Did Jesus fail to convince in the end?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Did Jesus fail to convince in the end?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Christianity is not the force it was. In the past it swept across continents, converting by one means or another. Churches now sit empty and some have become mosques.
Does this decline suggest that the movement did not have a God behind it, in Jesus, but a strong preacher with an interesting message which is less attractive to modern ears?

Why would a message, authorised by God himself, lose its appeal? Is it the fault of the messenger or the listeners? Is Jesus on the verge of dying out, after a spectacular resurrection?

marco
Savant

Re: Did Jesus fail to convince in the end?

Post #2

Post by marco »

marco wrote:
Is Jesus on the verge of dying out, after a spectacular resurrection?

I was wondering if Christianity is going down the road to oblivion, another good intention gone wrong. It was most potent when it had the weaponry of power behind it. Now the little churches that called people to prayer, sometimes with an angelus, are cold and empty. If a God or God's professional envoy failed to make a lasting impression, then what can we say about that God?

Of course in some quarters it is not the fault of lax Christians. They are being killed and not much is said of it. The gates of hell shall never prevail against Christ's followers, so we are told; and yet Christianity is being wiped out in the land of its birth. Was Jesus wrong?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

marco wrote: Christianity is not the force it was. In the past it swept across continents, converting by one means or another. Churches now sit empty and some have become mosques.
Does this decline suggest that the movement did not have a God behind it, in Jesus, but a strong preacher with an interesting message which is less attractive to modern ears?

Why would a message, authorised by God himself, lose its appeal? Is it the fault of the messenger or the listeners? Is Jesus on the verge of dying out, after a spectacular resurrection?
Western civilization is in the process, finally, of out growing it's childlike beliefs. Is this process inevitable and irreversible? Yes, probably. Unless those that prefer to retain their childlike beliefs can find a way to drag us all back into the dark ages again.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: [quote="[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/

Western civilization is in the process, finally, of out growing it's childlike beliefs. Is this process inevitable and irreversible? Yes, probably. Unless those that prefer to retain their childlike beliefs can find a way to drag us all back into the dark ages again.
Western civilisation, unfortunately, is in the process of having visitations from folk from the 7th century whose firm intention is to bring us back to the Dark Ages. The irony is that when Christianity has lost its pull an even tougher tyrant religion takes over.

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: Christianity is not the force it was. In the past it swept across continents, converting by one means or another. Churches now sit empty and some have become mosques.
I think the problem is more probably that Church has not been faithful to God. They lose, because they have rejected God and his word. Why would God be on behind something that worships own doctrines rather than is faithful to God’s words?
marco wrote:Why would a message, authorised by God himself, lose its appeal?...
I think it is too early to say that has happened. At least I don’t see it to be true, all though it seems to be that nowadays antibiblical forces are much stronger than earlier.

But the truth is also according to the Bible that many will reject God and be against God. Not all will want to hear Jesus and follow him. Not all like the idea that we should love others as ourselves and even enemies. Many like more about different ideas. Reason why it is so, you should ask from those who don’t want to agree with it and why they don’t like it. In my opinion the message I the same, regardless what people like.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #6

marco wrote:
Tired of the Nonsense wrote: [quote="[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/

Western civilisation, unfortunately, is in the process of having visitations from folk from the 7th century whose firm intention is to bring us back to the Dark Ages. The irony is that when Christianity has lost its pull an even tougher tyrant religion takes over.
We in the west have two distinct choices in dealing with Islam. We could wipe them all out. It is within our power to do that. Or we can reeducate them. The first option, eradicating 2 billion people, is flatly unthinkable. At first glance the second option seems impossible. And so it is, as long as the Muslim world views the condition of the world as as a conflict between a false religion and the one true religion. We can only begin to convince them to rethink their ancient superstitious nonsense if we in the west can first successfully put our own ancient superstitious nonsense behind us. And in fact I know individuals who were raised to be Muslims who are every bit as atheist as I am. THAT is the way of the future. If we can defeat religion, then we have a future of acquiring ever more knowledge and advancement. If religion wins, then it is back to the dark ages for humankind.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
We in the west have two distinct choices in dealing with Islam. We could wipe them all out. It is within our power to do that. Or we can reeducate them. The first option, eradicating 2 billion people, is flatly unthinkable. At first glance the second option seems impossible. And so it is, as long as the Muslim world views the condition of the world as as a conflict between a false religion and the one true religion. We can only begin to convince them to rethink their ancient superstitious nonsense if we in the west can first successfully put our own ancient superstitious nonsense behind us. And in fact I know individuals who were raised to be Muslims who are every bit as atheist as I am. THAT is the way of the future. If we can defeat religion, then we have a future of acquiring ever more knowledge and advancement. If religion wins, then it is back to the dark ages for humankind.
Well there is also peaceful co-existence. Churchill said that jaw, jaw, jaw is better than war, war, war (rhyming in an English accent.)

The problem of moving from Islam is the same as it was centuries ago, moving from Christianity. You face being killed. Jesus gave Islam a huge weapon: turn the other cheek. They don't.

Long before rationality reigns, we will have an ice age of a stricter religious set-up I think.

marco
Savant

Post #8

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:

I think the problem is more probably that Church has not been faithful to God. They lose, because they have rejected God and his word. Why would God be on behind something that worships own doctrines rather than is faithful to God’s words?
That's one explanation and that applies to the messages of ANY preacher.... not good enough to hold people's interest. The Bible is couched in the language of a past age and people today have other concerns, for which the Bible has no answer. So churches are dying. Islam isn't, though.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #9

marco wrote:
Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
Well there is also peaceful co-existence. Churchill said that jaw, jaw, jaw is better than war, war, war (rhyming in an English accent.)

The problem of moving from Islam is the same as it was centuries ago, moving from Christianity. You face being killed. Jesus gave Islam a huge weapon: turn the other cheek. They don't.

Long before rationality reigns, we will have an ice age of a stricter religious set-up I think.
It's seems that it is only a matter of time before Muslim extremists succeed in getting their hands on a nuclear weapon. If an American city is turned into nuclear dust, I am afraid that those who maintain a Trump mentality will seriously consider the eradication option.

Willum
Savant

Post #10

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 9 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Don't worry bout nukes, they are loud and obvious.
WWIII has already been fought and won. Drones, nanotechnology, more, all of the real power is already in someone's hands, not mine, and so, I am guessing not yours.

Nukes, nukes are so 1960's.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight