Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Atheophobia

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Atheophobia

Many Theists here and elsewhere exhibit signs of suffering from atheophobia -- [An irrational] 'fear, distrust, or hatred of atheists or atheism'. http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheophobia. This is akin to homophobia or other bigotry, but without sexual or skin color implications.

Is Atheophobia actually a form of bigotry? The definition of bigot is: 'a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance'. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

Atheophobics seem ignorant of the fact that theistic position does NOT determine one's character, ethics, behavior, morality, honesty, integrity -- and many refuse to accept that Theists are no more 'righteous' than Non-Theists (defined as 'characterized by uprightness or morality: morally right or justifiable: acting in an upright, moral way; virtuous: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/righteous).

Many claim to be following a superior moral code provided by 'gods', but their actions in society (and in debate here) belie that claim. Christians are incarcerated and are divorced at rates similar to Non-Christians, and Christian women have a half-million abortions per year in the US (while the religion typically preaches / agitates against the practice). The roster of members on Probation or Suspension and those Banished is heavily populated by Theists. Hypocrisy?

WHY do Theists so often express fear, hated, and distrust Atheists? Perhaps they have been BRAINWASHED / indoctrinated / taught by their religious organizations, 'authorities', and literature to believe that Non-Believers are EVIL people, 'just wanting to sin', immoral, unethical, untrustworthy, etc, etc. The Bible is quite explicit in condemnation of non-believers -- and the minions who worship the Bible characters seem to take that as justification for acting out in their lives.

Of course, those teachings cannot be shown to have a basis in fact -- and the difference between Believers and Non-Believers IS -- the former believe in gods and the latter do not. Period. Other than that, they are indistinguishable.

Why might religious organizations teach fear, hatred, distrust of Atheists? Atheists are a THREAT to religious organizations because they demonstrate for all to see (including Believers) that worshiping gods and being 'religious' is NOT necessary to live a good, righteous, upright, moral, ethical, life. Preachers do not benefit by having their customers ('flock') become aware that they are NOT superior to Non-Theists or even followers of competing religions.

Religionists may like to THINK they are superior (often while pretending to be 'humble') morally, ethically, righteously, etc -- but they are NOT = meaning such claims have NOT been supported by verifiable data / information / evidence.

On the individual level, Theists may dislike Atheists who challenge their religious tales and claims. No one likes to have their position challenged UNLESS their position is very strong and can easily withstand challenge. For example, I welcome and invite anyone to challenge my theistic position (stated clearly in signature). Have at it -- wail away -- make yourself look foolish.

Deflating egos, destroying weak 'arguments', and poking holes in 'sacred tales' and 'holy books' tends to build resentment (as though such things were immune to criticism). Removing privilege causes many to feel 'oppressed' or 'discriminated against' when treated with equality. Religionists who feel entitled to preferential treatment tend to get 'bent out of shape' when not given special consideration (or unearned respect). We can see that happening in these debates when the 'pious' are treated like everyone else and required to respect Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Attacks on theistic positions are often regarded as personal attacks by those heavily emotionally invested in their religious beliefs (failing to distinguish between one's beliefs and one's person). The response (in these debates) is often 'retaliation' against 'skeptics' and 'Atheists' with personal, negative, denigrating remarks and hateful attitudes (by those who claim that theirs is a religion of love -- and who claim to follow the teaching 'love your neighbor and your enemy').

However, some Christians who, after avoiding the dreaded Atheists, encounter some who are decent folk, they may be shocked to discover that an Atheist can be just as righteous, kind, generous, honest, etc as their Christian friends (or more so). A very Christian friend once told me, 'You are [act] more Christian that 98 percent of those who call themselves Christians'.

I do not regard that as a complement to me (I just do what I think is right -- and do not consider that as anything special); however, I do regard it as a condemnation of the 98% who do less (but attempt to claim high moral ground).

The cure for Atheophobia appears to be to venture out of the cloistered world of religious people / environments and interact regularly with people of different theistic positions -- and to stop believing everything preachers and Bible writers say about non-believers. Recovery might also be aided by dispensing with the silly notion that worshiping gods, following religions, or pretending to be pious imparts noble characteristics that are denied to those who don't believe in magic.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Atheophobia

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

While I am absolutely not atheophobic why is it that the d*mn good Atheists remain Atheists and not Secular Humanists? If they are so very kind to people in general I find this discrepancy...
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Atheophobia

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

Aetixintro wrote: While I am absolutely not atheophobic
Of course not -- of course . . . There isn't the slightest hint of any such thing. Why would anyone even suspect that?
Aetixintro wrote: why is it that the d*mn good Atheists remain Atheists and not Secular Humanists? If they are so very kind to people in general I find this discrepancy...
Perhaps the 'discrepancy' could be understood if one was aware that being an Atheist does NOT preclude being Secular Humanist and that Secular Humanism includes Atheism. The two terms are not contradictory or mutually exclusive.

Atheism = without belief in gods

Secular humanism = "The philosophy or life stance of secular humanism embraces human reason, ethics, social justice, and philosophical naturalism while specifically rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, pseudoscience, and superstition as the bases of morality and decision making.

"Secular humanism posits that human beings are capable of being ethical and moral without religion or a god. It does not, however, assume that humans are either inherently evil or innately good, nor does it present humans as being superior to nature. Rather, the humanist life stance emphasizes the unique responsibility facing humanity and the ethical consequences of human decisions. Fundamental to the concept of secular humanism is the strongly held viewpoint that ideology—be it religious or political—must be thoroughly examined by each individual and not simply accepted or rejected on faith. Along with this, an essential part of secular humanism is a continually adapting search for truth, primarily through science and philosophy. Many secular humanists derive their moral codes from a philosophy of utilitarianism, ethical naturalism, or evolutionary ethics, and some, such as Sam Harris, advocate a science of morality."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence