No Hebrews in Egypt and no Exodus?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

No Hebrews in Egypt and no Exodus?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

It is now believed that the first seven book of the Bible were written about 800-700 AD perhaps by Jews living in Babylon.

And archeology has determined that there were no Hebrews in Egypt and hence no Exodus.

How do those of the Jewish faith make an adjustment to these new findings? How do Christians?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: No Hebrews in Egypt and no Exodus?

Post #2

Post by 2timothy316 »

polonius.advice wrote: It is now believed that the first seven book of the Bible were written about 800-700 AD perhaps by Jews living in Babylon.
You should watch Patterns of Evidence. It's really good. It explains this controversy and follows the evidence and not the the pride of men. Also, these are not 'new findings'. This has been a fight that has gone on for years. The film breaks it down in almost every detail. Why better than anyone could explain on this thread. The short answer is, they based all of Egyptology on the wrong Pharaoh. They base it on Ramsay the II and not the first. But if they change that, it will throw off so many other things by hundreds of years they don't want to do that because of the work involved and the people that would be discredited. They mistakenly think that the Exodus took place with Ramsay II but the evidence points to Ramsay I. Someone's simple mix up has turned into a huge deal.
http://patternsofevidence.com/trailer-videos/

It's on Netflix streaming if you have that.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius.advice]

Well it's not believed by me, so no "adjustment" is needed. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by 2timothy316 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by polonius.advice]

Well it's not believed by me, so no "adjustment" is needed. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

JW
That's the thing. There is evidence it's just not in the time period they expected to see it. There is evidence of a Joseph, plagues, the Exodus and the loss of Egypt's army. All of it lines up perfectly like the Bible says, but not in the dates they expected to see it. It doesn't fit with Ramsay II. It only fits with Ramsay I. But they will not correct it and they refuse to give have any good reason why.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Willum
Savant

Post #5

Post by Willum »

Not exactly the right forum, but I have been concerned with this very issue of late:

Resolution is very simple... and I can relate it for everyone.

Recall the Punic wars, and old Hannibal, of the Roman fame.
Many of you probably know he worshiped old Ba'al.
The Canaan, the Punics, the Seleucids and the Phoenecians were all the same people.

They controlled Jerusalem, and worshiped Ba'al, Yahweh and several other Gods as late as 265 BC.

That's right, the people who would become Jewish did not destroy the Canaanites, they were formed from them as a result of Pompey the Great promoting one band of Henotheistic proto-Jewish, over the polytheistic rulers.

Judaism has it's earliest possible existence at 265 BC. Everything was interpolated from other cultures to comprise the Bible.

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

polonius.advice wrote: It is now believed that the first seven book of the Bible were written about 800-700 AD perhaps by Jews living in Babylon.

And archeology has determined that there were no Hebrews in Egypt and hence no Exodus.

How do those of the Jewish faith make an adjustment to these new findings? How do Christians?
That is interesting since Josephus lived between 37 – c. 100 CE(AD), Hillel lived between c. 110 BCE, died 10 CE, and Gamaliel, his grandson, died in 52 CE. Also, the Mishnah was written in 200 CE and Gemara was written in 500 CE. So, unless you meant BCE instead of CE(AD), then these writings were highly prophetic, interpreting something that had not even been written yet.

The Josiah/Ezra theory, now just the Ezra theory(800-700 BCE) has been around for a long time. I find it quite interesting that many who are adamant in rejecting what has not been proven in one case, can be just as certain in accepting other things that have not been proven. Quite frankly, I have much more respect for views that just reject the Scriptures out of hand, than I do for these conspiracy theories.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by polonius »

bluethread wrote:

That is interesting since Josephus lived between 37 – c. 100 CE(AD), Hillel lived between c. 110 BCE, died 10 CE, and Gamaliel, his grandson, died in 52 CE. Also, the Mishnah was written in 200 CE and Gemara was written in 500 CE. So, unless you meant BCE instead of CE(AD), then these writings were highly prophetic, interpreting something that had not even been written yet.

The Josiah/Ezra theory, now just the Ezra theory(800-700 BCE) has been around for a long time. I find it quite interesting that many who are adamant in rejecting what has not been proven in one case, can be just as certain in accepting other things that have not been proven. Quite frankly, I have much more respect for views that just reject the Scriptures out of hand, than I do for these conspiracy theories.
RESPONSE:
You are right of course. I meant BC not AD.

But let's look at the numbers. Exodus claims that the Hebrews had 600,000 soldiers. If one counts wives, children, and men not soldiers for reasons of age, one comes up with a total of conservatively about 2 million people. And, according to the Bible, the Hebrews had been in Egypt for about 400 years at the time of the Exodus.

But after rather thorough archeological investigations, no graves, no artifacts, and no records exist. Not even a broken piece of pottery! The Hebrews simply were not there.

At that time the population of Egypt would have been about 8 million, about the same as the present New York City.

Willum
Savant

Post #8

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 7 by polonius.advice]

Quite right, the best explanation is the 600,000 soldiers didn't exist.
The Hebrew coming into existence circa 265BC, also explains why there were no 600,000 soldiers.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 7 by polonius.advice]

Quite right, the best explanation is the 600,000 soldiers didn't exist.
The Hebrew coming into existence circa 265BC, also explains why there were no 600,000 soldiers.
Anyway the bible says the Israelites were in Egypt, I don't see your point is theology, doctrine or dogma which is what this sub-forum is dedicated to. The bible is quite clear, and does not present the account as metaphoric, what theological point are you submitting?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #10

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]

Quite right, the Bible trumps in this forum, but does it even trump reality?