A comparison between "faith" and reason

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

A comparison between "faith" and reason

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Wikipedia presents the simplest comparison between reason and faith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_and_rationality

“Faith and rationality are two ideologies that exist in varying degrees of conflict or compatibility.

Rationality is based on reason or facts. Faith is belief in inspiration, revelation, or authority.

The word faith sometimes refers to a belief that is held with lack of reason or evidence, a belief that is held in spite of or against reason or evidence, or it can refer to belief based upon a degree of evidential warrant.�

Broadly speaking, there are two categories of views regarding the relationship between faith and rationality:

1. Rationalism holds that truth should be determined by reason and factual analysis, rather than faith, dogma, tradition or religious teaching.

2. Fideism holds that faith is necessary and that beliefs may be held without any evidence or reason and even in conflict with evidence and reason.�

Opinions?

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Re: A comparison between "faith" and reason

Post #21

Post by ThePainefulTruth »

polonius.advice wrote: Wikipedia presents the simplest comparison between reason and faith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_and_rationality

“Faith and rationality are two ideologies that exist in varying degrees of conflict or compatibility.

Rationality is based on reason or facts. Faith is belief in inspiration, revelation, or authority.

The word faith sometimes refers to a belief that is held with lack of reason or evidence, a belief that is held in spite of or against reason or evidence, or it can refer to belief based upon a degree of evidential warrant.�

Broadly speaking, there are two categories of views regarding the relationship between faith and rationality:

1. Rationalism holds that truth should be determined by reason and factual analysis, rather than faith, dogma, tradition or religious teaching.

2. Fideism holds that faith is necessary and that beliefs may be held without any evidence or reason and even in conflict with evidence and reason.�

Opinions?
It's really simple. Faith and reason are both necessary--in their own venues. Think of it as a ship. Faith is the engine motivating the ship, and reason is the controls on the bridge. Faith without reason is blind and will end up on the rocks, while reason without faith is dead in the water and drifts onto the rocks.
Truth=God

dio9
Under Probation

Post #22

Post by dio9 »

Faith is like Love , we can believe in love and rationalize it but the only way we can know it is when we feel it. The answer lies beyond reason and faith, reason and faith are the workings of our own minds . Isaiah wrote my words are not your words. Faith and reason are doings from our minds, mental and emotional constructs. What is , is as real as the smell of an orange, trying to report the smell and believing how it smells loses it, describing it only loses the essence of what it is and believing means never having actually smelled it, even the orange does smell indescribably good. Neither faith nor reason can describe what is.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by polonius »

dio9 wrote: Faith is like Love , we can believe in love and rationalize it but the only way we can know it is when we feel it. The answer lies beyond reason and faith, reason and faith are the workings of our own minds . Isaiah wrote my words are not your words. Faith and reason are doings from our minds, mental and emotional constructs. What is , is as real as the smell of an orange, trying to report the smell and believing how it smells loses it, describing it only loses the essence of what it is and believing means never having actually smelled it, even the orange does smell indescribably good. Neither faith nor reason can describe what is.
RESPONSE: I'd prefer to stick with the "mental constructs" which can be objectively verified. I don't substitute "feelings."

As in "I feel that there must be a God" therefore there is a God.

I feel there must be a Santa Claus, so there must be a Santa Claus.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #24

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 23 by polonius.advice]

How else can one explain it other than feeling , the Vedantists call it suchness, that which is . Believing in and trying to rationalize it doesn't work, it simply can't be explained any way.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #25

Post by 2timothy316 »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 23 by polonius.advice]

How else can one explain it other than feeling , the Vedantists call it suchness, that which is . Believing in and trying to rationalize it doesn't work, it simply can't be explained any way.
Faith is a bit more than just felling. Faith has evidence.

Example: Will the sun shine to tomorrow on your side of the Earth?

The evidence: The Sun has shone on the Earth since the Sun and Earth came into being. There is nothing that guarantees that the Sun will or will not shine tomorrow except the past evidence that it has done so before mankind even existed.

The Faith that follows the evidence: The answer: Yes the Sun will shine tomorrow. Even if it is cloudy tomorrow in your area you have faith that the Sun is still shining on the Earth even if it can't be seen.

Everyone has faith in something, but when it comes to God despite any evidence they might have been exposed to, it is quickly dismissed. The Bible says, 'faith is not a possession of all men'. (2 Thessalonians 3:2) There are those that even though they see evidence they do not have faith. To fit our example, a truly faithless person thinks the Sun doesn't exist anymore when it's cloudy because there they deny all the past evidence of the Sun's existence. Does this sound foolish? It should and why when a person denies the existence of God the Bible says in Psalm 14:1 "The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.�"

polonius
Prodigy

Faith and evidence

Post #26

Post by polonius »

The evidence: The Sun has shone on the Earth since the Sun and Earth came into being. There is nothing that guarantees that the Sun will or will not shine tomorrow except the past evidence that it has done so before mankind even existed.
RESPONSE: Then evidence, not faith, established the reality

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Faith and evidence

Post #27

Post by 2timothy316 »

polonius.advice wrote:
RESPONSE: Then evidence, not faith, established the reality
Your opinion has been noted. I hope you are not one that thinks the Sun no longer exist because you can't see the Sun because of a cloudy day.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by Justin108 »

2timothy316 wrote: On the other hand, “Faith is . . . the convincing evidence of realities that are not seen.�—HEBREWS 11:1,
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Can you give an example of convincing evidence of realities that are not seen?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #29

Post by 2timothy316 »

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by Justin108 »

2timothy316 wrote:
dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 23 by polonius.advice]

Faith is a bit more than just felling. Faith has evidence.

Example: Will the sun shine to tomorrow on your side of the Earth?

The Faith that follows the evidence: The answer: Yes the Sun will shine tomorrow. Even if it is cloudy tomorrow in your area you have faith that the Sun is still shining on the Earth even if it can't be seen.

Everyone has faith in something, but when it comes to God despite any evidence they might have been exposed to, it is quickly dismissed. The Bible says, 'faith is not a possession of all men'. (2 Thessalonians 3:2) There are those that even though they see evidence they do not have faith. To fit our example, a truly faithless person thinks the Sun doesn't exist anymore when it's cloudy because there they deny all the past evidence of the Sun's existence. Does this sound foolish? It should and why when a person denies the existence of God the Bible says in Psalm 14:1 "The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.�"
What you are describing here is not faith, it's induction...

But anyway, let's just say that this is in fact what "faith" is. Can you give me an example of such convincing evidence of realities that are not seen which can directly be applied to Christianity? You got me, I am convinced that the sun will probably rise tomorrow. Can you give me a Christian belief that I should also hold that is equally as convincing as the claim that the sun will rise tomorrow?