The One, True Way.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

The One, True Way.

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

So, I'm wondering if you all think your own religion, denomination, sect or cult has a monopoly on truth, and if you do, how you justify that opinion?

Or, if you think there are as many routes to enlightenment as there are people on Earth, how you distinguish between true and false religion?

Is a saving faith a matter of finding a singular, narrow path, or is it just a matter of consumer congeniality?

Best wishes, 2RM.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: The One, True Way.

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

2ndRateMind wrote:So, I'm wondering if you all think your own religion, denomination, sect or cult has a monopoly on truth, and if you do, how you justify that opinion?

Or, if you think there are as many routes to enlightenment as there are people on Earth, how you distinguish between true and false religion?

Is a saving faith a matter of finding a singular, narrow path, or is it just a matter of consumer congeniality?

Best wishes, 2RM.
The word "truth" usually refers to accurate information about any given subject, no one group or individual or organization can make the claim to be the only ones that have access to truth. Biblically the expression "The Truth" refers to the body of spiriitual truths found in the bible. and the understanding of the bible comes, we believe from divine revelation, that has not historically been exclusive to one group or individual.

As one of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES we most certainly do not believe we hold a "monopoly on truth" even spiritual truth, indeed I've met individuals that understand God's name, have a correct understanding of things such as the nature of God, Jesus' role in salvation, the condition of the dead, and many more biblical truths.

We do however believe our religion is the only one approved by God at this present time. We do not believe that all religioins are just different paths leading to God.

JW

I did write a litter earlier on this topic, here's the link in case you missed it.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 968#862968
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

tigger2
Sage

Post #3

Post by tigger2 »

As JW wrote above: "We do not believe that all religioins are just different paths leading to God."

John 17:1, 3, KJV
[Father] .... this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

2 Thess. 1:7-9, KJV
when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 9 who shall be punished with everlasting destruction

Ps. 83 - KJV
16 Fill their faces with shame;
that they may seek thy name, O LORD.
17 Let them be confounded and troubled for ever;
yea, let them be put to shame, and perish:
18 that men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH,
art the most high over all the earth.

Matt. 7, NASB
13 “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14 For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." [And it would be fair to say that, of those few who actually find that small gate and narrow way, far fewer would stay on that narrow way all the way to its end (eternal life).]

Do these scriptures say there are many different paths for the many to everlasting life?

dio9
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by dio9 »

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by 2ndRateMind »

It's difficult to know how to respond to this. I assume no sarcasm is intended. Nevertheless, I would not recommend others to follow my own meandering, wayward path through life, only to remember and practise what I was once taught by my erstwhile (homosexual) school padré. And what Jesus thought fundamental to the faith He founded. And how I have found happiness despite all my worldly failures and failings. Just 'Love God, and love each other'. It really is that simple, and that difficult.

Best wishes, 2RM.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 5 by 2ndRateMind]

what I was trying to say is know yourself and then you can know God. Because as Isaiah the prophet said , my ways are not your ways and yours , or our thoughts are not God's but perhaps god's thoughts can be ours. If God so desires. The Vedantists have a saying God is that which is . Not what I think it is , but what it actually is. Like the smell of the orange is indescribable , trying to describe it loses the sent . Just smell the orange. That's where God is God just is. The way is simply about liberating yourself from yourself. We Christians have a hard time accepting it but God is the ground of our being. The same ground of all of our beings. The way is not found in following one religion or the other its to be found within each of us, in short you need to know yourself before you can know God. Make no mistake about it God is there waiting to be found, I might even say hoping. God is playing a game of hide and seek with us , hiding in humanity so perfectly he has even forgotten himself. The way is a game of peek a boo. Enjoy the game.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

2ndRateMind wrote:
I would not recommend others to follow my own meandering, wayward path through life, only to remember and practise what I was once taught by my erstwhile (homosexual) school padré. And what Jesus thought fundamental to the faith He founded. And how I have found happiness despite all my worldly failures and failings. Just 'Love God, and love each other'. It really is that simple, and that difficult.
Your post reminds me of the Publican's humility. It is interesting that other posts have simply quoted the law, as they see it. Your view is a generous one that seems a better reflection of everything that Christ taught. In a just system, and under a benevolent God, yours is surely the road to the what people call the Kingdom.

I believe that a being intelligent enough to work out the complex equations for elliptical orbits and sprinkle the heavens with practical examples of his mathematics would smile at the presumption of some and honour the humility of others, if we ever get to the point where man meets God.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by 2timothy316 »

Jehovah God holds the monopoly on truth. He sets what is true. I could believe I can fly but God's law of gravity will show me the truth. Belief and truth are not to be confused as the same thing. Truth is there before belief comes and still there even after belief is gone. It's the old saying, 'if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?' The truth is, yes it does. A person doesn't have to be present at the tree falling for the tree to disturb the air to make sound waves.

The same is true of the truth. Truth is not dependent on religion. It would be there regardless. One can believe in the American Flag as a symbol of hope. But if there is no one left on earth to belief that, is that flag still a symbol of hope? That flag is not like the tree falling in the woods. Faith in truth is built not on belief but evidence. Hebrews 11:1 says faith is based on "the evidence of things not seen." Like the wind or light. We can only see the effects of these things on other matter but we can't see these things with just our eyes. Things like wind and light will be around if we believe in them or not. This is what true is and it can't be held by anyone but Jehovah God.

So in short, even if there was no religion with the truth, there would still be truth. That is why I don't consider myself as just a believer but a believer in seeking truth.

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

2timothy316 wrote:

The same is true of the truth. Truth is not dependent on religion.

So in short, even if there was no religion with the truth, there would still be truth. That is why I don't consider myself as just a believer but a believer in seeking truth.
It is a fine observation that truth is independent of religion. So the atheist is as capable - or more so - of finding truth as the follower of religion. Some might say that starting from scratch, rather than with preconceived religious notions, is the best way to seek truth.
The quest is not unlike the search for a mathematical solution or the attempt to attach to some curve an algebraic formula that describes it.

We have credited God with the placement of truth behind the rainbow; but that itself may not be a truth.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by 2ndRateMind »

marco wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:

The same is true of the truth. Truth is not dependent on religion.

It is a fine observation that truth is independent of religion. So the atheist is as capable - or more so - of finding truth as the follower of religion. Some might say that starting from scratch, rather than with preconceived religious notions, is the best way to seek truth...
Certainly, I started out as an atheist, with a thirst for 'truth'. And many of my current views remain influenced by that background. Nevertheless, you can imagine my chagrin when I discovered God does exist, and is good, and I had been reinventing a wheel others had perfected long before my time.

Best wishes 2RM.