Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

[font=Verdana]-
â—� 1Cor 14:39 . . Do not forbid speaking in tongues.

That rule applies only to people who actually have the gift of tongues because according to Rom 12:4, 1Cor 12:10-11, 1Cor 12:29-30, and 1Cor 14:5 not everyone does.

/
[/font]

WebersHome
Guru

Re: Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

Post #2

Post by WebersHome »

[font=Verdana]-
According to Acts 2:4-11, the gift of tongues is supposed to enable the giftees to be heard in a variety of honest to gosh, real-life languages.

/
[/font]

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

Ah, but what is the speaking of tongues all about? Especially when it came to the Day of Pentecost. Were they praising God? Preaching to the people? Or were they praying?

Many people say that the speaking in tongues is actually supposed to be about praying to God and praying in a heavenly language.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by WebersHome]

I note the following passage is regularly ignored by any church I've been in when people are 'speaking in tongues'. I have added the bold.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
1 Corinthians 14

26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

WebersHome
Guru

Post #5

Post by WebersHome »

[font=Verdana]-
â—� 1Cor 14:27a . . If anyone speaks in a tongue, two-- or at the most three --should speak; one at a time

People with the gift of tongues are not permitted to speak all at the same time like a mob of howling political activists. That just simply isn't permitted in church.

â—� 1Cor 14:23 . . So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand, or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

One of the reasons why I get so annoyed by talk shows like Kathy Lee Gifford and Hoda Kodb, and ABC's The View is because everyone talks all at once like a bunch of undisciplined dogs barking and yapping in a kennel. And the way they interrupt each other back and forth before the other can even finish a sentence is one of the very things we teach children not to do. You'd think those supposedly mature adults grew up without supervision the way they conduct themselves in a conversation.

People with the gift of tongues are to take turns; speaking one at a time, rather than an entire congregation of tonguers barking and yapping like dogs in a kennel whenever they "feel the Spirit" moving them.
[/font]

[font=Georgia]FYI[/font][font=Verdana]: The fruit of the Spirit is self control (Gal 5:23). People claiming to feel the Spirit really ought not to behave like a cage full of excited monkeys.

â—� 1Cor 14:33 . . For God is not a God of disorder but of calm.

/
[/font]

WebersHome
Guru

Post #6

Post by WebersHome »

[font=Verdana]-
â—� 1 Cor 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

That's just it. God only knows what's coming out of the tonguer's mouth-- they might even be cussing! I should think that's at least one of the reasons why people ought to pray in a language they understand.

A charismatic once informed me that he prayed in a tongue because he couldn't express his deepest feelings any other way. Mind you this was an American adult of almost fifty years old; educated in America and spoke, wrote, and read English his entire life. So I asked him how it is that his command of the English language was so poor that he could only express his thoughts in a language that not even he himself could either identify or understand?

â—� 1Cor 14:14-15 . . For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

ps: My charismatic friend should to try expressing love for his wife in a tongue and see how she feels about it.

/
[/font]

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

So speaking in tongues is a prayer right? So thus it should never be done in public at all, but only in the privacy of your own home.

Matthew 6:5-6
And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Based on this scripture, even the disciples on the day of Pentecost, were doing something that Jesus told them specifically not to do.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #8

Post by OnceConvinced »

[Replying to post 6 by WebersHome]

So what we have here with these scriptures actually tells us that the language coming from the mouth of the prayer doesn't actually have to be a real language that other humans can understand.

NO ONE understands him.
I pray in an UNKNOWN tongue!

Those who speak this babble tend to believe that it's like the perfect prayer. That it's in fact the holy spirit directing the prayer and speaking what needs to be said, whether the speaker knows what he's saying or not.

Whatever it is, Jesus made it quite clear it should not be done in public or in churches in front of others.

WebersHome
Guru

Post #9

Post by WebersHome »

-
OnceConvinced wrote: [font=Georgia]So speaking in tongues is a prayer right? So thus it should never be done in public at all, but only in the privacy of your own home.

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Based on this scripture, even the disciples on the day of Pentecost, were doing something that Jesus told them specifically not to do.
[/font]
[font=Verdana]If your application of Matt 6:5-6 is the whole truth and nothing but the truth; then Jesus went against this own instructions at Matt 15:36, Matt 26:27, and Luke 9:29, etc.

/
[/font]

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #10

Post by OnceConvinced »

WebersHome wrote: -
OnceConvinced wrote: [font=Georgia]So speaking in tongues is a prayer right? So thus it should never be done in public at all, but only in the privacy of your own home.

[/font]
[font=Verdana]If your application of Matt 6:5-6 is the whole truth and nothing but the truth; then Jesus went against this own instructions at Matt 15:36, Matt 26:27, and Luke 9:29, etc.

/
[/font]
So Jesus didn't practise what he preached. Yeah, I kind have come to expect that from Jesus. Kind of like when he said that it was sinful to call someone else a fool, but then called people fools himself:

Matt 5:22: But whoever says, “You fool!� shall be in danger of hell fire

Matt 23:17 "You fools and blind men!"