Since Jesus believed Adam and Eve were real people

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Since Jesus believed Adam and Eve were real people

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

I see in the holy huddle room this question was asked. I want to examine it in here for everyone to discuss. However my question is slightly different.

Jesus seemed to believe that Adam and Eve were real people and the tales about them were true.

Does this prove that Jesus was a fallible human who believed mythological bible tales? Or does it prove that the mythological bible tales ARE actually true?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

bluethread
Savant

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

Neither, it affirms the cultural construct. Depending upon the details of the reference, it may support the view that Adam and Havah were actual specific individuals. However, it is common in most languages to speak of things that may or may not have actually happened in the declarative, if those things are general cultural premises.

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Since Jesus believed Adam and Eve were real people

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

OnceConvinced wrote: I see in the holy huddle room this question was asked. I want to examine it in here for everyone to discuss. However my question is slightly different.

Jesus seemed to believe that Adam and Eve were real people and the tales about them were true.

Does this prove that Jesus was a fallible human who believed mythological bible tales? Or does it prove that the mythological bible tales ARE actually true?
The former...Jesus was a fallible man of his times. But that is not to suggest that he had nothing of value to preach about God or how to relate to our fellow humans.

Nor is it a reflection on his character, or even on his supposed moral "perfection".
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

bluethread wrote: Neither, it affirms the cultural construct. Depending upon the details of the reference, it may support the view that Adam and Havah were actual specific individuals. However, it is common in most languages to speak of things that may or may not have actually happened in the declarative, if those things are general cultural premises.
I think I can go with that pov. As a cultural figurative reference, and that is not to suggest the affrimation of literal truth of said reference, just by virtue of making that reference.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

alwayson
Sage

Post #5

Post by alwayson »

OnceConvinced wrote: Jesus seemed to believe that Adam and Eve were real people and the tales about them were true.
How do you know what Jesus believed?

Educated Christian debaters don't even bring up Gospel stuff:

Even as Christians, they know the Gospels are retellings of the Septuagint and are written AFTER the letters of Paul.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

alwayson wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: Jesus seemed to believe that Adam and Eve were real people and the tales about them were true.
How do you know what Jesus believed?
I never said I knew what Jesus believed. Note, I said "seemed to believe". I simply stole the thread title from the thread made in the Holy Huddle subforum.

This thread takes the point of view that it seems Jesus believed Adam and Eve existed. We are debating based on that particular premise. This thread is not a debate about whether he actually believed that or not.

alwayson wrote: Educated Christian debaters don't even bring up Gospel stuff:

Even as Christians, they know the Gospels are retellings of the Septuagint and are written AFTER the letters of Paul.
It would pay to read the opening post properly before jumping to conclusions. None of what you are saying here relates to the premise given and the questions posed. If you wish to discuss your topic, then perhaps start another thread.
Last edited by OnceConvinced on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

alwayson
Sage

Post #7

Post by alwayson »

Where are you getting Jesus "seemed to believe that Adam and Eve were real people and the tales about them were true"?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #8

Post by OnceConvinced »

alwayson wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: I never said I knew what Jesus believed. Note, I said "seemed to believe".
Where are you getting Jesus "seemed to believe" that?
Irrelevant question. On this thread we are taking that premise and debating based on that. It matters not whether you believe its true or not. If you disagree with the premise then feel free to move on or start another thread. Please don't attempt to hijack this one.

alwayson
Sage

Post #9

Post by alwayson »

OnceConvinced wrote:This thread is not a debate about whether he actually believed that or not.
Then what does this mean:
OnceConvinced wrote: Does this prove that Jesus was a fallible human who believed mythological bible tales?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #10

Post by OnceConvinced »

alwayson wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:This thread is not a debate about whether he actually believed that or not.
Then what does this mean:
OnceConvinced wrote: Does this prove that Jesus was a fallible human who believed mythological bible tales?

Seriously, if you want to start a topic entitled "Did Jesus believe Adam and Eve were real people?", then please start that topic on a new thread. This thread already presumes that Jesus believed Adam and Eve were real people.
Last edited by OnceConvinced on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.