Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

The Pope vs. Creationists

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Here from the leader of the largest Christian denomination:
The theories of evolution and the Big Bang are real and God is not “a magician with a magic wand�, Pope Francis has declared.

Speaking at the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Pope made comments which experts said put an end to the “pseudo theories� of creationism and intelligent design that some argue were encouraged by his predecessor, Benedict XVI.

Francis explained that both scientific theories were not incompatible with the existence of a creator – arguing instead that they “require it�.

“When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,� Francis said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 22514.html
Is it time for others to catch up?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

What other teachings of the Pope do you follow? I look forward to seeing more posts on your growing Catholicism!
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #3

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Wootah wrote: What other teachings of the Pope do you follow? I look forward to seeing more posts on your growing Catholicism!

Who is right the pope or creationists?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

DanieltheDragon wrote:
Wootah wrote: What other teachings of the Pope do you follow? I look forward to seeing more posts on your growing Catholicism!

Who is right the pope or creationists?
Creationists of course. One has to be losing faith to move away from biblical literalism.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

Hadn't you heard the rumor about me converting to Catholicism?

Some time ago I mentioned the Pope and some people assumed that meant I had become a Catholic. Perhaps they make the same sort of mistake when I mentioned the KKK, Nazism, and the Spaghetti Monster.

My reaction to that sort of 'thinking' is to apply the "cornbread' statement from my signature.
Wootah wrote:
DanieltheDragon wrote: Who is right the pope or creationists?
Creationists of course. One has to be losing faith to move away from biblical literalism.
It appears to me that 'moving away from biblical literalism' and 'losing faith' are examples of moving from ancient mythology / delusionism and toward modern knowledge and reasoning.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 5 by Zzyzx]

What teachings of the KKK do you agree with? Is that part of your modern reasoning?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Some time ago I mentioned the Pope and some people assumed that meant I had become a Catholic. Perhaps they make the same sort of mistake when I mentioned the KKK, Nazism, and the Spaghetti Monster.
What other teachings of the Pope do you follow? I look forward to seeing more posts on your growing Catholicism!

What teachings of the KKK do you agree with? Is that part of your modern reasoning?
Yup, mention the Pope and a Theist is likely to consider that 'growing Catholicism'

Mention the KKK and a Theist is likely to question agreeing with their teaching.

Perhaps similar thinking leads one to conclude that the last line of my signature reflects concern with baking.

I do, however, accept ONE thing that the KKK 'teaches' -- that it is a Christian organization.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/kkk-l ... up-116614/
Non-Theist

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 7 by Zzyzx]

No you're making an argument from authority fallacy and I'm enjoying it.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote: No you're making an argument from authority fallacy and I'm enjoying it.
Exactly what argument do you think I am making?

Read the OP carefully -- and notice that 'I do not have a horse in the race" and do not take any position regarding Catholicism or the Pope.

I do take a position regarding the KKK being a Christian organization -- and refer to a group leader's statement.
Non-Theist

Neatras
Guru

Post #10

Post by Neatras »

The pope ain't an authority on whether or not evolutionary theory is valid. It's valid whether he says so or not; the point of this thread is that his authority attributed to him by Christians to determine if evolutionary theory is "compatible" with Christian doctrine has come to a focal point. He declares it to be compatible with Christian doctrine.

If Wootah dismisses his authority, then that's the end of that avenue of discourse. I suppose his next step would be demonstrating that creationism is correct, but I'd be remiss to point out that there isn't a very good track record from creationists when it comes to discussing science so far, on this forum and out in the real world.