How important is religion in your life?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

How important is religion in your life and your decisions and actions currently?

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
Zero
100%

Total votes: 4

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

How important is religion in your life?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

How important is religion in your life and your decisions and actions currently?

On a scale of 0 (no importance) to 5 (dominating importance)

Has this changed substantially during your life? In what way(s)?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

I, of course, chose zero.

That has not changed significantly for about seventy years -- though it may have been one at about age twenty (I was once married in a church).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: How important is religion in your life?

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

Zzyzx wrote: .

On a scale of 0 (no importance) to 5 (dominating importance)
The problem with this question is that many Christians don't see themselves as religious (even though the rest of us do) and believe that they are in a relationship with God/Jesus, (even though they conduct numerous religious rituals lie prayer, baptism, communion etc), so they will most likely vote 0.

As for me, religion has absolutely zero influence on my life right now. The bible has absolutely no bearing on any decisions I make.

As for when I was a Christian, well I wouldn't have liked to have called myself religious as I didn't see myself that way. I did not see Christianity as a religion, much like most Christians don't. (even though the bible makes it quite clear Christianity is a religion - James 1:26-27). However, if we are going to class being "in a relationship with God" as being in a religion, then at one stage it was extremely important in my life. I lived my life following Christ's standards. I did so very sincerely. Every single day, my life revolved around Jesus and what it was that he wanted in my life. The bible was considered extremely important. In fact I saw it as the word of God, whether it was infallible or not.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World