Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Fill er' up

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

For debate:

What does being filled with the Holy Spirit mean to you?

Is Christianity unified in its meaning?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

I treat it is a personal statement and don't trust anyone who says it any more than anyone else. The proof of the statement is in the fruit.

Galatians 5:22-23New International Version (NIV)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote: I treat it is a personal statement and don't trust anyone who says it any more than anyone else. The proof of the statement is in the fruit.

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Thus, if one 'has the fruit of the Spirit' they should have an abundance of 'love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control'.

Where might one find such people? Apparently not here in the Bible Belt where the numerous Christians with whom I associate seem a bit short on those virtues. Unless they keep those virtues VERY well hidden, perhaps none of them have the 'fruit of the Spirit'.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Wootah wrote: I treat it is a personal statement and don't trust anyone who says it any more than anyone else. The proof of the statement is in the fruit.

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Thus, if one 'has the fruit of the Spirit' they should have an abundance of 'love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control'.

Where might one find such people? Apparently not here in the Bible Belt where the numerous Christians with whom I associate seem a bit short on those virtues. Unless they keep those virtues VERY well hidden, perhaps none of them have the 'fruit of the Spirit'.
We seem to have different experiences. I know and have encountered many who manifest these qualities.

But not in Christians alone...I have encountered the same fruits of the Spirit in Jews and Muslims too. And yes, even in atheists.

Is it possible that God's Holy Spirit is not confined by the walls of ideology, theology, doctrine or dogma?

That He indeed "blows where He will", like the wind?

Whether Fundamentalists like it or not, or can admit it or not.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 4 by Elijah John]

Just because the fruit of the Spirit is X doesn't mean others can't display X. It's the same as arguing atheists can't be moral.

The Spirit is only in people in relationship with God.

However I agree with Z. Many Christians are not allowing the Spirit to rule their lives.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

agnosticatheist
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by agnosticatheist »

Wootah wrote:However I agree with Z. Many Christians are not allowing the Spirit to rule their lives.
Some people are just crapheads. They do not give a rat's behind about Christianity. They just go along and pretend for the benefits, but their true nature is still present.

If I didn't have morals, I could play the game well enough to become a pastor, build a flock, and have access to women in the congregation, from college age women to women at the sunset of their life...But I have morals, so I couldn't live with myself deceiving people like that...Lol
If it turns out there are one or more gods, then so be it.

If it turns out there are no gods, then thank reality that no one is going to suffer forever.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

agnosticatheist wrote:

Some people are just crapheads. They do not give a rat's behind about Christianity.
Moderator Comment

In Scotland we have crappit-heids, which are haddock heads, but I think you are venturing into areas we stay clear of in this forum. There are many ways to express your interesting idea without involving coarseness.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Fill er' up

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by DanieltheDragon]

True Christians are indeed unified in their understanding of what holy spirit is, we believe it to be God's active force or power. The bible says God uses this power or force inmany different ways.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
True Christians are indeed unified in their understanding of what holy spirit is, we believe it to be God's active force or power.
Translation: "I am a true Christian and everyone who disagrees with me isn't"

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
True Christians are indeed unified in their understanding of what holy spirit is, we believe it to be God's active force or power.
Translation: "I am a true Christian and everyone who disagrees with me isn't"
I cannot judge anyone else but yes, I do believe that JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES have the truth and that we are true Christians is part of our official beliefs. As I said, we all (8 million) agree that God's spirit is His active force. Again part of the official teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses. Others will have to speak for themselves, I can only speak for myself and my religion.
DanieltheDragon wrote: What does being filled with the Holy Spirit mean to you?
As I said, God uses His spirit in different ways, so while it's the same thing, what it achieves is different for each person. Generally speaking though it empowers God's people to do His will at any given time, often above and beyond what they could do on their own. It doesn't necessarily mean everyone with God's spirit for example will perform miracles or walk on water... it can be manifest in a sense of peace facing persecution or adversity.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8