Reading Jesus into the "Old" Testament.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Reading Jesus into the "Old" Testament.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

A preacher on TBN indicated that Jesus the "High Priest" was the LORD spoken of in the 23rd and the 91st Psalm.

Who was King David's LORD in Psalm 23? Jesus or Jehovah?

Who was King David's LORD in Pslam 91? Jesus or Jehovah?

And these are only two examples of retro-projection of Jesus into the Hebrew Bible where he does not reside.

For debate.

1) Do you think the Father approves of Jesus getting all the glory in the minds and in the hearts of Evangelicals, even in the many passages where Father YHVH alone is to be glorified? (like all the passages of the Hebrew Bible?)

2) And if Jesus gets all the glory today, what is left for the Father? Is He to be for us only the proud Father cheering on His Son?

3) In effect, has Jesus replaced Jehovah?

4) If Jesus has replaced Jehovah, is this a good or a bad thing?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Re: Reading Jesus into the "Old" Testament.

Post #2

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

1) Do you think the Father approves of Jesus getting all the glory in the minds and in the hearts of Evangelicals, even in the many passages where Father YHVH alone is to be glorified? (like all the passages of the Hebrew Bible?)
To speak of "the Father" of the O.T. is an anachronism, as if the O.t. authors had a concept of "the Son". YHWH is sometimes described as a father, as Israel is described (or Israel's king) as a son. The N.T. is considered a further revelation, which means that passages of the Hebrew Bible required interpretation in light of later revelation.
2) And if Jesus gets all the glory today, what is left for the Father? Is He to be for us only the proud Father cheering on His Son?

I don't see how Jesus gets "all the glory". The N.T. is packed with praises to the Father as well as the son.
3) In effect, has Jesus replaced Jehovah?

If you mean, is that what the N.T. has done, no, certainly not. Some evangelicals may be imbalanced in their praises, but the N.T. is not.

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Reading Jesus into the "Old" Testament.

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 2 by liamconnor]

I agree with you in this regard. The NT also glorifies the Father. Especiially the Jesus of the Synoptics.

I was speaking more of how glory is given in the present day, mostly by Evangelicals.

Though in fairness, they often pray to the Father, in Jesus name. Not always, sometimes they pray to Jesus in Jesus name!

But it really seems like lip service, and nominal attention to Father YHVH. Jesus seems to be the object of their love and devotion, moreso than the Father.

Evidence, the amount of Hymns written and sung to Jesus, and about Jesus. Compare that to the amount dedicated to Father YHVH. And music is the medium of love. It shows where the heart is.

When an Evangelical says "Prais the Lord"? Who do you suppose they are referring to? Jesus or Jehovah?

Or when they exclaim "Hallelujah" (Praise Yah) Do they mean Jesus or Jehovah?

And when they attempt to project Jesus into just about every passage in the Hebrew Bible, they find a ready home for him in every passage that speaks of the LORD YHVH, This really seems like usurpation, and an attempt to conflate Lord (as in Jesus) with LORD, (as in YHVH)

In short, Jesus is the hero of the New Testament, not Jehovah. (unfortunate, by my way of thinking)
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.