Why don't you debate in the TD&D subforum

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Why don't you debate in the TD&D subforum?

I do, what are you talking about?
25%
I have no interest in debating theology in general
No votes
I have no interest in debating Christian theology specifically
No votes
I refuse to debate in an environment that forces acceptance of a particular holy book
25%
I prefer the guidelines of other sub-forums such as C&A
No votes
2 or more of the above
50%
None of the above, see my comments in the thread
No votes

Total votes: 4

benchwarmer
Guru

Why don't you debate in the TD&D subforum

Post #1

Post by benchwarmer »

I've noticed a few discussions or comments here and there about why some people refuse to engage in debates/discussions in the TD&D subforum. My guess is that there is actually more than one reason.

Here are my reasons and comments.

1) The Bible is considered 'authoritative' for the purpose of debate. That's fine and dandy, but it limits Theological discussions to Christianity only and forces all participants to agree that the Bible holds sway. Should it not be the holy book of the religion in discussion that is 'authoritative'?

2) Why would I, a non theist, want to argue the finer details of a religion I don't subscribe to? Would most theists on this site engage in doctrinal details about Zeus's reign or debate which pasta the FSM expects one to eat on high holy days?

3) I might engage in a debate in TD&D if the mood suited me, but I would be reduced to showing inconsistencies and doctrinal leaps of logic caused by the very source material that is 'authoritative'. Don't get me wrong, this can be amusing in itself, but is hardly something I'm going to want to engage in on a regular basis and the point, for me, would only be to show the problems with the Bible. Hardly the 'atmosphere' that is expected in TD&D.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

I voted 2 or more of the above.

I debate in the TD&D subforum when I want to discuss the bible and what it says on a specific topic. To me that is the only good reason to start a thread in there.

Otherwise I do not wish to post there because it would be a debate killer for most of our discussions. As soon as someone says "Because the bible says so" suddenly there is no point in debating further because you have to accept the bible as the authority. When I debate I normally want to be able to debate outside of the rigid confines of the bible. I do not want to have to be bound by such a fallible book, based on wisdom from men thousands of years ago.

I do not take the bible as some infallible or even inspired word of God so why should I in debate?

I debate mainly in the C&A subforum because it is not bound by silly old religious texts. We can go beyond what the bible says.

The rules of the C&A subforum allow for much more flexible debate. It also ensures a level playing field for all. Why would I want to debate only on a subforum where the bible is the authority? Where Christian beliefs, doctrines and dogma are king? There are many other websites out there where that is the case. If I wanted to be bound by religious dogma and doctrine I could go debate there.

I come to this website specifically because it provides a level playing field where no religious text is given any more authority than any other religious text.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World