Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Daniel prayed

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

So goes the Ralph Stanley song.

Daniel prayed to God, not the Messiah.

And Daniel's prayers were answered, by all accounts. The lions did not eat him.

Daniel did not appeal to the the intercession of any Messiah, nor did Daniel pray in the Messiah's name.

For debate, since direct prayer to YHVH was effective for Daniel, (and other OT heroes) why wouldn't direct prayer work for us?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Daniel prayed

Post #61

Post by onewithhim »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 54 by Justin108]

"If you follow this conversation back to post 25, you'll see this is an answer to onewithhim's question of "just how do you think God should make mankind aware of what the truth is?". My answer was "telepathy". Your rebuttal of "well what if God doesn't want to?" doesn't change the fact that telepathy is a superior way of making mankind aware of the truth."

Telepathy | Define Telepathy at Dictionary.com
www.dictionary.com/browse/telepathy
Communication by means other than through the normal senses. telepathy in Culture. telepathy [(tuh-lep-uh-thee)] Knowledge conveyed from one individual to another without means of the five senses; mind reading. (See also extrasensory perception, parapsychology, and psychic research.)

I doubt that a nuclear scientist could impart his knowledge to me by telepathy
because I lack mental ability to retain it.
The same goes for spiritusl truths. If we don't accept spiritual reality then spiritual truth is nonsence and we reject it.

Can not recall using that phrase 'well what if God does not want to', I think I'd rather say God is willing but we turn a deaf ear.
OR....in some cases, depending on the person's heart condition, Jehovah hears and determines that the person is sincere and decides to answer, but the answer might be "no" or He might answer after a certain period of time has passed. That takes patience on our part.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #62

Post by Justin108 »

onewithhim wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
Monta wrote: [Replying to post 48 by Justin108]

"Oh of course. I must have prayed wrong. That's the only logical explanation."

Yoy are praying to mythical being that does not exist as far as yu are concerned.

it's like saying I love you to wife while you do not have a wife.
I used to be a Christian. I prayed to God as a Christian, believing that he existed. And he did not answer.
Were you praying to the Father, Jehovah? If not, it's a no-brainer why you didn't get an answer. Were you praying to a TRINITY? That pagan triad won't answer anybody because the Trinity doesn't exist.
Yes I was praying to the Father... is my interrogation over yet? Can we address why God remained silent? Or are you going to insist that he remained silent because I did something wrong in my method or praying?
I said that if you didn't pray to Jehovah you did not get heard by the true God. I also said that if you prayed to the Trinity you didn't get heard by the true hearer of prayer as well. I am answering your question.
I did pray to Jehovah and I did not pray to the Trinity. Why is God still silent?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #63

Post by onewithhim »

Justin108 wrote:
Monta wrote: [Replying to post 57 by Justin108]

"With God it's not just "I don't listen", it's "I don't hear any sounds coming from him at all". If God wanted me to hear him, I would not be able to do anything to stop that. The fact that I can't hear him confirms that he's not trying."

You've been quoting scripture therefore know what it says - seek and you will find.
I am sure you will find what yu are seeking to find.
Are you going to address the issue of telepathy? Or are you going to keep preaching?
The only thought that comes to my mind now is....Jesus didn't commission us to discuss with people the merits of communication from God other than the Bible. He directed us to go and preach. (Matt.24:14) What we preach is all in the Scriptures. His theme was God's Kingdom and that is our theme as well.

As Monta said, you know what the Scriptures say, so act accordingly---accept it or reject it. It's between you and Jehovah.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #64

Post by Justin108 »

onewithhim wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
Monta wrote: [Replying to post 57 by Justin108]

"With God it's not just "I don't listen", it's "I don't hear any sounds coming from him at all". If God wanted me to hear him, I would not be able to do anything to stop that. The fact that I can't hear him confirms that he's not trying."

You've been quoting scripture therefore know what it says - seek and you will find.
I am sure you will find what yu are seeking to find.
Are you going to address the issue of telepathy? Or are you going to keep preaching?
The only thought that comes to my mind now is....Jesus didn't commission us to discuss with people the merits of communication from God other than the Bible. He directed us to go and preach. (Matt.24:14) What we preach is all in the Scriptures. His theme was God's Kingdom and that is our theme as well.

As Monta said, you know what the Scriptures say, so act accordingly---accept it or reject it. It's between you and Jehovah.
Ok let's go over this one more time... You asked "how do you think God should make mankind aware of what the truth is?" and I answered "Telepathy". Please point out the flaws of God communicating with us through telepathy. I can gladly point out the flaws of God communicating with us through the Bible if you wish?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #65

Post by onewithhim »

Justin108 wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
Monta wrote: [Replying to post 48 by Justin108]

"Oh of course. I must have prayed wrong. That's the only logical explanation."

Yoy are praying to mythical being that does not exist as far as yu are concerned.

it's like saying I love you to wife while you do not have a wife.
I used to be a Christian. I prayed to God as a Christian, believing that he existed. And he did not answer.
Were you praying to the Father, Jehovah? If not, it's a no-brainer why you didn't get an answer. Were you praying to a TRINITY? That pagan triad won't answer anybody because the Trinity doesn't exist.
Yes I was praying to the Father... is my interrogation over yet? Can we address why God remained silent? Or are you going to insist that he remained silent because I did something wrong in my method or praying?
I said that if you didn't pray to Jehovah you did not get heard by the true God. I also said that if you prayed to the Trinity you didn't get heard by the true hearer of prayer as well. I am answering your question.
I did pray to Jehovah and I did not pray to the Trinity. Why is God still silent?
OK, so you did pray to Jehovah, using His name, and He remains silent. There are only two reasons for that. You either missed His answer (e.g., you prayed for a way to know the truth and He sent JWs to your door but you dismissed that as irrelevant), OR He is going to answer it when the time is right (e.g. you prayed for a good mate).

Sometimes His answers come through the pages of the Bible, His Word. If we regularly read the Bible we often get answers from our reading. We can be reminded of Scriptural principles and take those into consideration.

I thought that Jehovah wasn't answering me (in the way I imagined), but He actually WAS answering me if I had remembered His principles in the Bible, which I recalled after the disaster in my life that happened over 6 years ago. I prayed for signs that this individual that wanted to marry me was the right one. I didn't take into consideration what Jehovah had said already. One thing was Proverbs 12:15, "The way of the foolish one is right in his own eyes, but the one listening to counsel is wise." I did not turn to spiritually mature ones to obtain scriptural counsel. I should have really noticed a red light beeping when the individual in question did not want to go to them! When one or two called me I did not listen when they said to wait at least 6 months to get to know him better. When he lied to me about something I didn't take it seriously. I rebuffed all of Jehovah's ways and went right along with this individual that I don't even want to call a "man." He was a cold, sour, calculating, mean-spirited, deceptive, cruel spawn of Satan, and I got slam-dunked into hell for a number of years, which I haven't recovered from yet.

So we might have in mind the way we think Jehovah should answer, but He might answer another way. That's why knowing the Bible and reading it every day is so important. We will be closer to knowing the way that He does things and why.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #66

Post by Justin108 »

onewithhim wrote: OK, so you did pray to Jehovah, using His name, and He remains silent. There are only two reasons for that. You either missed His answer (e.g., you prayed for a way to know the truth and He sent JWs to your door but you dismissed that as irrelevant)
Why would God need to do that? We are discussing telepathy, not door-to-door Jehovah's Witnesses. I am asking why God does not communicate through telepathy.
onewithhim wrote: OR He is going to answer it when the time is right (e.g. you prayed for a good mate).
Again, not talking about asking God for favors. I'm asking why God does not communicate through telepathy.
onewithhim wrote: Sometimes His answers come through the pages of the Bible, His Word.
We are not discussing the Bible. We are discussing telepathy and why God does not use it to communicate with us.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #67

Post by onewithhim »

Justin108 wrote:
onewithhim wrote: OK, so you did pray to Jehovah, using His name, and He remains silent. There are only two reasons for that. You either missed His answer (e.g., you prayed for a way to know the truth and He sent JWs to your door but you dismissed that as irrelevant)
Why would God need to do that? We are discussing telepathy, not door-to-door Jehovah's Witnesses. I am asking why God does not communicate through telepathy.
onewithhim wrote: OR He is going to answer it when the time is right (e.g. you prayed for a good mate).
Again, not talking about asking God for favors. I'm asking why God does not communicate through telepathy.
onewithhim wrote: Sometimes His answers come through the pages of the Bible, His Word.
We are not discussing the Bible. We are discussing telepathy and why God does not use it to communicate with us.
You asked, in post #62, why, since you prayed to Jehovah and not to a Trinity, is God still silent. You said nothing about telepathy there. I explained in my next post to you why He might be silent in your estimation.

If we are discussing God, we have to discuss the Bible. It's through that that we know anything about Him at all. We wouldn't even know His name, Jehovah, or anything about Jesus without the Bible.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #68

Post by Justin108 »

onewithhim wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
You asked, in post #62, why, since you prayed to Jehovah and not to a Trinity, is God still silent. You said nothing about telepathy there.
Yes but before then (post 25) you asked "just how do you think God should make mankind aware of what the truth is?". I answered your question. You asked "how will you know it isn't Satan?" to which I responded "Just pray to God to silence Satan".

So in summary, you asked a question (just how do you think God should make mankind aware of what the truth is?)
I answered your question (Telepathy)
Is there anything wrong with my answer? Why does God not communicate through telepathy? Can you give me one good reason?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #69

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 68 by Justin108]

I thought I had given a pretty good answer as to how God communicates, and I reject telepathy because I believe God does not use that means any more. It is easy to confuse communication from the demons with communication from God. Spirit "Mediums" make a profitable living from intercommunication with the demons who are pretending to be dead people. Other cultish charlatans like Joseph Smith claim transmission to him of visions from God, which, if he really did see visions, were not from God, but the demons. No true representative of God today claims visions or voices from God.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #70

Post by Justin108 »

onewithhim wrote:I thought I had given a pretty good answer as to how God communicates
The question wasn't "how does God communicate?" The question was "how do you think God should make mankind aware of what the truth is?" And the answer is telepathy. You have yet to give me a single good reason why God should not use telepathy.
onewithhim wrote: I reject telepathy because I believe God does not use that means any more
But why not?
onewithhim wrote: It is easy to confuse communication from the demons with communication from God.
I already explained this. If God is benevolent, he would prevent demons from communicating with us.
onewithhim wrote: Other cultish charlatans like Joseph Smith claim transmission to him of visions from God, which, if he really did see visions, were not from God, but the demons.
How can you be sure he didn't talk to the real God?