Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Demons before the Crucifix

Post #1

Post by Willum »

So, I'd like to ask the simple question:

Before the crucifix what did demons and vampires (etc ad nauseum) run away from?
The Jews would have no power over them without that idol of Christ, correct?

So how did they get rid of demons, vampires, fairies, unicorns and so on?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 20 by Regens Küchl]

Moderator Comment

Debate-by-link-alone is not permitted. Formulate and present your argument.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Willum
Savant

Post #22

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 20 by Regens Küchl]

Ah, thank you, but I am not certain these are Before Christ entries - the Greek is, as you say not evil... and that begs the question itself.

Do you assume they don't exist? In consideration, I don't even know what to make of "Greek spirits" in the Hebrew context.
Could Jesus exercise non-demonic spirits? You see, you start to count angels on the heads of pins real fast...

Also begging the question, were the sacrifices to demons, or non-existence spirits?

It beyond my ability to reason-out, I suppose.

Anyone?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by ttruscott »

Willum wrote: Team - this topic is about what was done about demons, fairies and vampires BEFORE Jesus and the crucifix.
Willum wrote: [Replying to post 11 by OnceConvinced]

I suppose there is no denying that this is the cupie doll.
Yes, there were no such things as demons until the NT.

There were, gods, maybe false gods, but no demons.
I believe this conclusion is wrongly concluded as based on ignorance...

wiki on Demonic Possession:
We are told that "an evil spirit troubled" Saul (1 Samuel 16:14). The Hebrew rûah need not imply a personal influence, though, if we may judge from Josephus (Ant. Jud., VI, viii, 2; ii, 2), the Jews were inclined to give the word that meaning in this very case; [Saul's evil spirit].

Music:
1 Samuel 16:23: So it came about whenever the evil spirit from God came to Saul, David would take the harp and play it with his hand; and Saul would be refreshed and be well, and the evil spirit would depart from him.

Smoke:
In the what Protestants call apocryphal but Catholics have as canon, the Book of Tobit, Sarah resided in the city of Media and was tormented by a demon. She had been married to seven husbands, all of whom the evil spirit Asmodeus had killed before they had lain with her; indicating that the demon caused her to strangle them.Tobit 3:8 Tobias had previously caught a fish in the story and was instructed by Brother Aarias on how to cast out the demon: "if a devil or an evil spirit trouble any, we must make a smoke thereof before the man or the woman, and the party shall be no more vexed.

So in at least one canonical, OT reference and one aprocraphyl reference we have two methods pre-cross for dealing with demons, to whit, smoke and music.
Last edited by ttruscott on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by ttruscott »

Willum wrote:I wonder what the real, dare I say, genesis of demons is?
I dare say that they are the followers of the Satanic rebellion who where thrown/cast to the earth by Michael and the holy angels. The first one of note was the serpent of the garden. Revelation 12:7 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. 9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

The Satanic angels when born as human (Matthew 13:38-39) are the goats of Matt 25:41.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Willum
Savant

Post #25

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 23 by ttruscott]

Covered, if not read.
Those refer to human spirits...

So, no demons before Christ...
Maybe he brought them with him.

The fallen angel myth is from AD.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight