Religious Persecution: who are the targets?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Religious Persecution: who are the targets?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

The Vice President of a country with 45 consecutive nominally Christian presidents claims that Christianity is the most persecuted religion in the world.

For debate, which religious philosophies, if any, are more persecuted than Christianity?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

bjs
Prodigy

Re: Religious Persecution: who are the targets?

Post #2

Post by bjs »

[Replying to McCulloch]

Interesting question. I doubt there is a way to gather enough information to prove anything on the topic.

My guess is that Jews are more likely to be persecuted than Christians. However, more Christians are being persecuted than Jews simply because there are more Christians to persecute.

I don’t think that anyone is suggesting that Christians in North America are persecuted beyond the occasional insult or dirty look. We tend to keep our bigotry (be it based on creed, color, gender, or sexual orientation) hidden under a veil of social politeness.

Worldwide, particularly in much of Africa and Asia, it is different. Persecution can range anywhere from fines to capital punishment. The persecution that various religious groups face is just one of the many example of suffering throughout the world that North Americans tend to ignore because we don’t see it firsthand.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo