Encouraged to read the Bible.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Encouraged to read the Bible.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Evangelical preachers and Bible teachers encourage their converts to study the Bible every day.

None, it seems, (or very few) seem to differ or have original interpretations as to what they read and encounter in their studies.

Not many if any veer from the standard Evangelical interpretation of the Bible.

For debate:

What accounts for unanimity in Evangelical interpretation of the Bible? Given that they have no "Pope" per se.

Can any Evangelical have original thoughts on Scripture that veer from established doctrine and remain "saved"? Or remain Evangelical Church members in good standing?

We have a few here on these boards to seem to be "free lancers" and think for themselves. But only a handful.

So finally: Is there "danger" in encouraging the convert to pursue daily Bible study on their own?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

tam
Savant

Re: Encouraged to read the Bible.

Post #11

Post by tam »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Interesting question. I've wondered that myself.

But while they might not have a pope, there is apparently a national association of evangelicals, and said association(s) have set out specific statements of faith (doctrines):

https://www.nae.net/statement-of-faith/

There are other such associations/organizations as well, sharing roughly the same statements of faith (different wording perhaps), in their 'statements of faith' section (which they also all have online).

Of course, just because they share these same statements of faith, that does not make those statements of faith true.

Christ - His word and His deeds - would be the standard for what is true (Him being the Truth).

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Checkpoint »

Elijah John wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]
Can any Evangelical have original thoughts on Scripture that veer from established doctrine and remain "saved"? Or remain Evangelical Church members in good standing?

We have a few here on these boards to seem to be "free lancers" and think for themselves. But only a handful.
I am one of those.

It is my view that such "original thoughts" are inevitable if one reads and ponders on the meaning of what is written in scripture.

Jesus was full of "original thoughts" from the writings he had.
Can you give us an example of something you have discovered in your Bible studies/readings that is at variance with conventional Evangelical orthodoxy?

Yes, what is called by those who hold it, "Conditional Immortality".
Would you explain to us what that it is, and how it differs form conventional Evangelical thought?
It is the belief that man, as a unit, is mortal, and that immortality is conditional on a person becoming a believer in Christ, and will be given through resurrection at his return.

This is in contrast to other Christians, who believe that only the body is mortal and "the soul" is immortal, whether saved or unsaved.

http://rethinkinghell.com/about/conditional-immortality

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #13

Post by benchwarmer »

Elijah John wrote: So finally: Is there "danger" in encouraging the convert to pursue daily Bible study on their own?
Yes, it's what led to my deconversion. I decided not to just read the 'nice bits' put forward in church or the suggested readings of various Bible studies. I read and studied the whole thing cover to cover (in addition to the sporadic reading I had done previously).

Once I discovered the many issues and the true nature of the god put forward, I found it impossible to retain my intellectual honesty and continue to believe the tales therein.

So yes, it can be "dangerous" to encourage daily Bible study. One might accidentally study the whole thing :)

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Yes, they can have "original thoughts" on Scripture that Evangelicals recognise as being part of the received canon.

No "free-lancer" can use their freedom to reject what does not agree with their own preferences.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #15

Post by Elijah John »

Yes, they can have "original thoughts" on Scripture that Evangelicals recognise as being part of the received canon.

No "free-lancer" can use their freedom to reject what does not agree with their own preferences.
Not talking about variance with established canon, but variance with established interpretation of canon, i. e. orthodoxy.

In this case, Evangelical orthodoxy.

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #16

Post by Elijah John »

Elijah John wrote:

Not talking about variance with established canon, but variance with established interpretation of canon, i. e. orthodoxy.

In this case, Evangelical orthodoxy.
The exapmple you gave earlier about "conditional immortality" seems a minor variance with conventional Trinitarian thought.

Let's examine another example. Say a Trinitarian read the Bible on their own,and discovered, that indeed, Jesus is not God, but rather the "Son of God". And that the title "Son of God" does not mean "equal to God".

And as a result, became a Jehovah's Witness.

Wouldn't that person be demonstrating independent thought? Independent from their previous conditioning?

-YHVH is LORD

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 16 by Elijah John]

Let's examine another example. Say a Trinitarian read the Bible on their own,and discovered, that indeed, Jesus is not God, but rather the "Son of God". And that the title "Son of God" does not mean "equal to God".

Wouldn't that person be demonstrating independent thought? Independent from their previous conditioning?
Indeed.

That is exactly what I have done, as can be seen from my posts to this forum.

Not that it has resulted in my becoming a JW, though!

Elijah John
Savant

Post #18

Post by Elijah John »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 16 by Elijah John]

Indeed.

Where else can we "Christian heritics" go? That is if we don't want to become JWs. ;)

-YHVH is LORD

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by Checkpoint »

Elijah John wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 16 by Elijah John]

Indeed.

Where else can we "Christian heritics" go? That is if we don't want to become JWs. ;)
We can go any place we are welcomed, but not to expound on our views.

I am with an orthodox charismatic fellowship.

My unorthodox viws are little known, and it is not too hard to exercise grace toward what I do not agree with.
1 Corinthians 8:1

Now concerning food offered to idols: we know that “all of us possess knowledge.� This “knowledge� puffs up, but love builds up.

tam
Savant

Post #20

Post by tam »

Elijah John wrote:

Not where... but to whom.

"To whom else will we go, Lord? You have the words of eternal life...." John 6:68

Peace to you and to your loved ones,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy