Is Nature against males having long hair?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

1 Corinthians 11:14-15 wrote: Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering.
What did Paul mean by this? In what way does nature teach this?

Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Is Nature against males having long hair?

Post #31

Post by McCulloch »

JP Cusick wrote:Samson was a Nazarite with the long hair, but the followers of Jesus had their sins forgiven so Paul told them for Men to cut their hair short and woman to wear hair long. See 1 Corinthians 11:14-15

With some effort then eventually everything in the Bible adds up together.
It remains that Paul said that long hair on a man is unnatural.
psychoslice wrote:I wouldn't be concerned about it at all, there are more important things in life to be concerned with than hair, be it long, short, or bald.
So you would agree that the apostle Paul wasted his time on trivialities.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #32

Post by JP Cusick »

McCulloch wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:Samson was a Nazarite with the long hair, but the followers of Jesus had their sins forgiven so Paul told them for Men to cut their hair short and woman to wear hair long. See 1 Corinthians 11:14-15

In the KJV it says "shame" and other interpretations see that word as "guilt" and so the translation of "unnatural" is obviously ambiguous.

Surely it is not sound to take one other translation as LITERAL and declare that the word is to be accepted as literally "unnatural" and nothing else but unnatural.

In today's English it is not uncommon to hear people throwing around the words natural and unnatural without it being intended as a literal meaning.

As one might say smoking a cigarette is unnatural, but that depends on the definition of natural.

As to the hair the Apostle Paul was surely aware of this too = Psalm 68:21

"Trespass" is equivalent to sin, as the hair on the head is a sign of sin.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

psychoslice
Student

Post #33

Post by psychoslice »

[Replying to post 1 by McCulloch]

Is nature against men wearing cloths, or shaving, of course not.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #34

Post by brianbbs67 »

I would say that , none of this matters and should not be worried over. Lions and prostitues and hair, Oh my! God made us. Do y'all not think He knew we grew hair? Must be in the 614th commandment.....

psychoslice
Student

Post #35

Post by psychoslice »

McCulloch wrote:

psychoslice wrote:I wouldn't be concerned about it at all, there are more important things in life to be concerned with than hair, be it long, short, or bald.
So you would agree that the apostle Paul wasted his time on trivialities.
Yes I would have to say that Paul if he wrote that stuff was wasting his time, my god if there is a god out there that worries about hair it doesn't say much for him at all.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #36

Post by JP Cusick »

psychoslice wrote: Yes I would have to say that Paul if he wrote that stuff was wasting his time, my god if there is a god out there that worries about hair it doesn't say much for him at all.
The Bible tells of many things in order to get people to stop living like wild brute beast, and that includes grooming because our body is to be a temple.

The Bible tells us how to discipline our minds - how to think, it tells us how to speak, how to dress moderately, tells what to eat and what not to eat, it tells us how to act with friends and with family and with strangers and even how to act with enemies, and the Bible seems to cover every base and aspect with nothing left out, so telling women that their long hair is a blessed covering and for men to cut our hair short is not out of line.

It does not mean that God is worried about hair - it means that we humans need to rise above our animalistic heritage.
SIGNATURE:

polonius
Prodigy

The obvious answer?

Post #37

Post by polonius »

McCulloch posted
RESPONSE: If that were true, men would not be able to grow long hair!

psychoslice
Student

Post #38

Post by psychoslice »

JP Cusick wrote:
psychoslice wrote: Yes I would have to say that Paul if he wrote that stuff was wasting his time, my god if there is a god out there that worries about hair it doesn't say much for him at all.
The Bible tells of many things in order to get people to stop living like wild brute beast, and that includes grooming because our body is to be a temple.

The Bible tells us how to discipline our minds - how to think, it tells us how to speak, how to dress moderately, tells what to eat and what not to eat, it tells us how to act with friends and with family and with strangers and even how to act with enemies, and the Bible seems to cover every base and aspect with nothing left out, so telling women that their long hair is a blessed covering and for men to cut our hair short is not out of line.

It does not mean that God is worried about hair - it means that we humans need to rise above our animalistic heritage.
So women can grow long hair and men can't, that is so ridiculous.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #39

Post by JP Cusick »

psychoslice wrote: So women can grow long hair and men can't, that is so ridiculous.
It is not that they can or can not - it was not a commandment.

For a man to have long hair (including facial hair) is a sign of guilt, and it means continuing in the guilt (hiding some thing), because if the man repents then the guilt gets relief, and it comes from our animalistic heritage, because humans are just hairy animals, and religion along with morality and repentance makes us superior to our old carnal self.

For women their long hair is a sign of glory and honor - so to cut off the hair is done after they reject their own glory and honor.

The hair does not make anyone as good or bad, does not make anyone as right or wrong, it is just a physical sign and a mark for all to see.

I did not make it this way, so there is no need to get upset with me, as I am just the reporter of the News.

My view is that the Apostle Paul said that "nature" made us this way because Paul was referring to our animal nature, and that is simply accurate.
SIGNATURE:

polonius
Prodigy

Post #40

Post by polonius »

JP Cusick wrote:
psychoslice wrote: So women can grow long hair and men can't, that is so ridiculous.
It is not that they can or can not - it was not a commandment.

For a man to have long hair (including facial hair) is a sign of guilt, and it means continuing in the guilt (hiding some thing), because if the man repents then the guilt gets relief, and it comes from our animalistic heritage, because humans are just hairy animals, and religion along with morality and repentance makes us superior to our old carnal self.

For women their long hair is a sign of glory and honor - so to cut off the hair is done after they reject their own glory and honor.

The hair does not make anyone as good or bad, does not make anyone as right or wrong, it is just a physical sign and a mark for all to see.

I did not make it this way, so there is no need to get upset with me, as I am just the reporter of the News.

My view is that the Apostle Paul said that "nature" made us this way because Paul was referring to our animal nature, and that is simply accurate.
JP Cusick posted:

QUESTION: Does this mean that men with long hair can be identified as sinners, but women with long hair cannot?

Didn't Jesus have long hair?

I find it difficult to take such arguments seriously.