Messiah's 2nd Coming?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Messiah's 2nd Coming?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Was the doctrine of the 2nd coming of Jesus forumulated because he failed to accomplish Messianic expectations the first time around? I.e., universal peace and justice, the redemption of Israel from it's enemies?

Where was it written in the "Old" Testament/Hebrew Bible that the Messiah would need to come twice to accomplish his Messianic role?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #71

Post by McCulloch »

onewithhim wrote:It is NO failure on God's part when any part of humanity CHOOSES to not accept His channel of salvation. Why would God force people to be His friend and follow His instructions? Jehovah sent His Son so that ALL humans could live. If some humans reject His offer, that is on them.
To my knowledge, I have never rejected God's offer of salvation. If God wishes all men to come to a knowledge of his salvation as Paul claims, then he has done a really bad job.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Messiah's 2nd Coming?

Post #72

Post by onewithhim »

terrydactyl wrote:
Elijah John wrote: Where was it written in the "Old" Testament/Hebrew Bible that the Messiah would need to come twice to accomplish his Messianic role?
If I may add my two cents, After 7 pages I have yet to see the apologists provide a reasonable answer to the original question. Why did he fail the first time?
Maybe you could go back and re-read the posts. The answer to the OP was very well provided in the first few posts, such as posts #2, #4, #6, #14, and especially #18. Clearly Jesus did not fail to accomplish what he was sent here for, the first time.

Willum
Savant

Post #73

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 72 by onewithhim]

I did. I see nothing but non-sequitur quotes.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #74

Post by onewithhim »

McCulloch wrote:
onewithhim wrote:It is NO failure on God's part when any part of humanity CHOOSES to not accept His channel of salvation. Why would God force people to be His friend and follow His instructions? Jehovah sent His Son so that ALL humans could live. If some humans reject His offer, that is on them.
To my knowledge, I have never rejected God's offer of salvation. If God wishes all men to come to a knowledge of his salvation as Paul claims, then he has done a really bad job.
So, McCulloch, you have accepted the gift of eternal life by way of the sacrifice of his human life that Jesus Christ made in behalf of you and all other humans? You accept that and also the scriptural instruction to follow after Jesus' example and live as he instructed us to do?

terrydactyl
Student

Post #75

Post by terrydactyl »

onewithhim wrote: Maybe you could go back and re-read the posts. The answer to the OP was very well provided in the first few posts, such as posts #2, #4, #6, #14, and especially #18. Clearly Jesus did not fail to accomplish what he was sent here for, the first time.

As for #2, that's been disproved in #8. Common sense says it not about the then future messiah, he's referred to in the past tense. As for #18, that's ex post facto. It's Jesus redefining the old testament's messiah.

I thought he was to create the unification of the twelve tribes. It didn't happen.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #76

Post by onewithhim »

terrydactyl wrote:
onewithhim wrote: Maybe you could go back and re-read the posts. The answer to the OP was very well provided in the first few posts, such as posts #2, #4, #6, #14, and especially #18. Clearly Jesus did not fail to accomplish what he was sent here for, the first time.

As for #2, that's been disproved in #8. Common sense says it not about the then future messiah, he's referred to in the past tense. As for #18, that's ex post facto. It's Jesus redefining the old testament's messiah.

I thought he was to create the unification of the twelve tribes. It didn't happen.
He didn't come to unify the tribes of Israel. And how was #2 disproved in #8? I disassembled #8's argument in my post #12. What is your comment on post #12 and #18?

You have, I understand, disregarded all of the discussion in those posts I referred back to. So, setting those aside, where do you find answers to your question? Has ANYONE given you a good answer? If they have, is the answer in association with the thoughts of fallible men? I'll place my confidence in the thoughts of Jehovah.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #77

Post by JehovahsWitness »

terrydactyl wrote: As for #18, that's ex post facto. It's Jesus redefining the old testament's messiah.

Why did you think that was the purpose of the Messiah? Especially as following the Babylonian exiles representatives from all 12 tribes were actually re-united in worship at the rebuilt Jewish temple.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

terrydactyl
Student

Post #78

Post by terrydactyl »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Why did you think that was the purpose of the Messiah? Especially as following the Babylonian exiles representatives from all 12 tribes were actually re-united in worship at the rebuilt Jewish temple.
As Jesus didn't rebuild the temple, he can't claim that as his doing the re-unification. Actually, the view he'll unify the tribes come more from the Talmud, not the bible. So on that point it's unclear.

terrydactyl
Student

Post #79

Post by terrydactyl »

[Replying to post 76 by onewithhim]

Well, as for #12 I only see your interpretation. I my book that's not enough. As I pointed out Isaiah 53 speaks about someone in the past tense, not about a future messiah.

terrydactyl
Student

Post #80

Post by terrydactyl »

onewithhim wrote:
I'll place my confidence in the thoughts of Jehovah.

I'm curious as to what you know of the thoughts of Jehovah

If it is from the bible then you must know it is written by "fallible men." Or do you believe it was written directly by Jehovah's hand?