Why doesn't God punish all sinners?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

The Transcended Omniverse
Student

Why doesn't God punish all sinners?

Post #1

Post by The Transcended Omniverse »

When there are sick children who die early of age, this is claimed to be God's way of punishing them since they were in sin. Yet, we see people living in far worse sin. We see rich, happy, uncaring people living in fancy mansions. But it seems as though these people don't get punished at all. They live the entirety of their lives in a luxurious quality with hardly anything bad happening to them. They hardly have any life threatening situations and they hardly have any suffering and misery in their lives.

This whole concept also applies to people who claimed to have Jesus/God revealed to them. Why is it that God chooses to punish only certain types of people and why is it that he only chooses to reveal himself to certain people? There are people who hardly put in any work to receive Jesus into their lives while there are people who work their whole entire lives and never have such a revelation. Doesn't this make God unfair since he only chooses certain types of people to punish and reveal himself to?

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Re: Why doesn't God punish all sinners?

Post #2

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by The Transcended Omniverse]

Some would say God is punishing all sinners in the end with eternal damnation.
Some would say God doesn't punish at all - we end up in our own result.

Why does God allow good things to happen to bad people or bad things happen to good people; why doesn't God show himself to everyone in a way there would be no doubt; why does God rely on FAITH and not FACTS; why did God appear to only one group of people and seemingly ignore the rest of the planet....
The answer is likely that there is no biblical all knowing, all seeing, all here. all creating supernatural being past what some people like to think.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

The Transcended Omniverse wrote: When there are sick children who die early of age, this is claimed to be God's way of punishing them since they were in sin. Yet, we see people living in far worse sin. ...
I think Jesus answered well to this matter.

Now there were some present at the same time who told him about the Galileans, whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. Jesus answered them, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no, but, unless you repent, you will all perish in the same way. Or those eighteen, on whom the tower in Siloam fell, and killed them; do you think that they were worse offenders than all the men who dwell in Jerusalem? I tell you, no, but, unless you repent, you will all perish in the same way."

Luke 13:1-5

That somebody dies earlier doesn’t mean that he is then worse than others.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

1213 wrote:
The Transcended Omniverse wrote: When there are sick children who die early of age, this is claimed to be God's way of punishing them since they were in sin. Yet, we see people living in far worse sin. ...
I think Jesus answered well to this matter.

Now there were some present at the same time who told him about the Galileans, whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. Jesus answered them, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no, but, unless you repent, you will all perish in the same way. Or those eighteen, on whom the tower in Siloam fell, and killed them; do you think that they were worse offenders than all the men who dwell in Jerusalem? I tell you, no, but, unless you repent, you will all perish in the same way."

Luke 13:1-5

That somebody dies earlier doesn’t mean that he is then worse than others.
We all perish the same way. That is not profound news. The only variable is when and how.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.