Why is the Resurrection Version of Events Plausible?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Why is the Resurrection Version of Events Plausible?

Post #1

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

4/3/17
"AS I said before, I ant to stay n the OP and discuss God and evil. The points you raise are interesting. However, I am not going to respond to them, except to say they are important to address, but belong in another OP. Let's get back to discussing God and evil. As I said before, I would be happy continuing the discussion, so why don't you set up an OP for these issues?" - hoghead1

I have time to address this question now. According to all four Gospels the body of Jesus disappeared from Joseph's private tomb, and several weeks later the disciples of Jesus began spreading the rumor that Jesus had risen from the dead. Just as the Jewish priests had predicted (Matt.27:63-64). Christians believe that Jesus returned to life and that the newly reanimated Jesus left the tomb of his own volition,and then subsequently flew off up into the sky and disappeared. What is it that you find about this particular tale that makes it even marginally plausible? More specifically, what is there about this claim that you feel that everyone else should should find perfectly plausible?
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

marco
Savant

Re: Why is the Resurrection Version of Events Plausible?

Post #2

Post by marco »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:

Christians believe that Jesus returned to life and that the newly reanimated Jesus left the tomb of his own volition,and then subsequently flew off up into the sky and disappeared. What is it that you find about this particular tale that makes it even marginally plausible? More specifically, what is there about this claim that you feel that everyone else should should find perfectly plausible?

The first and obvious explanation is that the body was taken from the donated sepulchre. Another alternative idea is that the body rose miraculously from death and made its way out of the tomb. The evidence for this would have to be astoundingly compelling before it could be accepted.

The rising into the sky, where ancients thought heaven was, is an indication that the tale is just fiction. What on earth would be the point of aa human body moving into the upper atmosphere? To commune with what? It is meaningful only in terms of myth.

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

marco wrote:
The rising into the sky, where ancients thought heaven was, is an indication that the tale is just fiction. What on earth would be the point of aa human body moving into the upper atmosphere? To commune with what? It is meaningful only in terms of myth.
If He were to have faded away or pixilated into another dimension, I doubt the position of the critics would be any different. If defying gravity is not acceptable, why would fading into another dimension be any more acceptable? The only difference might have been the confusion in the minds of His Talmudim as to where He went, and what actually happened.

Now, if it were to happen just that way today, people in another time might then do the same thing and say that fading or pixilating away is not really how things work either. So, the question becomes should a higher life form do things, in a way that we would be understand, or do them in a way that is totally beyond our comprehension.

Willum
Savant

Post #4

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 3 by bluethread]

I agree - and propose were it real, God wouldn't do it in a way that was complete non-sense.
There are an infinite number of ways to do this that don't involve missing bodies or low-witness ascensions.

How about testimony from Lazarus? That would work.
How about a lasting miracle, or one that wasn't done providing no one was told?

and so on.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 3 by bluethread]

I agree - and propose were it real, God wouldn't do it in a way that was complete non-sense.
There are an infinite number of ways to do this that don't involve missing bodies or low-witness ascensions.

and so on.
Again, "non-sense" is a matter of prospective. I would think that touching the wounds on His hands and placing one's hand in His side, would be rather convincing. I suggest that even if there where a book of Lazarus, that would be rejected on exactly the same grounds.

Willum
Savant

Post #6

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 5 by bluethread]

And I think we'd all be convinced, if any of it could be found outside of a single book.
I mean really, can it even be shown the apostles existed to within a reasonable doubt?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #7

bluethread wrote:
Willum wrote: [Replying to post 3 by bluethread]

and so on.
Again, "non-sense" is a matter of prospective. I would think that touching the wounds on His hands and placing one's hand in His side, would be rather convincing. I suggest that even if there where a book of Lazarus, that would be rejected on exactly the same grounds.
Wikipedia
Nonsense
Nonsense is a communication, via speech, writing, or any other symbolic system, that lacks any coherent meaning. Sometimes in ordinary usage, nonsense is synonymous with absurdity or the ridiculous.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonsense

A corpse coming back to life and then flying off up into the sky is a ridiculous claim by any application of the concept. And yet most Christians will immediately declare, and fully believe themselves, that the resurrection and ascension of Jesus are among the best attested to events of ancient history. In actual fact however the story of the resurrection and ascension of Jesus is roughly as factually well attested to as is the existence of a race of one eyed giants known as the Cyclops. Both the story of the resurrection of Jesus and the existence of a race of cyclops were widely accepted in ancient times as being genuine. And both have all of characteristics in modern times of mythology and tall tales. Neither story can be shown to have any actual physical basis in fact.

If however you can provide an example of anyone personally testifying to placing their hands into the wounds of the risen Jesus, we can began a discussion at that point.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by McCulloch »

Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #9

A very safe if uncontroversial first attempt, Carlz. Welcome to the forum.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Justin108 »

bluethread wrote:
marco wrote:
If He were to have faded away or pixilated into another dimension, I doubt the position of the critics would be any different. If defying gravity is not acceptable, why would fading into another dimension be any more acceptable?
Because fading into another dimension serves a purpose; namely, Jesus going to heaven. Jesus floating around in mid air serves no purpose other than to be flashy. It's not a matter of defying gravity being unacceptable, it's a matter of defying gravity being pointless.