Encouraged to read the Bible.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Encouraged to read the Bible.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Evangelical preachers and Bible teachers encourage their converts to study the Bible every day.

None, it seems, (or very few) seem to differ or have original interpretations as to what they read and encounter in their studies.

Not many if any veer from the standard Evangelical interpretation of the Bible.

For debate:

What accounts for unanimity in Evangelical interpretation of the Bible? Given that they have no "Pope" per se.

Can any Evangelical have original thoughts on Scripture that veer from established doctrine and remain "saved"? Or remain Evangelical Church members in good standing?

We have a few here on these boards to seem to be "free lancers" and think for themselves. But only a handful.

So finally: Is there "danger" in encouraging the convert to pursue daily Bible study on their own?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Encouraged to read the Bible.

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote:Is there "danger" in encouraging the convert to pursue daily Bible study on their own?
None at all. Those that live alone have little choice.

Former Headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses

Jehovah's Witnesses are encouraged to read the bible daily. I have done for a number of years. I begin each and every day with bible reading, prayer and meditating, it puts me in a good frame of mind for the rest of the day and would highly recommend it.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Elijah John wrote:Is there "danger" in encouraging the convert to pursue daily Bible study on their own?

Jehovah's Witnesses are encouraged to read the bible daily. I have done for a number of years. I begin each and every day with bible reading, prayer and meditating, it puts me in a good frame of mind for the rest of the day and would highly recommend it.

JW
Have you every discovered anything in your readings and mediations at variance with WTS teaching?

How would you handle it if you did?

-YHVH is LORD

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ttruscott »

Elijah John wrote:For debate:
I understand this must conform to the debate rules but this will not be, can't be answered with proofs and evidences but with dialogue ...
What accounts for unanimity in Evangelical interpretation of the Bible? Given that they have no "Pope" per se.
First what are the options? Commitment to that singularity of interpretation as an answer to what is seen to be the excesses of other sectarian interpretations...?

The work of GOD in the movement? The work of Satan in the movement?
Can any Evangelical have original thoughts on Scripture that veer from established doctrine and remain "saved"? Or remain Evangelical Church members in good standing?
Wiki wrote: Evangelicalism:
Evangelicalism, Evangelical Christianity, or Evangelical Protestantism[a] is a worldwide, transdenominational movement within Protestant Christianity which maintains the belief that the essence of the gospel consists of the doctrine of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ's atonement. Evangelicals believe in the centrality of the conversion or the "born again" experience in receiving salvation, in the authority of the Bible as God's revelation to humanity, and in spreading the Christian message.
This covers quite a bit of latitude and People who hold to some slight difference of opinion are well tolerated.

As individual as my take on our creation and our fall is, I am accepted in the Evangelical churches as conforming to Evangelical ideals since I suport all they stand for since they concentrate on the salvic part of the story and my differences are with only the doctrine of the fall and creation. They do seem to parrot the opinion of PCE as heresy since the church they hate deemed it heretical when they denounced Origen in a political dispute, c300AD.
We have a few here on these boards to seem to be "free lancers" and think for themselves. But only a handful.

So finally: Is there "danger" in encouraging the convert to pursue daily Bible study on their own?
I have never been involved with a Church that did not encourage personal prayerful Bible study...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

JW
Have you every discovered anything in your readings and mediations at variance with WTS teaching?

How would you handle it if you did?

No, I have not... it's not likely to after 35 years of reading every word of the bible through from cover to cover, since the age of 13 .... it's hardly likely I'll discover a verse I've never read before.

What would I do? I'd think, "That's interesting"... and then go and have some breakfast like I usually do.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

I am one of those.

It is my view that such "original thoughts" are inevitable if one reads and ponders on the meaning of what is written in scripture.

Jesus was full of "original thoughts" from the writings he had.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #7

Post by Elijah John »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

I am one of those.

It is my view that such "original thoughts" are inevitable if one reads and ponders on the meaning of what is written in scripture.

Can you give us an example of something you have discovered in your Bible studies/readings that is at variance with conventional Evangelical orthodoxy?

-YHVH is LORD

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

Elijah John wrote:So finally: Is there "danger" in encouraging the convert to pursue daily Bible study on their own?
The mark of GOD's touch upon a man looks much like the hand of Satan upon him to other sinners. Reading the Bible every day is a dangerous thing to do if you like your life the way it is...

Grab the Bible and hang onto your hat...!
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Checkpoint »

Elijah John wrote:

I am one of those.

Can you give us an example of something you have discovered in your Bible studies/readings that is at variance with conventional Evangelical orthodoxy?

Yes, what is called by those who hold it, "Conditional Immortality".

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

Checkpoint wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

I am one of those.

Yes, what is called by those who hold it, "Conditional Immortality".
Would you explain to us what that it is, and how it differs form conventional Evangelical thought?

-YHVH is LORD