Non Believers Are "Evasive" and "Nervous"

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Non Believers Are "Evasive" and "Nervous"

Post #1

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

I posted this in another string. But it seemed important enough to give it it's own topic.

liamconnor wrote: Is it possible that atheists evade offering a positive alternative historical explanation for Christian origins because it is hard (anyone can doubt something, after all) and they are nervous it might get them trapped: that is, they might have to defend a position which itself might crumble?
You have been a member of this forum for two years now. To insist that non believers are somehow "nervous" or timid or have in some way been evasive in offering an explanation for the origins of Christianity is way past distressing and all the way to psychotic. As in, a complete disassociation from reality. In what way does it seem to you that making these sorts of obviously ridiculous declarations is somehow strengthening your claims? Because to the rest of us they seem nothing short of delusional.

But I will be perfectly happy to take you up on your claim that no one can offer an explanation for the origins of Christianity. The short version is to be found in Matthew 27:62-64.

Matthew 27:
[62] Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
[63] Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
[64] Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.

And there you have it, right in the pages of the Gospels. Because this is EXACTLY what occurred, according to the NT. The body of Jesus disappeared, and a few weeks later his followers began spreading the rumor that he had risen from the dead.

But for a slightly deeper analysis, let's turn to what the Gospels themselves detail.

1) Jesus was crucified and died on the Friday before Passover.
2) The body of Jesus was turned over to his followers (Joseph and Nicodemus) that same day by the Roman governor. (Matt.27:57; John 19:38)
3) The body of Jesus was taken to the personal tomb of Joseph of Arimathea to be washed and prepared because the tomb was conveniently close to the place where Jesus was crucified.(John. 19:42)
4) The body of Jesus was washed according to Jewish tradition, and heavily wrapped and coated with 100 pounds mixture of aloe/myrrh.(John.19:39)
5) The entrance to Joseph's tomb was covered with a large stone and the disciples departed.(Matt.27:60)
6) The Next day (Saturday) the chief Jewish priests asked for and received permission from the Roman governor to place a guard at Joseph's tomb.
7) Finding the tomb entrance closed off by the large stone, and, given the nature of the high holy day, the priests simply placed seals on the closed tomb and set a guard.
8) The next morning (Sunday) Joseph's tomb proved to be empty.

So we are confronted with the obvious conclusion that Joseph's personal tomb was already empty when the priests set the guard. We also notice that the disciples of Jesus were the last individuals to be in clear control of the body.

Now Acts indicates that after being away in Galilee for about forty days, the apostles and other disciples returned to Jerusalem. (Acts 1:3) On the day termed by Christians as the day of Pentecost, the followers of Jesus began spreading the rumor that Jesus had "risen from the dead." Who witnessed the "risen" Jesus? His followers and ONLY his followers. And where was the "risen" man now? He was gone, having lifted bodily up off of the ground and disappeared into the clouds. (Acts 1:9) Who witnessed the "risen" Jesus lift bodily off of the ground and fly up into the sky, disappearing into the clouds? His followers and ONLY his followers.

What did the Jewish priests believe the followers of Jesus intended to do? Relocate the body of Jesus from Joseph's tomb and then spread the rumor that Jesus had risen from the dead. And what happened? The tomb of Joseph proved to be empty and some six weeks later the followers of Jesus began spreading the rumor that Jesus had risen from the dead.

Now, if you still wish to assert that non believers are somehow unable or uncertain about providing an explanation for the origins of Christianity, perhaps you should read the answer that has been provided to you yet again a few dozen more times!

Agreements? Disagreements?
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Re: Non Believers Are "Evasive" and "Nervous&

Post #11

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 8 by rikuoamero]
Okay, so how then do you, liam, rule out the possibility of the body being moved? I can't count the number of times I've heard from other Christians that the 'fact' there were Roman guards standing watch over the tomb means there is no possibility of foul play or trickery.
As an historical possibility, sure, it is something that should be investigated. But I dismiss TON's theory because it multiplies too many hypotheses and is uncritical of the data.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #12

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Halfbaked... as compared with the conclusion that Joseph's tomb proved to be empty because the corpse came back to life and left of it's own volition... you mean?
uhh...Half-baked compared to better natural explanations maybe?
A natural explanation is a natural explanation. It may or may not be the correct explanation.

half-baked [haf-beykt,]
adjective
1. insufficiently cooked.
2. not completed; insufficiently planned or prepared:
3. lacking mature judgment or experience; unrealistic.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/half-baked?s=t

A conclusion that contradicts all common experience and therefor all common sense is "half-baked" by definition.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 12 by Tired of the Nonsense]
A natural explanation is a natural explanation. It may or may not be the correct explanation.
Bad explanation = Doesn't account for the data and is an affront to Occam's Razor.

Good explanation = Accounts for the data and allows Occam to rest peacefully in his grave.

Natural explanation = does not invoke supernatural entities

Supernatural Explanation = involves supernatural entities.

Now, you seem to think that because you can provide a bad natural explanation, it suddenly becomes good when compared with a good supernatural explanation?

How about finding a good natural explanation?

To say, "I don't have to..." is precisely the response that led to the insinuation that atheists were evasive.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #14

[Replying to post 13 by liamconnor]
liamconnor wrote: Bad explanation = Doesn't account for the data and is an affront to Occam's Razor.
Good explanation = Accounts for the data and allows Occam to rest peacefully in his grave.
What data does my explanation NOT account for? Occam wasn't there either, by the way. But just what "assumptions" have I made?
liamconnor wrote: Natural explanation = does not invoke supernatural entities
My explanation relies on no supernatural explanation.
liamconnor wrote: Supernatural Explanation = involves supernatural entities.
The Christian explanation REQUIRES a supernatural intervention.
liamconnor wrote: Now, you seem to think that because you can provide a bad natural explanation, it suddenly becomes good when compared with a good supernatural explanation?
I think I have arrived at an obvious natural explanation based entirely on the evidence at hand.
liamconnor wrote: How about finding a good natural explanation?
If you have a better natural explanation let's hear it.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by Justin108 »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Tired of the Nonsense]

liamconnor wrote:

Is it possible that atheists evade offering a positive alternative historical explanation for Christian origins because it is hard (anyone can doubt something, after all) and they are nervous it might get them trapped: that is, they might have to defend a position which itself might crumble?
I asked a question; you use the language "insist"?
leading question
noun
a question that prompts or encourages the answer wanted.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Justin108 »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 12 by Tired of the Nonsense]
Bad explanation = Doesn't account for the data and is an affront to Occam's Razor.

Natural explanation = does not invoke supernatural entities

Supernatural Explanation = involves supernatural entities.

Now, you seem to think that because you can provide a bad natural explanation, it suddenly becomes good when compared with a good supernatural explanation?

How about finding a good natural explanation?

To say, "I don't have to..." is precisely the response that led to the insinuation that atheists were evasive.
Are you suggesting that Occam's Razor takes precedence over science?

You also fail to consider that Occam's Razor is not necessarily about the amount of assumptions but also the severity of assumptions. Not all assumptions are equal.

To illustrate: Jenny is missing. The night before, she was home alone. Her house was locked from the inside. Her alarm system was armed. She has very high walls. There is no sign of struggle. There is no sign of breaking and entering.

Suggested explanations:
1. Someone kidnapped her
2. She was abducted by aliens

Assumptions made by scenario 1.
- someone managed to climb the wall.
- someone managed to surpass the alarm system
- someone managed to enter the house without leaving any signs of breaking and entering

Assumptions made by scenario 2.
- aliens abducted her

Notice how scenario 1 made far more assumptions than scenario 2. However, the assumption made by scenario 2 is far greater than the assumptions made by scenario 1. So which scenario is more likely? If (as you seem to suggest) the one with the fewest assumptions (regardless of what those assumptions may be) is the most likely, then I guess Jenny must have been abducted by aliens?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #17

Post by Bust Nak »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: ...all the way to psychotic. As in, a complete disassociation from reality...
...you are exhibiting traits that seem to indicate that you may be disconnected from reality.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Please do not make any personal remark.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #18

Post by Realworldjack »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
I posted this in another string. But it seemed important enough to give it it's own topic.

liamconnor wrote:
Is it possible that atheists evade offering a positive alternative historical explanation for Christian origins because it is hard (anyone can doubt something, after all) and they are nervous it might get them trapped: that is, they might have to defend a position which itself might crumble?

You have been a member of this forum for two years now. To insist that non believers are somehow "nervous" or timid or have in some way been evasive in offering an explanation for the origins of Christianity is way past distressing and all the way to psychotic. As in, a complete disassociation from reality. In what way does it seem to you that making these sorts of obviously ridiculous declarations is somehow strengthening your claims? Because to the rest of us they seem nothing short of delusional.

But I will be perfectly happy to take you up on your claim that no one can offer an explanation for the origins of Christianity. The short version is to be found in Matthew 27:62-64.

Matthew 27:
[62] Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
[63] Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
[64] Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.

And there you have it, right in the pages of the Gospels. Because this is EXACTLY what occurred, according to the NT. The body of Jesus disappeared, and a few weeks later his followers began spreading the rumor that he had risen from the dead.

But for a slightly deeper analysis, let's turn to what the Gospels themselves detail.

1) Jesus was crucified and died on the Friday before Passover.
2) The body of Jesus was turned over to his followers (Joseph and Nicodemus) that same day by the Roman governor. (Matt.27:57; John 19:38)
3) The body of Jesus was taken to the personal tomb of Joseph of Arimathea to be washed and prepared because the tomb was conveniently close to the place where Jesus was crucified.(John. 19:42)
4) The body of Jesus was washed according to Jewish tradition, and heavily wrapped and coated with 100 pounds mixture of aloe/myrrh.(John.19:39)
5) The entrance to Joseph's tomb was covered with a large stone and the disciples departed.(Matt.27:60)
6) The Next day (Saturday) the chief Jewish priests asked for and received permission from the Roman governor to place a guard at Joseph's tomb.
7) Finding the tomb entrance closed off by the large stone, and, given the nature of the high holy day, the priests simply placed seals on the closed tomb and set a guard.
8) The next morning (Sunday) Joseph's tomb proved to be empty.

So we are confronted with the obvious conclusion that Joseph's personal tomb was already empty when the priests set the guard. We also notice that the disciples of Jesus were the last individuals to be in clear control of the body.

Now Acts indicates that after being away in Galilee for about forty days, the apostles and other disciples returned to Jerusalem. (Acts 1:3) On the day termed by Christians as the day of Pentecost, the followers of Jesus began spreading the rumor that Jesus had "risen from the dead." Who witnessed the "risen" Jesus? His followers and ONLY his followers. And where was the "risen" man now? He was gone, having lifted bodily up off of the ground and disappeared into the clouds. (Acts 1:9) Who witnessed the "risen" Jesus lift bodily off of the ground and fly up into the sky, disappearing into the clouds? His followers and ONLY his followers.

What did the Jewish priests believe the followers of Jesus intended to do? Relocate the body of Jesus from Joseph's tomb and then spread the rumor that Jesus had risen from the dead. And what happened? The tomb of Joseph proved to be empty and some six weeks later the followers of Jesus began spreading the rumor that Jesus had risen from the dead.

Now, if you still wish to assert that non believers are somehow unable or uncertain about providing an explanation for the origins of Christianity, perhaps you should read the answer that has been provided to you yet again a few dozen more times!

Agreements? Disagreements?

As I have said in the past, "it is clear you have placed a lot of time and effort into your alternative explanation concerning the events surrounding the events about Jesus, and the reported Resurrection."

However, for you to go to such an extent demonstrates that there surely must be good reasons to believe in the Christian message, otherwise there would be no reason to attempt to come up with these other POSSIBLE solutions, in an attempt to explain away what has been recorded. In other words, if there was no good reasons to believe the reports recorded in the Bible, because they were so obviously false, then there would be no reason to spend so much time, and energy in an attempt to refute them.

Another point is, your explanation admits the FACT that the tomb was indeed empty! In other words, the evidence for the tomb being empty, must be overwhelming, because it would be far easier to simply point out that there is no real evidence that the tomb was ever empty at all. However, you are at least aware that this cannot be done.

Having said all the above, there are still some holes in your theory, and we will leave the gaps for another time, but you still must come up with explanations for the rest off of the story.

You see, you must have an explanation for Paul, and the author of Luke, and the "Action of the Apostles." The evidence is overwhelming that Paul was one of the main reasons for the spread of Christianity throughout the known world at the time, and there is no doubt we have a number of letters authored by Paul.

So then, while there are those who want to question the authorship, and the times at which some of the other letters were written, (because that is all they have, and they realize they must come up with something) they cannot question some of the letters of Paul, which means they are gonna have a lot of problems with the "Gospel of Luke" and the "Actions of the Apostles", as well.

Now we can go through these things if you like, however, my main point here is, I have never claimed to be able to prove the Christian message to be true. I have never said there is no reason to doubt it. I have simply claimed that there are good, and solid reasons to believe the Chrstian message, and your atttempts to explain these reasons away, certainly seem to demonstrate my position.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #19

[Replying to post 18 by Realworldjack]
Realworldjack wrote: As I have said in the past, "it is clear you have placed a lot of time and effort into your alternative explanation concerning the events surrounding the events about Jesus, and the reported Resurrection."

However, for you to go to such an extent demonstrates that there surely must be good reasons to believe in the Christian message, otherwise there would be no reason to attempt to come up with these other POSSIBLE solutions, in an attempt to explain away what has been recorded. In other words, if there was no good reasons to believe the reports recorded in the Bible, because they were so obviously false, then there would be no reason to spend so much time, and energy in an attempt to refute them.
I was raised to be a Christian as a boy. But by the time I was 13 it had become apparent to me that Christian claims are far to silly to have any real viability. That was in 1961. My friends and family, everyone I knew, were believing Christians. I didn't know a single other atheist. And yet it was clear to me that everyone but me believed in foolishness. And they believed largely because everyone else believed. They were told that their beliefs were beyond question, as I was, so they never question them. But I am very skeptical by nature. When things don't make sense to me I am compelled to work out the nature of the problem. And what I worked out is that Christianity is nonsense.

I didn't walk around with a sign on saying: "You all believe in nonsense." But the subject did inevitably come up. And so I was forced to carefully and systematically explain why I was right and everyone else was wrong. And, yes, it was pointed out to me many times that taking the position that I was right and everyone else was wrong is a very precocious position to take. And yet it was a position I was FORCED to take. Because it was quite clear to me that my reasoning was quite valid, as evidenced by the fact that the believers that I engaged in debate not only could not overcome my argument, and were clearly quite shocked themselves by this fact, but had obviously never themselves considered the arguments that I was making. If the entire world is wrong then it is time for the entire world to change.

Fifty five years later I live in a world where I am surrounded by other skeptics. Religion is superstitious nonsense. As the modern world becomes more educated this fact becomes increasingly more obvious. I wasn't the only skeptic in 1961, as it turns out. I was a little ahead of the curve, but the rest of the world is now catching up. I have simply been considering this problem of religious foolishness, specifically Christian foolishness since I live in a country that is predominantly Christian, longer than most people. So I have gotten pretty good at it.

If you lived in a world where everyone else believed that Santa lives at the north pole, has a team of flying reindeer, and all of the rest of it, would you decide that everyone else must be right, and subscribe to a belief in Santa yourself? Or would you spend the time and energy necessary to explain to the WHOLE WORLD in detail, why they are being foolish? Maybe you are just not that hard headed. But some of us are.

I don't consider that I have ever been either "evasive" or "nervous" in this endeavor either, I must say.
Realworldjack wrote: Another point is, your explanation admits the FACT that the tomb was indeed empty! In other words, the evidence for the tomb being empty, must be overwhelming, because it would be far easier to simply point out that there is no real evidence that the tomb was ever empty at all. However, you are at least aware that this cannot be done.
All four Gospels indicate that the body of Jesus was taken to a tomb to be washed and prepared, and that this tomb later proved to be empty. Since the four Gospels represent the ONLY source of information concerning the origins of the story of the risen Jesus that anyone considers to be potentially valid, then this is the information I am forced to consider. Some people consider the fact that Paul never mentions the tomb at all to be a reason to discount the story of the tomb. But there is nothing inherently unbelievable about the story of the rich man Joseph having had a new tomb constructed. This was a common practice among those who could afford it because it was common practice among the Jew to bury family members together. All four Gospels mention the tomb, and unless we are going to throw out the entire story, there is no particular reason to question the tomb.
Realworldjack wrote: Having said all the above, there are still some holes in your theory, and we will leave the gaps for another time, but you still must come up with explanations for the rest off of the story.
Why leave the "gaps" for another time? If you can discredit my synopsis then please do so. Otherwise making such a claim is little more than empty bravado. Because no one has done so yet.
Realworldjack wrote: You see, you must have an explanation for Paul, and the author of Luke, and the "Action of the Apostles." The evidence is overwhelming that Paul was one of the main reasons for the spread of Christianity throughout the known world at the time, and there is no doubt we have a number of letters authored by Paul.
We do have a number of Paul's letters. And I do not even claim that Paul was lying. I personally feel that Paul was genuine in his beliefs. To indicate that I "must have an explanation for Paul" is a little insulting however, since I have given you just such an explanation repeatedly over the years. Much like liam, you simply will not allow the explanation to soak in. But I am always perfectly happy to provide the information as many times as it takes.

According to Acts 9, while on the road to Damascus Paul became stricken. Acts specifically indicates that at one point Paul went three days without drinking. Whatever the cause, Paul was clearly severely dehydrated and therefore deathly ill. Three days without water is a critical condition. Severe dehydration commonly affects the eyesight, as the vitreous fluid in the eye thickens and sight is diminished, and causes the neurons in the brain to misfire from lack of fluid, inevitably resulting in hallucinations. Among other symptoms, severely dehydrated individuals are routinely "out of their heads."

So, sick and disoriented Paul had to be taken into the city by his traveling companions who then left him at the home of a CHRISTIAN MAN to be cared for. This is a significant point! Sick and delirious from dehydration, and while being tended to and prayed over by a CHRISTIAN MAN, Paul came to believe after his recovery that during his illness he had experienced a face to face visitation with the years dead Jesus. This experience proved to be life changing for Paul and after his recovery Paul became a confirmed Christian. Hardly a surprise, really, given the circumstances.

But we in the 21st century, in the light of reason and logic, are left to consider whether it is more reasonable to conclude that Paul, in his delirium, and while being tended to and prayed over by a Christian, hallucinated a vision of Jesus. Or, conversely, whether it is reasonable to conclude that it is more likely that Paul actually MET WITH AND CONVERSED WITH A DEAD MAN! I notice that which side of this question opinion tends to fall invariably has a very direct correlation to whether or not a person has been programmed from an early age to uncritically accept stories of miracles and flying reanimated corpses, and the like.

So, do I consider Paul to be a liar? No, not at all. Reading his words causes me to suppose that his belief was genuine. Does that mean that Paul actually met with and spoke to a dead man? No, of course not!

It is clear from any reading of Acts that the author of both Luke and Acts was himself a Christian, and an admirer/disciple of Paul. Much of his information seems to have been taken directly from Paul, and like Paul he was himself a true believer. Much as you are. And like Paul and the author of Luke, you have no actual direct knowledge of Jesus. Only what you have been told by others. And like them you have chosen to believe for reasons of your own. It has become much more difficult to make the story of a corpse that comes back to life and then flies away appear to be reasonable in this day and age, however.
Realworldjack wrote: So then, while there are those who want to question the authorship, and the times at which some of the other letters were written, (because that is all they have, and they realize they must come up with something) they cannot question some of the letters of Paul, which means they are gonna have a lot of problems with the "Gospel of Luke" and the "Actions of the Apostles", as well.
The authenticity of some of the letters attributed to Paul have been challenged by scholars. Those that are not challenged do seem to be the words of a man expressing his true beliefs, in my opinion. That does not indicate that his true beliefs were actually true however. I am not questioning that Paul or the author of Gospel Luke and Acts may well have genuinely believed that what they wrote was true. But they were not a direct witness to ANY OF IT. I don't question that you genuinely believe either. But you were a direct witness to NONE OF IT. And unless you can make a case that believing that a corpse came back to life and then subsequently flew away is a reasonable one, your beliefs are eminently unrealistic. Such claims seemed silly to me when I was 13. Fifty five years later they still seem just as silly. Much like encountering adults who continue to believe in flying reindeer.
Realworldjack wrote: Now we can go through these things if you like, however, my main point here is, I have never claimed to be able to prove the Christian message to be true. I have never said there is no reason to doubt it. I have simply claimed that there are good, and solid reasons to believe the Christian message, and your attempts to explain these reasons away, certainly seem to demonstrate my position.
This is a Christian debate forum. "Going through these things" is what we do here. You begin in a deep hole of unrealistic claims. The core belief of Christianity is that a corpse came back to life and then flew away. And that discredits the central claim of Christianity from the outset. Because we no longer live in a world of make believe and superstition. But if you have some valid evidence that Christian claims are necessarily true, then please present it. "It's true because my parents said so," or "because everyone I know says so," or "because I feel in in my heart," doesn't really count for anything. Hard evidence is all that really matters. And hard evidence indicates that a corpse cannot come back to life and then fly away. That is your hurdle. And I have reason to consider it insurmountable.

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #20

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to post 19 by Tired of the Nonsense]

TON wrote:I was raised to be a Christian as a boy. But by the time I was 13 it had become apparent to me that Christian claims are far to silly to have any real viability. That was in 1961. My friends and family, everyone I knew, were believing Christians. I didn't know a single other atheist. And yet it was clear to me that everyone but me believed in foolishness. And they believed largely because everyone else believed. They were told that their beliefs were beyond question, as I was, so they never question them. But I am very skeptical by nature. When things don't make sense to me I am compelled to work out the nature of the problem. And what I worked out is that Christianity is nonsense.

I didn't walk around with a sign on saying: "You all believe in nonsense." But the subject did inevitably come up. And so I was forced to carefully and systematically explain why I was right and everyone else was wrong. And, yes, it was pointed out to me many times that taking the position that I was right and everyone else was wrong is a very precocious position to take. And yet it was a position I was FORCED to take. Because it was quite clear to me that my reasoning was quite valid, as evidenced by the fact that the believers that I engaged in debate not only could not overcome my argument, and were clearly quite shocked themselves by this fact, but had obviously never themselves considered the arguments that I was making. If the entire world is wrong then it is time for the entire world to change.

Fifty five years later I live in a world where I am surrounded by other skeptics. Religion is superstitious nonsense. As the modern world becomes more educated this fact becomes increasingly more obvious. I wasn't the only skeptic in 1961, as it turns out. I was a little ahead of the curve, but the rest of the world is now catching up. I have simply been considering this problem of religious foolishness, specifically Christian foolishness since I live in a country that is predominantly Christian, longer than most people. So I have gotten pretty good at it.
I know, and I have heard it all before, to the point I can almost tell your story myself. What I would like you to do is, to explain how any of what you say above would have any effect at all upon, whether Christianity is true, or not?

My point is, how you have arrived to your conclusions, and what has drove you to these conclusions, has no bearing at all upon whether your conclusions are correct or not. It may be enough for you, but since we are in a debate forum, we need far more than what you have experienced.

Next, what does anything you have to say above, have to do with the FACT that you have had to come up with alternative explanations? Again, this is a debate forum, and has nothing to do with what you have experienced in your past life. I am not those in your past life, and I am not making the same arguments.

The question is, if Christianity is so obviously false, then why bother coming up with alternate explanations, to someone who has not made the same arguments you heard in childhood? Why not simply state that, "Christianity is obviously false, to the point that it does not deserve refutation?"
TON wrote:If you lived in a world where everyone else believed that Santa lives at the north pole, has a team of flying reindeer, and all of the rest of it, would you decide that everyone else must be right, and subscribe to a belief in Santa yourself? Or would you spend the time and energy necessary to explain to the WHOLE WORLD in detail, why they are being foolish? Maybe you are just not that hard headed. But some of us are.
In my view, these types of comments, only ruin ones reputation, and is simply and attempt to insult those one is attempting to debate, and an attempt to keep from dealing with the facts involved.

You see, anyone can make such comments, no matter what the subject matter. But, the fact is, there is a tremendous difference between belief in Santa Claus, which everyone knows is a fictitious character used for the imagination of children, as opposed to Christianity.

Because you see, I do not believe there are very many sites that have been developed in order to debate the truth of Santa Claus, precisely because all know that it is not a serious matter. However, there are many Christian debate sites, on top of the fact that there have been those throughout the centuries, who continue to debate the truth of Christianity, and for one to compare the two, causes those who understand this, not to want to continue the debate with those who do such things.

So then, this could be one of the reasons there are Christians who leave this site, because they would rather not be bothered with those who would make such outrageous, and unfounded claims, because if one truly wants to argue the facts, it becomes frustrating to deal with, such nonsense.

Even if one were to truly believe the two compare to each other, (which I would be willing to wager no one really does, it is more than likely a tactic) they could not demonstrate in any way how they compare, therefore this type of comment has no place in the debate.
TON wrote:All four Gospels indicate that the body of Jesus was taken to a tomb to be washed and prepared, and that this tomb later proved to be empty. Since the four Gospels represent the ONLY source of information concerning the origins of the story of the risen Jesus that anyone considers to be potentially valid, then this is the information I am forced to consider. Some people consider the fact that Paul never mentions the tomb at all to be a reason to discount the story of the tomb. But there is nothing inherently unbelievable about the story of the rich man Joseph having had a new tomb constructed. This was a common practice among those who could afford it because it was common practice among the Jew to bury family members together. All four Gospels mention the tomb, and unless we are going to throw out the entire story, there is no particular reason to question the tomb.
Either, there is reason to believe that what is recorded in the Gospels concerning the empty tomb, or there is not. If one is contending that there is no reason to believe the accounts, then they are under the burden to demonstrate how they must be false.

You however, are arguing, there was an empty tomb, and going on to give us other POSSIBILITIES that may explain the empty tomb. This is perfectly fine, but it does not in any way tell us how the tomb became empty, rather it simply gives us another possible explanation.
TON wrote:Why leave the "gaps" for another time?
Because, as you can see, we have plenty to cover here. So then, it will be better to stay focused on the topic at hand, and we have time, and will eventually be able to get to the rest.
TON wrote:According to Acts 9, while on the road to Damascus Paul became stricken. Acts specifically indicates that at one point Paul went three days without drinking. Whatever the cause, Paul was clearly severely dehydrated and therefore deathly ill. Three days without water is a critical condition. Severe dehydration commonly affects the eyesight, as the vitreous fluid in the eye thickens and sight is diminished, and causes the neurons in the brain to misfire from lack of fluid, inevitably resulting in hallucinations. Among other symptoms, severely dehydrated individuals are routinely "out of their heads."
The first thing that needs to be pointed out here is, I am not the one who is appealing to the Bible, you are! With this being the case, Paul was said to have had the "experience on the road", and then went three days without water. So then, if we are going to appeal to what is recorded in the Bible, then we cannot say that the lack of water could have triggered what is reported to have occurred, which is the hearing of a voice.

It is after this that Paul is said to have went three days without water. So then, it could be argued that Paul suffered from dehydration after the incident, but it would not explain what caused the incident to begin with.

Another thing that must be considered is the fact that, the author here would have been present through much, if not all of the missionary journeys of Paul, and there is very strong internal evidence that this is the case, and this author claims to have witnessed certain miraculous events concerning Paul.

So you see, it is not simply Paul who must be explained, but also the author of "Acts." This author would not have been present to have witnessed the events on the road to Damascus, so then he would not have been a victim of this dehydration.

At any rate, what we have concerning Christianity is, those who were involved in somehow hi-jacking the body, those who were delusional, those who were lying, those who were fooled, those who suffered dehydration to the point they cease the persecution of the movement they once abhorred, to become it's biggest champion, those who wrote under other's names decades after the events, those who copied from another, those who never witnessed the things they record, and all of this, in the face of those who would have surely wanted to put an end to this movement, and would have had every reason to do so.

All of this, and this movement somehow becomes undeniably successful! Now, if all the above, satisfies your mind as far as the origin of Christianity, then I really have no problem with what may satisfy your mind. However, to go on to say, there is no reason to believe the Christian message, in the face of all the above, is certainly, most unreasonable!

Remember, we are not saying it absolutely has, and must be true. Rather, we are simply saying, there are good, and solid reasons to believe, and what I have simply outlined above, would simply be the tip of the iceberg.
TON wrote:But we in the 21st century, in the light of reason and logic, are left to consider whether it is more reasonable to conclude that Paul, in his delirium, and while being tended to and prayed over by a Christian, hallucinated a vision of Jesus. Or, conversely, whether it is reasonable to conclude that it is more likely that Paul actually MET WITH AND CONVERSED WITH A DEAD MAN!
Right, but this would not be all that would need to be considered, because there is a whole lot more! Like, the evidence is overwhelming that Paul was completely opposed to this movement to begin with, so much so he was willing to see those put to death who embraced it.

Paul was steeped in Judaism, and knew the Jewish law as well as any. So then, out of all of those, one would expect to continue to be opposed, Paul would lead the pack. However, not only from his own testimony, but from the testimony of one who followed, and witnessed the life of Paul first hand, this man makes an about face, and becomes the biggest champion of the faith, he was once opposed to.

But at any rate, whether your logic leads you to believe the message of Paul, or whether it leads you to believe that this movement which was doomed to fail from the start, continues to have things like Paul to simply fall into place to somehow keep it going, to the point it is today, none of this would have any sort of impact on whether it would be true, or not.

In other words, I understand that, what one considers to be reasonable, does not necessarily, equal truth. So then, you may consider one thing to be reasonable, while another believes something totally different to be reasonable. Until one side or the other is proven, it is a waste of time to argue which side is more reasonable. It is like two kids on the playground arguing about whose dad, can beat up the other dad.
TON wrote:I notice that which side of this question opinion tends to fall invariably has a very direct correlation to whether or not a person has been programmed from an early age to uncritically accept stories of miracles and flying reanimated corpses, and the like.
Not exactly my friend. There are many people who were brought up to be Christians who have rejected the Faith, and their rejection has no bearing whatsoever upon whether what they have rejected is true, or not. On the other hand, there are also many who were once very much opposed to the Faith, and after they reexamined their beliefs, by using reason, they have now come to believe the Faith they once rejected.

A real good example of the latter would be, Rosaria Champagne Butterfield. Doctor Butterfield was a tenured professor at Syracuse University. She was extremely opposed to Christianity, and was in the process of writing a book on, "The Rise of the Christian Right in America." This was the beginning of her transformation.

I will leave it at that as far as Misses Butterfield is concerned, because her story is readily available, and it is a very intriguing story, to say the least.

At any rate, her transformation, has nothing to do with what the truth actually is, just as what people may have been programmed to believe has no bearing upon the truth, because you see, Misses Butterfield claimed to have been programmed to believe that Christianity was fiction, and was only believed by those who needed something to believe in.

The main point here is, you have brought nothing up thus far, in all of your comments, that demonstrates in any way that Christianity, must, and has to be false. All you have done is to give us, other possibilities, insults, and debate tactics.
TON wrote:And like Paul and the author of Luke, you have no actual direct knowledge of Jesus.
Here is a statement you make as if it were a fact, that you can in no way demonstrate. You cannot demonstrate that Paul had "no actual direct knowledge of Jesus", you can only assume this.

The facts are, the author of Acts claims that Paul had this direct knowledge, and Paul claims this as well. Now it cannot be demonstrated that these reports are true, but neither can it be demonstrated that they are false. Therefore, to claim that Paul had "no direct knowledge of Jesus", would be presumptuous, because it can only be assumed, not proven.
TON wrote:It has become much more difficult to make the story of a corpse that comes back to life and then flies away appear to be reasonable in this day and age, however.
You are absolutely positively right! However again, what you say here, like most of what you have said, would have no bearing whatsoever upon what the actual truth may be. You see, Misses Butterfield thought the same exact way. She could not believe that any reasonable person could actually believe the things recorded in the Bible. And yet here she is, a very reasonable, and well educated person, embracing the Faith she once abhorred, and believed it to be only accepted by unreasonable people.
TON wrote:You begin in a deep hole of unrealistic claims.
Here is another fine example. You may believe the claims are unrealistic, along with the majority of people in the world, but this has no bearing at all as to whether the claims are false, are not.

Here are the facts. It is a fact, that the claims have been made. It is a fact that what you believe to be realistic, has no bearing upon the claims being true are not. This is the way in which a debate forum works. In other words, one who wants to debate, should stick to, and deal with the facts! Opinions have no bearing upon the facts!
TON wrote:Because we no longer live in a world of make believe and superstition.
Here is another example. Here you are clearly claiming the Bible is "make believe and superstition", but have not come close to demonstrating such a thing. You see, I can demonstrate clearly where authors of the Bible ensure that their audience could not make the mistake of comparing what they have wrote to, "make believe and superstition", and that is a fact. It is not a fact that Christianity is "make believe and superstition" that is simply your opinion!

Again, in debate. we need to be able to distinguish between, what is a fact, as opposed to those things that are simply an opinion. Facts matter! Opinions, not so much.
TON wrote:But if you have some valid evidence that Christian claims are necessarily true, then please present it.
This sentence is quite cleaver, and it seems to be bait for those who may not read, or think so carefully. The key word in the sentence of course is "NECESSARILY." If we were to take the word, "NECESSARILY" from the sentence, one such as myself could type for days supplying such evidence.

But, the FACT of the matter is, I have never claimed there was evidence that could demonstrate the claims of Christianity to be "NECESSARILY" true. In FACT, I have never claimed, Christianity is "NECESSARILY" true. What I am proclaiming is, there are many good, and solid reasons to believe the Christian message.

Now the question is to you. If you have some valid evidence that Christians claims are "NECESSARILY" false, then please present it? But, you do not have any such evidence, because if you did, you would have already supplied this evidence.

Oh, and BTW, if you or I could actually present anything at all that would "NECESSARILY" demonstrate our case, it would not be "EVIDENCE", rather it would be "PROOF" at that point.

So then, neither you, nor I have actual proof of what we claim to believe, rather all we have is the evidence, along with the facts. You may have good reasons for what you claim to believe concerning Christianity, but this does not necessarily mean that those opposed to your position, would not have good reasons for their position.
TON wrote:"It's true because my parents said so," or "because everyone I know says so," or "because I feel in in my heart," doesn't really count for anything.
And again, another great example of assumptions! You see, I have never made such arguments. In fact, I have argued this same exact point against other Christians. So you see, it is really a waste of time for you to make such comments, and a waste for me to respond to them.

This is just another example of how one assumes that since they have heard this sort of thing from other Christians, then all Christians must argue in this way, or that they have too. But it would be far better if you would actually attempt to argue against the actual arguments being made.

Another shot in the dark! Another swing and a miss! And another reason why there may be those such as myself, who would rather not continue to waste time with those who want to make their own arguments, and then tear them down.
TON wrote:Hard evidence is all that really matters.
I absolutely agree, and stated as much above,
realworldjack wrote:In other words, one who wants to debate, should stick to, and deal with the facts! Opinions have no bearing upon the facts!
So I am willing to stick to, and deal with only the facts, while leaving opinion out of the equation! But as demonstrated above, there seem to be those who have trouble distinguishing between the two. And again, this sort of thing causes those who are able to distinguish between the two, to not want to continue to waste time with those who seem not to be able too.

As you say, the only thing that matters is the, "hard evidence!" It does not matter what you believe! It does not matter how strongly you believe it! It does not matter how many times you repeat the same things! It does not matter how you have arrived to your beliefs! The only thing that really matters is what the truth actually is. However, it is far better to deal with the facts involved, instead of simply holding on to what it is, you would rather believe!

As I have also said, "I have posted much here, and much here on this site over the years." The challenge for you is to demonstrate where I have failed to deal with the facts. I have demonstrated clearly above, where you seem to have trouble, and here is another example,
TON wrote:And hard evidence indicates that a corpse cannot come back to life and then fly away.
And again, this is not a fact! It is simply your opinion! What is the "hard evidence which would indicate that a corpse cannot come back to life?" Is it the fact that it is, scientifically impossible? Well, there are those of us who realize, that science cannot, and does not have all the answers. In other words, it is a fact that such an event would be scientifically impossible, but science does not posses the ability to tell us, whether a corpse has ever came back to life. It can only tells us, "according to their research, it would be, "scientifically impossible." Again, this would in no way tell us, if a corpse has indeed come back to life, or not.

Would the "hard evidence be, "you, and no one you have ever know has witnessed such a thing? Well again, this would not be, "hard evidence" at all. It may be evidence that would need to be considered along side all the other evidence involved, but this would be a far cry from being, "hard evidence."
TON wrote:That is your hurdle. And I have reason to consider it insurmountable.
I am certain beyond doubt that you have your reasons for rejecting, Christianity. As I have said elsewhere, "I understand unbelief, and I understand there are reasons for unbelief." However, the fact of the matter is, simply because you have reason for your unbelief, does not negate the fact that there is also many good, and solid reasons for belief.

You see, there are those of us who understand this fact, and others who do not. In other words, there are those who seem to believe that since they have used reason to arrive to a certain conclusion, then this somehow must demonstrate that those opposed could not possibly have used reason.

Then there are those of us, who live in the "real world", who understand that those opposed to us, could have very well used reason themselves, and we simply have a disagreement over the facts, and evidence involved.

But here is the fact of the matter. I have not claimed Christianity to be true. I have not condemned, ridiculed, or insulted anyone who may not believe. All I have done is to claim to believe the Christian message, and that there are many good, and solid reasons to believe, and there is a tremendous difference.

You were correct above when you said,
TON wrote:This is a Christian debate forum. "Going through these things" is what we do here.
With this being the case, lets look at the FACTS concerning this site, and Christianity. It is a fact that, no one on this site, no matter which side of the debate they are on, can, nor has proven what it is they claim to believe concerning Christianity. It is a fact that all any of us can do is to attempt to explain what it is we believe, and why we believe as we do.

It is also a fact that there are those on both sides of the debate who seem to believe, that since they believe as they do, then there must be no logical reason for anyone else to be in disagreement, which means those opposed could not possibly have used reason.

As demonstrated above, it is a fact that there are those who seem to have trouble distinguishing between, fact, and opinion, and seem to believe that their opinion somehow equals fact.

With these facts in front of us, it is clear to see that there is plenty of reason to be, "tired of the nonsense" coming from both sides of the equation.

Because I understand these things, I have not claimed Christianity to be true. Rather, all I have done is to claim to believe it, and have given plenty of reasons for my belief while I have been here on this site, and there is a tremendous difference between claiming Christianity to be true, as opposed to claiming to believe that it is true, along with reason.

Now the question to you becomes, are you under the impression that you have proven, and or demonstrated that Christianity must, and has to be false? Your answer to this question will go a long way in determining who exactly is living in a world full of dreams, fiction, and fantasy.