anyone reject Jesus when he came? He was Jehovah's means of salvation. Those people that were alive when Jesus was born on Earth were actually looking forward to his birth; at least those people who were faithful to Jehovah. (See Luke 2:25-32, 36-38.)

So, to accept Jesus is tantamount to believing in Jehovah and accepting His plans. He planned from Genesis 3:15 to save mankind through a Savior.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

onewithhim wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
John 3.16

Compare:
Genesis 15.6

-----

Since the Messiah hadn't come yet, and was still a mystery to men, faith in Jehovah and "walking" with Him was sufficient for salvation. I would think, too, that the faithful men of ancient times had some inkling of a Messiah to come, after learning what Jehovah said to Satan after Adam rebelled (Genesis 3:15). Trusting that that would happen, and respecting all of Jehovah's plans and purposes, a person could be counted righteous because that person was totally devoted to Jehovah. Those that didn't know Jehovah in ancient times will be given the opportunity to learn about Him and Jesus Christ during the Millennium. ("There will be a resurrection of the righteous and the unrighteous." [Acts 24:15])

Now, if the ancient men of old looked forward to Jehovah's plans unfolding, why would anyone reject Jesus when he came? He was Jehovah's means of salvation. Those people that were alive when Jesus was born on Earth were actually looking forward to his birth; at least those people who were faithful to Jehovah. (See Luke 2:25-32, 36-38.)

So, to accept Jesus is tantamount to believing in Jehovah and accepting His plans. He planned from Genesis 3:15 to save mankind through a Savior.

Jehovah stated that He was the only savior. In the Hebrew Bible (Isaiah 43.11) He indicates that He can do the job alone. Simple repentance and faith was enough for Abraham, why not us, or everyone ever since?

It is Biblical.

Perhaps believing in the conduit, (Jesus) is good for salvation, but YHVH clearly offers a more direct route as well. Not only a more direct route as well, a direct route as an established prescedent. Namely, simply believing in Jehovah.

And consider some of the Spiritual advantages of pure Monotheism and simple repentance over Jesus- brokered intervention:

-No risk of anything that even smacks of the idolatry of Jesus-worship.
-More focused devotion to Jehovah, and Him alone, adhering to the Shema that He revealed in the Fist Commandment.
-No need to work Jesus into every passage of the "Old" Testament where he doesn't exist.
-No convoluted theology of the Trinitarian construct of "3 is 1, and 1 is 3".
-No barbaric blood theology, but rather worshiping God in Spirit and in Truth.
-Taking Jehovah at His Word in Genesis 15.6:
And not just Abraham, for:
whosoever shall call on the name of Jehovah shall be delivered
Joel 2.32

-YHVH is LORD