I just prayed!

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

I just prayed!

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Just prayed to god that one of you any of you will be filled with the holy spirit today and convince me that christianity is true and that I should convert.

for debate is this a reasonable request of God?

will this work? Why or why not
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

William
Savant

Requests to one's idea of GOD

Post #41

Post by William »

The way I look at this is to understand that the consensus among those who pray to their individual ideas of GOD - and not just the Christian ideas of GOD, but other religious and spiritual persuasions is that their requests are sometimes answered (which gives them a reason to continue believing) but shows that if there is indeed some overarching consciousness directly interacting in such a way with human beings, then the being has no bias regarding the belief systems of any particular brand.

Elijah John
Savant

Re: I just prayed!

Post #42

Post by Elijah John »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 37 by Elijah John]
Elijah John wrote:
No, we cannot convince you that Christianity is true, only God can do that.
So much for trying to convert anyone, right?

:)
We can plant the seeds, but it is up to the Almighty to nurture them and enable them to take root.

But the best we can do really, is to be a good example. We try, don't always succeed, but we try.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 42 by Elijah John]

[center]

I must have a whole LOT of seeds in me by now
[/center]

Elijah John wrote:
We can plant the seeds, but it is up to the Almighty to nurture them and enable them to take root.
So, God comes along... and converts my little seeds?

Elijah John wrote:
But the best we can do really, is to be a good example. We try, don't always succeed, but we try.
I'm sorry, but good example of what precisely?

:)

Savant

Post #44

Post by 1213 »

[Replying to post 36 by Blastcat]
Blastcat wrote: How do you see matter correct?
Similarly, as for example: “things fall as Newton has said�, I can check it by dropping an apple and so see it correct.

Savant

Post #45

Post by 1213 »

DanieltheDragon wrote: That is such a cop out. I wouldn't be here debating if I didn't want to understand.
Ok, then, why not answer to my questions? I think they are important part of the path.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #46

Post by DanieltheDragon »

1213 wrote:
DanieltheDragon wrote: That is such a cop out. I wouldn't be here debating if I didn't want to understand.
Ok, then, why not answer to my questions? I think they are important part of the path.
Because, I find those questions demeaning to my character. They appear in a way rhetorical intended to insuinate the intent was less than honest, else why ask them. Instead of taking my words at face value to mean what they mean and say what they say these questions insuinate alterior motive.

Instead of beating around the bush I would rather people just be direct. The intent is spelled out in what I wrote no need to insuinate anything other than what was written.

As to what being filled with the Holy Spirit is ask a hundred people you'll get a hundred answers. Might make a good debate topic though.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Willum
Savant

Post #47

Post by Willum »

1213 wrote:
DanieltheDragon wrote: Just prayed to god that one of you any of you will be filled with the holy spirit today and convince me that christianity is true and that I should convert.

for debate is this a reasonable request of God?

will this work? Why or why not
Why did you do it? What do you think filled with Holy Spirit means? What do you think Holy Spirit is? Do you think it is reasonable to ask something you don’t even understand?

But anyway, according to the Bible:

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and will remind you of all that I said to you.

John 14:26

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak.

John 16:13

Can you really handle the truth? :)
Speaking from personal experience, being filled with the holy spirit is a sort of willing delusion - role-playing alone if you will.
Where we deliberately believe the impossible for comfort.
What is the holy spirit? Nothing.
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and will remind you of all that I said to you.[/i]
John 14:26
Great little quote, can you tell of some break-throughs granted by prayer.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight