Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

The purpose of Jesus' miracles

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

What was the purpose of Jesus' miracles?

a) To help people.

While this might explain some miracles, such as healing the sick and feeding the hungry, other miracles just seem unnecessary. Why turn water into wine? Was it necessary? Or did Jesus just want to be the life of the party?

If Jesus did perform these miracles to help people, why are such miracles not nearly as common today? Jesus found it important enough to intervene at a wedding that had no booze, but he won't intervene to feed starving children in Africa?

b) To prove his divinity.

If Jesus went out of his way to prove his divinity 2000 years ago when people were generally far less skeptic and far more gullible than they are today, why is it that Jesus no longer does so today? Why was proof of divinity appropriate 2000 years ago but not today? Back then we had proof. Today we need to have faith. Why the inconsistency?

c) Other (please elaborate)

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: The purpose of Jesus' miracles

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 1 by Justin108]

I suggest that the 'miracles' were 'performed' by Gospel writers to 'deify' a wandering preacher decades after he was dead and to use him as an icon for a new religion.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Danmark »

Justin108 wrote:Jesus found it important enough to intervene at a wedding that had no booze, but he won't intervene to feed starving children in Africa
Tho' I have trouble with the claim any miracles were performed [and that may be the point of your question], I like this; it points out the absurdity of the supernatural claims. I think the miracle claims were added to the Jesus traditions to show either his divinity or his special relationship with God. The New Testament is essentially a series of arguments for their new religion.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Justin108 wrote:What was the purpose of Jesus' miracles?
Could you please clarify this question? We could read it as, "What purpose did the character named Jesus in the Gospels have to perform miracles?" But it could also be read as, "What purpose did the Gospel writers have in including miraculous events in their narratives about Jesus?"
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Zzyzx wrote: .

I suggest that the 'miracles' were 'performed' by Gospel writers to 'deify' a wandering preacher decades after he was dead and to use him as an icon for a new religion.
And, through an entirely serendipitous turn of good fortune, spreading the stories and rumors about the wondrous things Jesus did while still alive allowed his earliest disciples to make a pretty good living for a number of years.

Act 4:
[34] Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
[35] And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
[36] And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus,
[37] Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Justin108 wrote: What was the purpose of Jesus' miracles?

b) To prove his divinity.

If Jesus went out of his way to prove his divinity 2000 years ago when people were generally far less skeptic and far more gullible than they are today, why is it that Jesus no longer does so today? Why was proof of divinity appropriate 2000 years ago but not today? Back then we had proof. Today we need to have faith. Why the inconsistency?
I believe the purpose was to prove that he really speaks the truth. And at least some claim Jesus or God has done miracles to them even in modern times, so it is possible that it is continuing. But I think there is not same reason any more. During Jesus time, it was necessary for that people will go and preach the message. The goal seems to be to declare the message, sins are forgiven, repent. When people have that message, they may understand it and it is the treasure, not earthly miracles.

You simply don’t have to believe things, you should get the right understanding and receive what Jesus said, if you would like to have eternal life.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote: I believe the purpose was to prove that he really speaks the truth. And at least some claim Jesus or God has done miracles to them even in modern times, so it is possible that it is continuing. But I think there is not same reason any more. During Jesus time, it was necessary for that people will go and preach the message.
Is it no longer necessary for people to 'go and preach the message'?
1213 wrote: The goal seems to be to declare the message, sins are forgiven, repent. When people have that message, they may understand it and it is the treasure, not earthly miracles.
Is it possible that the 'miracle' tales were invented as a sales pitch for the new religion? Why would anyone assume that the tales about 'miracles' were true since they appear only in religion-promotional literature and are not verified elsewhere? Religionists are not immune from lying, exaggerating, telling tall tales.
1213 wrote: You simply don’t have to believe things, you should get the right understanding and receive what Jesus said, if you would like to have eternal life.
Is there assurance (other than unverified tales, testimonials, and opinions) that anyone receives 'eternal life'? If that is not assured (known / shown to be true) it is nothing more than empty rhetoric, religious propaganda, and perhaps wishful thinking
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Danmark »

1213 wrote: I think there is not same reason any more. During Jesus time, it was necessary for that people will go and preach the message.
So how and why are things different today?
Is it no longer 'necessary for that people will go and preach the message?'
Why?

If miracles were important to establish Jesus' authority and divinity 2000 years ago, why is that no longer necessary?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I presume for the sake of argument we are to assume that Jesus actually did perform miracles. If the point of the question is "Please prove Jesus performed miracles" feel free to clarify you OP.

Jesus performed miracles for all the reasons below:

a) To help people

b) To prove he had divine power

c) As evidence of his Messiahship

d) OTHER: To provide evidence on a small scale, what he will do on a global scale: As the head of an coming global government which promises to eliminate all human problems on this our planet earth, Jesus was providing proof that he could indeed do this.

The coming globlal government under Christ will

- eliminate world hunger

- control natural forces ensuring no natural disasters will cause suffering

- eliminate all disease and sickness

- return to healthy life to those that have died

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

I did write about this topic a bit earlier, here is the link in case you missed it
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 788#835788

[youtube][/youtube]
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Justin108 »

McCulloch wrote:
Justin108 wrote:What was the purpose of Jesus' miracles?
Could you please clarify this question? We could read it as, "What purpose did the character named Jesus in the Gospels have to perform miracles?"
This is what I mean, yes. Assume for argument sake that Jesus actually performed miracles