What does it mean the bible is "inspired" [June]

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

What does it mean the bible is "inspired" [June]

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

There are a number of topics that question whether the bible is "inspired" of God. What though does that expression actually mean to you?

All opinions welcome.

“INSPIRED�—WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

The Bible is made up of 66 small books, which were written by some 40 writers over a period of about 1,600 years. But if the Bible was written by men, how can it be “inspired of God�?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/maga ... ed-of-god/
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: What does it mean the bible is "inspired" [Jun

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by JehovahsWitness]

As much as the body is considered God's temple, I infer that through this temple the word of God has also been created. Thus, inspired by God.

:D
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

polonius
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by polonius »

JehovahsWitness wrote: There are a number of topics that question whether the bible is "inspired" of God. What though does that expression actually mean to you?

All opinions welcome.

“INSPIRED�—WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

The Bible is made up of 66 small books, which were written by some 40 writers over a period of about 1,600 years. But if the Bible was written by men, how can it be “inspired of God�?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/maga ... ed-of-god/
RESPONSE:

If the Bible is "inspired" by God either it is totally inspired by God or only partially inspired by God.

If only partially inspired by God, it can't be claimed to be totally authoritative.

If on the other hand it is totally inspired by God, it must be free from all error unless one allows that God made the errors.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

[Replying to post 3 by polonius.advice]

Yes but what I'm specifically interested in is what people mean when they say "inspired". I think people use the word differently ranging from "sparked a feeling or an interest" to "dictated information word for word".

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

polonius
Prodigy

hat does divine inspiration entail?

Post #5

Post by polonius »

"Hence, because the Holy Ghost employed men as His instruments, we cannot therefore say that it was these inspired instruments who, perchance, have fallen into error, and not the primary author."

"For, by supernatural power, He so moved and impelled them to write-He was so present to them-that the things which He ordered, and those only, they, first, rightly understood, then willed faithfully to write down, and finally expressed in apt words and with infallible truth."

"Otherwise, it could not be said that He was the Author of the entire Scripture."

" Such has always been the persuasion of the Fathers. "Therefore," says St. Augustine, "since they wrote the things which He showed and uttered to them, it cannot be pretended that He is not the writer; for His members executed what their Head dictated. And St. Gregory the Great thus pronounces: "Most superfluous it is to inquire who wrote these things we loyally believe the Holy Ghost to be the Author of the book. He wrote it Who dictated it for writing; He wrote it Who inspired its execution. "

polonius
Prodigy

Getting around the inerrancy claim

Post #6

Post by polonius »

On the other hand, many errors and contradictions can be found in scripture. But the Catholic Church at Vatican II found a way around this fact while maintaining that Scripture was inspired.

107 The inspired books teach the truth. "Since therefore all that the inspired authors or sacred writers affirm should be regarded as affirmed by the Holy Spirit, we must acknowledge that the books of Scripture firmly, faithfully, and without error teach that truth which God, for the sake of our salvation, wished to see confided to the Sacred Scriptures.

So if there is a provable contradiction or other error, then that passage was not necessary for our salvation. What a clever explanation. ;)

I don't know what biblical fundamentalists think about this explanation.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: There are a number of topics that question whether the bible is "inspired" of God. What though does that expression actually mean to you?

All opinions welcome.
For me it exposes the obvious fallacy of this religion.

This religion is supposed to be about a God who gave very precise commandments to men that they must obey lest they be condemned by this God. Therefore the very idea that the doctrines of this religion are merely "inspired" by God doesn't hold up.

A God who expects precise and complete obedience needs to make it crystal clear precisely what it is that he expects us to obey. In other thread a Christian suggested to me that the Bible may not be about precise and complete obedience to God. However, that idea fails in the story of the Garden of Eden and the whole idea of the "fall from grace". If it was unclear precisely what this God expects from people then why should it be clear that Adam and Eve did anything wrong?

So this whole religious paradigm falls apart the very moment we try to defend it by suggesting that it's merely the "inspired" word of God. In short, it's a failed apology for this obviously flawed religious doctrine.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

[Replying to post 7 by Divine Insight]

I can't tell did you say what you think the word "inspired" to mean?

polonius
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by polonius »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 7 by Divine Insight]

I can't tell did you say what you think the word "inspired" to mean?
RESPONSE: If in doubt about the meaning of a word, that's what dictionaries are for:

For example, "Inspired" is defined as " to influence, move, or guide by divine or supernatural inspiration.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

polonius.advice wrote:RESPONSE: If in doubt about the meaning of a word, that's what dictionaries are for:

For example, "Inspired" is defined as " to influence, move, or guide by divine or supernatural inspiration.

When it comes to the bible, everybody has a different take on what it means and that despite the existence of dictionaries. For example I can be "moved" by God to writes Something, meaning that the thought of God motivated me to start, that doesn't necessarily mean that what I write is without fault.

DO YOU believe that the Bible is from God? Or do you think that it is a book that contains purely thoughts from men?

That is an ongoing debate even among professed Christians. For instance, in 2014 a Gallup poll in the United States revealed that the majority of nominal Christians agreed that “the Bible is connected in some way to God.� On the other hand, about 1 in 5 polled viewed the Bible as a book of “ancient fables, legends, history, and precepts written by man.� This controversy puts the spotlight on the real meaning of the term “inspired� with regard to the Bible.—2 Timothy 3:16.

Full article: https://www.jw.org/en/publications/maga ... ed-of-god/
so that's why I asked the question, what does "inspired" mean to people.