What do we really know about Fatima?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

What do we really know about Fatima?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

One of the newest and most popular miracle stories is that of the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima. The Blessed virgin is said to have appeared six times to three young peasant children.

And the last time there was a miracle of the sun.

But have we looked at the details of these claims?

JP Cusick
Guru

Re: What do we really know about Fatima?

Post #2

Post by JP Cusick »

polonius.advice wrote: One of the newest and most popular miracle stories is that of the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima. The Blessed virgin is said to have appeared six times to three young peasant children.

I see the Fatima story to be a rather cute fairy tale or legend.

It is better than such stories as "Jake and the Beanstalk" or "Peter Pan" or their likes.

The sun does not dance or move in the sky, and yet the sun moving is NOT really the point or purpose of the Fatima story.

Fatima does have a moralistic premises instead of stealing golden eggs or of refusing to ever grow up.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

onewithhim
Savant

Post #3

Post by onewithhim »

polonius.advice wrote: One of the newest and most popular miracle stories is that of the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima. The Blessed virgin is said to have appeared six times to three young peasant children.

I don't think anyone has looked CLOSELY at those claims. I see it all as the demons having a party at those poor saps' expense.

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

Both Fatima and Lourdes involved artless children. I've just been reading the story of a little boy, Colton Burpo who died and reported his meeting with Jesus, when he recovered.

The dancing sun is irrelevant, as is the grotto with its miraculous cures. The common factor is a deeply religious background. There is no reason at all why a child should be denied a chat with Jesus if we accept what the Bible says. One religious denomination might, of course, object to another one getting to Jesus directly, but if I believed that Lazarus got up from death I would accept that some children had a heavenly vision. Where is the problem?

polonius
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by polonius »

marco wrote:

Both Fatima and Lourdes involved artless children. I've just been reading the story of a little boy, Colton Burpo who died and reported his meeting with Jesus, when he recovered.

The dancing sun is irrelevant, as is the grotto with its miraculous cures. The common factor is a deeply religious background. There is no reason at all why a child should be denied a chat with Jesus if we accept what the Bible says. One religious denomination might, of course, object to another one getting to Jesus directly, but if I believed that Lazarus got up from death I would accept that some children had a heavenly vision. Where is the problem?
RESPONSE:

The "problem" exists when believers try to use these things a proof of their doctrine.

For example, if the Marian apparitions were true at Fatima, this would suggest that prophecy can be genuine, and the Catholic Church is the "true" church. Assuming, of course, that such exists.

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

polonius.advice wrote:The "problem" exists when believers try to use these things a proof of their doctrine.

For example, if the Marian apparitions were true at Fatima, this would suggest that prophecy can be genuine, and the Catholic Church is the "true" church. Assuming, of course, that such exists.

I don't see the problem. A Church can believe whatever it wants to believe. The Church did not instruct the children to make a false report - that would be a problem. Todd Burpo sincerely believes his son spoke to Jesus. This does not affect my life and creates no problem at all. If communication with Jesus and Mary makes some people happy, good.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by polonius »

marco wrote:
polonius.advice wrote:The "problem" exists when believers try to use these things a proof of their doctrine.

I don't see the problem. A Church can believe whatever it wants to believe. The Church did not instruct the children to make a false report - that would be a problem. Todd Burpo sincerely believes his son spoke to Jesus. This does not affect my life and creates no problem at all. If communication with Jesus and Mary makes some people happy, good.
RESPONSE: So you have no difficulty with religious teachings being fictional? Is that what you are telling us?

marco
Savant

Post #8

Post by marco »

polonius.advice wrote:
RESPONSE: So you have no difficulty with religious teachings being fictional? Is that what you are telling us?
Well I personally have no problem with what religious folk believe and it matters little to them that you or I consider their beliefs fictional. If Our Lady wishes to slide down the roof of the Coptic Church in Cairo, as has been reported, then I wish her all the best. My problem would arise if a religious group wanted to kill me for not believing. As far as I can discern from the local priest, he's letting me live. So, no problem there.

Since you started this discussion, perhaps the problem is yours.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius.advice]

miricles are just reported to underline or shout out the message. The importance is not the miracle but the message. We should be asking What's the message ?

The message is repent or bad things are gonna happen.

Hey and bad things did happen.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

polonius.advice wrote:
No I can't say I have. I personally don't believe any spectacular miracles or supernatural appearances can be attributed to God after the Apostles.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8