JESUS IS NOT YHWH

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

JESUS IS NOT YHWH

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

Jesus prayed to YHWH, the Father, not to himself. (E.g., Matthew 26:39,42; John 11:41,42; John 17:1-26.) Would he have been praying to himself?

He continually referred to himself as "God's SON," not YHWH Himself. (John 5:19; John 8:28,29; John 10:36; John 17:1.) Even the Jews who hated him recognized that fact (John 19:7). Can he be his own Son?

He applied Isaiah 61:1,2 to himself, at Luke 4:17-21, showing that he was the one anointed BY YHWH, and sent BY YHWH. There are incontrovertibly two Persons mentioned in the passage, and YHWH is the One calling the shots. The anointed one does what YHWH wants. How could they be the same Person?

Psalm 110 is also applied to Jesus at Acts 2:34,35. He is the "Lord," or Messiah, that YHWH speaks to. Was YHWH talking to Himself?

I think that just these few points would show plainly that Jesus is not YHWH. Can anyone explain how THESE REFERENCES, ABOVE, can possibly agree with the premise that Jesus is YHWH? I'm not asking for other Scriptures to be brought in without commenting ON the verses I am asking about. Please give me your reasoning concerning these particular Scriptures. Thank you.

brianbbs67
Guru

Re: JESUS IS NOT YHWH

Post #491

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 488 by TripleZ]

YHWH is what was written whenever there was a reference to God.

TripleZ
Banned
Banned

Post #492

Post by TripleZ »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 1 by onewithhim]

Christians would agree that in isolation bible passages can mean anything. In this case yes it's clear that Jesus modelled true worship to God.

Really it's just the whole sending an innocent man that Christians find immoral about JW theology. Would you send yourself amongst the wolves or your son?

Then of course how can a perfect man pay for sins against an infinite God? That logic issue never gets resolved.

Finally it goes deeper. Man's desire to beat God. Hercules bested the gods physically and the JW religion wants a perfect man to best God morally.

But yes you can find passages that support you.
Yes all those Scriptures that you quoted are correct so, what is the problem ? Your suppositions spoil you post...I have no desire what so ever to " beat " God. I only believe Gods word and the word of God alone!

TripleZ
Banned
Banned

Post #493

Post by TripleZ »

Christians would agree that in isolation bible passages can mean anything. In this case yes it's clear that Jesus modelled true worship to God.

Really it's just the whole sending an innocent man that Christians find immoral about JW theology. Would you send yourself amongst the wolves or your son?

Then of course how can a perfect man pay for sins against an infinite God? That logic issue never gets resolved.

Finally it goes deeper. Man's desire to beat God. Hercules bested the gods physically and the JW religion wants a perfect man to best God morally.

you must be Jewish, of Judaism, then, right ? No true believer uses the YHWH thing, never did and it is irrelevant to to the Messianic Communities..( The True Christian Church )..

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #494

Post by JehovahsWitness »

TripleZ wrote:
you must be Jewish, of Judaism, then, right ? No true believer uses the YHWH thing, never did and it is irrelevant to to the Messianic Communities..( The True Christian Church )..

And do these the Messianic Communities believe the God of Israel has a name? If so, what would that be?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #495

Post by brianbbs67 »

TripleZ wrote:

Where are you getting your doctrine? It is well known that everywhere YHWH appeared, God or Lord, was substituted in the greek and english in our bible. Messianic "communities" were Jews who followed Christ. They definately knew the Tetragrammonton.

TripleZ
Banned
Banned

Post #496

Post by TripleZ »

seems you can not bring yourself to actually show the verses in full, you make us goto the Bible and look them up for ourselves to prove or disprove YOUR point ?

Mat 26:39 Going on a little farther, he fell on his face, praying, "My Father, if possible, let this cup pass from me! Yet — not what I want, but what you want!"
so how is this relevant ? Yeshua has always and on all relevant occasions declared the above, as He has right there in His prayer...You are the only one making the claim about what OTHERS are supposedly saying ? What do YOU believe ?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #497

Post by onewithhim »

TripleZ wrote:

Matt 36:29 does NOT have YHWH mentioned in it, why the suppositions here ?
His REAL Hevrew/Jewish Name is Yeshua ( He saves )..
None of the Bibles I have in my library have 36 chapters in Matthew. Can you explain what you are trying to show?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #498

Post by onewithhim »

TripleZ wrote:

Joh 11:41 So they removed the stone. Yeshua looked upward and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me.
Again no YHWH here either...
Just who is the Father? Are you not familiar with the fact that the Father is none other than JEHOVAH? If you were acquainted with all Scripture you would know that.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #499

Post by onewithhim »

brianbbs67 wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: Why is this so hard?

Only those who ate and drank saw god. Which should discount the thought of no one has seen Him.

NO ONE has seen God. (John 1:18)
Look back to Exodus. Moses, Aaron, his sons and , I believe 70 leaders, had a meal and drank with God. Thus the quote from Christ.
Where in Exodus does it say this?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #500

Post by onewithhim »

brianbbs67 wrote: [Replying to post 488 by TripleZ]

YHWH is what was written whenever there was a reference to God.
You are absolutely correct. "YHWH" was written 7,000 times in the Hebrew Scriptures. Some men took it out some 1500 years ago and replaced it with "LORD" in all upper-case letters.