Do Christian leaders need private jets?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Do Christian leaders need private jets?

Post #1

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Christian preachers claim they need to fly first-class because it’s impossible to talk to God in coach
ByCasi MarlowePosted on January 2, 2016

In a strange, rambling discussion, Evangelical ministers Ken Copeland and Jesse Duplantis claimed they talked to God on a private jet and that their supernatural feat was impossible to accomplish while riding in coach.

The conversation took place on Tuesday during a broadcast of The Believers Voice of Victory. The two preachers were seated at a folksy table when Duplantis recounted his personal conversation with the Lord Almighty while riding in his private jet.

The Lord apparently opened with, “Jesse, do you like your plane?�

Although the conversation sounded suspiciously like Duplantis talking to himself, Ken Copeland chimed in, saying, “You couldn’t have done that on an airline,� and that “Private jets are sanctuary that protect the anointed.�

Copeland went on to say that commercial airline travel was impossible for preachers in a “dope filled world� and that riding coach was like “getting in a long tube with a bunch of demons.�

Other preachers, such as Pastor Creflo Dollar, have allegedly been told by God to buy private planes. Creflo was able to raise $70 million for a Gulfstream Jet to fulfill the mysterious will of the Lord.
http://deadstate.org/christian-preacher ... -in-coach/

Are Christians gullible? Or is being gullible too kind an appraisal?
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Rufus21
Scholar

Re: Do Christian leaders need private jets?

Post #11

Post by Rufus21 »

DanieltheDragon wrote:Then again the biggest scams of all time have happened on Wall Street so maybe humans are just generally gullible.
Humans will become greedy whenever large amounts of money are involved and nobody is watching. There was no oversight in Wall Street and they took advantage of it, just like there is no authority protecting the alleged word of god. The main difference, as I see it, is that the banks took advantage of everybody whereas the evangelists specifically target vulnerable people. One was a robbery while the other is a con job. Neither side seems to get enough punishment.

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: Are Christians gullible?
Overall I would say no. Some are, some aren't. The same as with any other group or people. Just to prove it, I'll become the world's first atheist evangelist. "Send me money and the concept of god will continue to not affect your life! In nobody's name I pray! With your generous donations I can fly first class and avoid all the theistic demons in coach, with their pointy horns and apologetic pamphlets! I will have the flight attendant cast them out and close the little curtain thingy!"

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Rufus21 wrote:
DanieltheDragon wrote:Then again the biggest scams of all time have happened on Wall Street so maybe humans are just generally gullible.
Humans will become greedy whenever large amounts of money are involved and nobody is watching. There was no oversight in Wall Street and they took advantage of it, just like there is no authority protecting the alleged word of god. The main difference, as I see it, is that the banks took advantage of everybody whereas the evangelists specifically target vulnerable people. One was a robbery while the other is a con job. Neither side seems to get enough punishment.

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: Are Christians gullible?
Overall I would say no. Some are, some aren't. The same as with any other group or people. Just to prove it, I'll become the world's first atheist evangelist. "Send me money and the concept of god will continue to not affect your life! In nobody's name I pray! With your generous donations I can fly first class and avoid all the theistic demons in coach, with their pointy horns and apologetic pamphlets! I will have the flight attendant cast them out and close the little curtain thingy!"
Anyone who believes that a corpse came back to life and flew away is gullible by definition. The requirement of a certain level of gullibility, and the suspension of a certain level (and a considerable level it is) of natural skepticism are built right into the system. Even if the stories in the NT occurred exactly as stated, extreme gullibility is necessarily required to believe them. Which is why Christians routinely look upon faith as being desirable. Abject faith is not simply desirable, it is an absolute requirement for being a Christian.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Rufus21
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Rufus21 »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: Anyone who believes that a corpse came back to life and flew away is gullible by definition.
Agreed. But if multiple sources that you consider reliable (family, friends, church leaders) all say that it is true beyond the shadow of a doubt, and you have never heard anyone trustworthy tell you any differently, then it is reasonable to believe it could have happened one time long ago...as long as you never investigate it independently.

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: Even if the stories in the NT occurred exactly as stated, extreme gullibility is necessarily required to believe them.
I wonder how many people have only heard the stories and not actually read them. One of the "red flags" for me was when I was old enough to start reading the bible and I realized that the stories I was told are very different than was is written. How many Christians read the whole book as opposed to just searching for a particular passage and reading those few lines?

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: Which is why Christians routinely look upon faith as being desirable. Abject faith is not simply desirable, it is an absolute requirement for being a Christian.
It does seem to be a necessity for Christianity. Another "red flag" for me was when I started to have doubts. I began to ask questions hoping for answers that would ease my mind and make the bible make sense. Instead I got the usual, "You just have to believe. Never give up your faith. I'll pray for you. You will find the answer soon." It seemed odd that the people who knew "the way and and the truth" never had any answers.