Non Believers Are "Evasive" and "Nervous"

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Non Believers Are "Evasive" and "Nervous"

Post #1

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

I posted this in another string. But it seemed important enough to give it it's own topic.

liamconnor wrote: Is it possible that atheists evade offering a positive alternative historical explanation for Christian origins because it is hard (anyone can doubt something, after all) and they are nervous it might get them trapped: that is, they might have to defend a position which itself might crumble?
You have been a member of this forum for two years now. To insist that non believers are somehow "nervous" or timid or have in some way been evasive in offering an explanation for the origins of Christianity is way past distressing and all the way to psychotic. As in, a complete disassociation from reality. In what way does it seem to you that making these sorts of obviously ridiculous declarations is somehow strengthening your claims? Because to the rest of us they seem nothing short of delusional.

But I will be perfectly happy to take you up on your claim that no one can offer an explanation for the origins of Christianity. The short version is to be found in Matthew 27:62-64.

Matthew 27:
[62] Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
[63] Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
[64] Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.

And there you have it, right in the pages of the Gospels. Because this is EXACTLY what occurred, according to the NT. The body of Jesus disappeared, and a few weeks later his followers began spreading the rumor that he had risen from the dead.

But for a slightly deeper analysis, let's turn to what the Gospels themselves detail.

1) Jesus was crucified and died on the Friday before Passover.
2) The body of Jesus was turned over to his followers (Joseph and Nicodemus) that same day by the Roman governor. (Matt.27:57; John 19:38)
3) The body of Jesus was taken to the personal tomb of Joseph of Arimathea to be washed and prepared because the tomb was conveniently close to the place where Jesus was crucified.(John. 19:42)
4) The body of Jesus was washed according to Jewish tradition, and heavily wrapped and coated with 100 pounds mixture of aloe/myrrh.(John.19:39)
5) The entrance to Joseph's tomb was covered with a large stone and the disciples departed.(Matt.27:60)
6) The Next day (Saturday) the chief Jewish priests asked for and received permission from the Roman governor to place a guard at Joseph's tomb.
7) Finding the tomb entrance closed off by the large stone, and, given the nature of the high holy day, the priests simply placed seals on the closed tomb and set a guard.
8) The next morning (Sunday) Joseph's tomb proved to be empty.

So we are confronted with the obvious conclusion that Joseph's personal tomb was already empty when the priests set the guard. We also notice that the disciples of Jesus were the last individuals to be in clear control of the body.

Now Acts indicates that after being away in Galilee for about forty days, the apostles and other disciples returned to Jerusalem. (Acts 1:3) On the day termed by Christians as the day of Pentecost, the followers of Jesus began spreading the rumor that Jesus had "risen from the dead." Who witnessed the "risen" Jesus? His followers and ONLY his followers. And where was the "risen" man now? He was gone, having lifted bodily up off of the ground and disappeared into the clouds. (Acts 1:9) Who witnessed the "risen" Jesus lift bodily off of the ground and fly up into the sky, disappearing into the clouds? His followers and ONLY his followers.

What did the Jewish priests believe the followers of Jesus intended to do? Relocate the body of Jesus from Joseph's tomb and then spread the rumor that Jesus had risen from the dead. And what happened? The tomb of Joseph proved to be empty and some six weeks later the followers of Jesus began spreading the rumor that Jesus had risen from the dead.

Now, if you still wish to assert that non believers are somehow unable or uncertain about providing an explanation for the origins of Christianity, perhaps you should read the answer that has been provided to you yet again a few dozen more times!

Agreements? Disagreements?
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Willum
Savant

Re: Non Believers Are "Evasive" and "Nervous&

Post #21

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 20 by Realworldjack]

As "insufficient" as you believe them to be - like it or not, personal experience is the only thing anyone has.

Now his personal experience is full of rational thought.

If we could have a religionist say they arrived at their conclusion via logical thought and not something magical or somekind of unprovable.
The question is, if Christianity is so obviously false, then why bother coming up with alternate explanations, to someone who has not made the same arguments you heard in childhood? Why not simply state that, "Christianity is obviously false, to the point that it does not deserve refutation?"
That is all on our debating partners, who insist the miraculous is a better explanation than "anything can be written down on paper." Game of Thrones, The Avengers, The Bible.
In my view, these types of comments, only ruin ones reputation, and is simply and attempt to insult those one is attempting to debate, and an attempt to keep from dealing with the facts involved.
Why should someone believe in Santa?
Why should someone believe in Jesus?

They are both really the same promise. If you believe a magical person will give you a reward?

Because you see, I do not believe there are very many sites that have been developed in order to debate the truth of Santa Claus, precisely because all know that it is not a serious matter
And like all myths of the world, the debate of Christianity will fade into culture as well, and we can investigate bigger problems.
Don't worry though, if God is real, and we are important, he'll send another message.

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #22

Post by Realworldjack »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 20 by Realworldjack]

As "insufficient" as you believe them to be - like it or not, personal experience is the only thing anyone has.

Now his personal experience is full of rational thought.

If we could have a religionist say they arrived at their conclusion via logical thought and not something magical or somekind of unprovable.
The question is, if Christianity is so obviously false, then why bother coming up with alternate explanations, to someone who has not made the same arguments you heard in childhood? Why not simply state that, "Christianity is obviously false, to the point that it does not deserve refutation?"
That is all on our debating partners, who insist the miraculous is a better explanation than "anything can be written down on paper." Game of Thrones, The Avengers, The Bible.
In my view, these types of comments, only ruin ones reputation, and is simply and attempt to insult those one is attempting to debate, and an attempt to keep from dealing with the facts involved.

They are both really the same promise. If you believe a magical person will give you a reward?

Because you see, I do not believe there are very many sites that have been developed in order to debate the truth of Santa Claus, precisely because all know that it is not a serious matter

And like all myths of the world, the debate of Christianity will fade into culture as well, and we can investigate bigger problems.
Don't worry though, if God is real, and we are important, he'll send another message.

Willum wrote:As "insufficient" as you believe them to be - like it or not, personal experience is the only thing anyone has.
No, that is not all one has! We all have "personal experiences" but it is not all one has, because we have facts, along with evidence to base a conclusion upon. I base no stock at all upon my "personal experiences" because I realize they have no bearing at all upon what the facts, evidence, and truth may be.
Willum wrote:Now his personal experience is full of rational thought.
As opposed to what? Is this to say that there are no Christians who are able to apply "rational thought" to their "personal experiences", and it is only those with whom you agree that posses this ability?
Willum wrote:If we could have a religionist say they arrived at their conclusion via logical thought and not something magical or somekind of unprovable.
Well here I am, and I have been on this site for some years now, and I have never referred to anything at all that was magical, or not provable, when speaking of what I believe, or why I believe it. I am not alone, if you read the whole post then you surely seen my reference to Misses Butterfeild. Would you care to challenge the way in which she arrived to her conclusion? I'll be waiting!
Wiilum wrote:That is all on our debating partners, who insist the miraculous is a better explanation than "anything can be written down on paper.
What "debating partners" are you speaking of? At this point it is only me. So where have I stated, "the miraculous is a better explanation than "anything can be written down on paper?" I have not!

Is this simply an assumption on your part? Or, is this simply another example of one who makes their own arguments, and then tears them down? We need to stick to the facts, thus far you are not faring so well!
Willum wrote:Why should someone believe in Santa?

These sort of comparisons, surely demonstrate the mentality of those who make them. It demonstrates clearly that they have no idea exactly what the Bible is. Do you realize the authors of the NT had no idea of what is called the Bible, and also had no idea that the letter they were writing would be read by anyone other than their intended audience? It is extremely easy to make such comparisons. It is far more difficult to actually think through those comparisons.

Would you actually like to think through these comparisons together, to understand how really different they are? Or, are you satisfied to be able to make such unwarranted comparisons, in order to avoid having to really think?
Willum wrote:And like all myths of the world,
Well, here is another example of a statement made as a fact, that has not been demonstrated to be a fact! Unless of course you would like to demonstrate, and prove that Christianity is a myth? But you cannot. Therefore, your statement made as a fact, is simply your opinion.

Good grief! It is not wise to accuse "religionist" of arriving to their conclusion via the "unprovable", and then go on to do the same thing yourself!

Willum
Savant

Post #23

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 22 by Realworldjack]

I've hit a nerve. I appreciate that. I don't want to futrther inflame you so, I'll keep it succinct.
As opposed to what? Is this to say that there are no Christians who are able to apply "rational thought" to their "personal experiences", and it is only those with whom you agree that posses this ability?
You have said it, not I.

Say you read a book by a great historian, HG Wells, maybe.
YOU read it, you interpret it.
The universe comes at you from your senses and your senses alone. It may disappoint you to know that two, three, indeed many many people can perceive the same facts, and then describe them very differently.

Sorry to disappoint. I thought this was something folks realized when they were teen-agers.
I am going to deny that I have made any unwarranted claims, and leave it there.

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #24

Post by Realworldjack »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 22 by Realworldjack]

I've hit a nerve. I appreciate that. I don't want to futrther inflame you so, I'll keep it succinct.
You have said it, not I.

Say you read a book by a great historian, HG Wells, maybe.
The universe comes at you from your senses and your senses alone. It may disappoint you to know that two, three, indeed many many people can perceive the same facts, and then describe them very differently.

Sorry to disappoint. I thought this was something folks realized when they were teen-agers.
I am going to deny that I have made any unwarranted claims, and leave it there.
Willum wrote:I've hit a nerve.
Another assumption that is not based upon fact. Simply because I point out your assumptions, does not mean you have hit a nerve. I am fine!

I asked,
realworldjack wrote:As opposed to what? Is this to say that there are no Christians who are able to apply "rational thought" to their "personal experiences", and it is only those with whom you agree that posses this ability?
Your response,
Willum wrote:You have said it, not I.
Do you notice the "question marks?" This means, this is not something I have said, rather it is a question to you, which you seem to have avoided in a way, so I cannot really respond to, "you have said it not I." It seems as if there are those who like to be able to make comments, and not have to back up those comments?
Willum wrote:Say you read a book by a great historian, HG Wells, maybe.
This is so, so funny! LOL! So then what you are basically saying is, you can read............... oh, I don't know......lets say the Bible, and you can come away from it believing a certain way, but then there can be others who come away with a totally different meaning and, or interpretation, and it cannot be helped, because we all have these different senses that inform us from the outside, so that we could not believe differently if we wanted too?

If this is the case then, there is no need in attempting to debate these things, because people really cannot help what they believe.

But allow me to share with you the FACTS, my friend! If I were to author something, it really would not matter in the least how you, or anyone else were to perceive, interpret, or sense, the content, the only thing that would matter is what I intended. In other words, if you were to interpret what I have said, in any other way than the way I intend, then you would be wrong!

As an example, if you were to pick up a letter addressed to your wife that said, "all those who arrive to work on time tomorrow, will receive a one hundred dollar cash award", and you were to "perceive, interpret, or sense" that this would apply to you, then you would be sadly disappointed when you arrived to work on time the next day.

The point is, it really does not matter how you "perceive, interpret, or what you may sense." In the end the only thing that matters is, what is the truth. This means, if we both read the same exact thing, and come to completely different conclusions, then by necessity, one, or the both of us are wrong, UNLESS of course it is some sort of art, such as poetry!
Willum wrote:Sorry to disappoint. I thought this was something folks realized when they were teen-agers.
I am not disappointed in the least, but there are those who should be! That would be those who believe that we can all interpret, perceive, or sense things differently, and it is all just fine. But again the FACTS are, if we interpret things differently then, one, or the both of us are wrong, which I would have hoped people would have learned as teenagers since we were graded on right, verse wrong answers, concerning things we read.
Willum wrote:I am going to deny that I have made any unwarranted claims, and leave it there.
Of course you are, and I would not have expected anything different, which was exactly my point! Because there are those who simply love to make talking points, that they do not really want to defend, rather they "perceive, or sense" that they should be allowed to simply, "leave it there."

But again the FACTS! We will leave it at the point of where I have demonstrated that you have made "unwarranted claims", and all you do is, deny!

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #25

[Replying to post 20 by Realworldjack]
Realworldjack wrote: I know, and I have heard it all before, to the point I can almost tell your story myself. What I would like you to do is, to explain how any of what you say above would have any effect at all upon, whether Christianity is true, or not?
How do we reach the conclusion that anything is true or not? As it so happens we are currently finding the entire concept of "truth" under attack. The president currently labels any news story that he does not like to be "false news," no matter how well documented the facts appear to be. And we live in an era of video shot as the events or the testimony is occurring. So how are we supposed to come to reasonable conclusions concerning things which may, or may not, have occurred thousands of years ago?

In any discussion or debate we have only the tools of reason, logic and facts to be used as a method for getting at the truth of any claim. We therefore have every right and reason to be suspicious of a claim that a corpse came back to life and flew away, or that hordes of dead people came up out of their graves and wandered the streets of Jerusalem. When we couple the nature of these claims with the fact that these "events' went entirely unrecorded by anyone at the time they were supposed to have occurred, and that the details of these claims are only to be found in anonymously authored accounts written decades after the "events" themselves were supposed to have occurred, we then are left with every genuine reason to suppose that these claims are bogus, that these events never in fact occurred, and that claims of such occurrences are nothing more than the fertile product of the human imagination.

But of course God can do anything. Once this declaration has been made these admittedly unrealistic claims are suddenly fully explainable. Based on that premise however, Santa and his team of flying reindeer are fully explainable. If God can do anything, then it is perfectly reasonable to claim that Oz is a real place, and the Harry Potter books are true stories. Because once one has taken the step of declaring that anything is possible because that is what they choose to believe, then there is no distinction between physical reality and make believe.

How do we know that Christianity is true or not? Because the core of Christian beliefs are based on claims that are silly. Claims which contradict all reason and logic. Claims which can easily be explained as perfectly natural occurrences derived from the mundane actions of humans for mundane human purposes. And that is about as close to proving a thing is or is not true as fallible humans can come to ascertaining the truth.

Silly; adjective,
1. weak-minded or lacking good sense; stupid or foolish:
2. absurd; ridiculous; irrational:

Believing that a corpse came back to life and flew away is silly in the same way that believing that reindeer can fly is silly. But of course if your recourse to explaining these things is by claiming supernatural intervention, or magic, then "Once upon a time," becomes an historical account.
Realworldjack wrote: My point is, how you have arrived to your conclusions, and what has drove you to these conclusions, has no bearing at all upon whether your conclusions are correct or not. It may be enough for you, but since we are in a debate forum, we need far more than what you have experienced.
My conclusion is that things which defy all common observation, common experience, and therefore all common sense, are silly by definition. Things which are too silly to be true are invariably NOT TRUE. And I can see that, even by looking at the claims which are provided by the NT, it is possible to recognize a perfectly natural explanation for it all. We live in a world where natural explanations are the norm, and genuine supernatural explanations can in fact never actually be established. However, such is the nature of make believe, and the power of a lifetime of indoctrination, that even into the 21st century make believe still manages to impose unsophisticated beliefs on otherwise sophisticated minds. Although that is rapidly becoming less and less true.

Some of the most brilliant minds in history were also very religious. Because religion and supernatural intervention once seemed to be the only solution to questions of existence and the operation of the universe. This is no longer true however. Unsophisticated beliefs do not stand up to sophisticated scientific observation. If it makes you feel any better, I am convinced that the truth will prevail. But that may or may not ultimately go in your favor. If observational truth continuously proves to be NOT what you prefer to believe, can you accept that? Or would you rather die wrapped in your comforting cocoon of illusion?
Realworldjack wrote: Next, what does anything you have to say above, have to do with the FACT that you have had to come up with alternative explanations? Again, this is a debate forum, and has nothing to do with what you have experienced in your past life. I am not those in your past life, and I am not making the same arguments.
I concluded that the explanation for existence that I was provided with as a child was obviously nonsense. So I have taken an interest in discovering an explanation that actually makes sense. You may not agree with the conclusions I have reached, but I am NOT the product of any specific indoctrination. I have spent a lifetime sorting through the various possibilities. The conclusions I have reached are entirely my own. And unlike the indoctrinated, I fully understand why I have reached the conclusions that I have. Because they are my own conclusions I am fully capable and prepared to defend them in great detail. As opposed to believers who join the forum armed with the "truth" their indoctrination has established for them, only to see their assumptions effortlessly quashed by those who have taken the time and effort to learn all the facts, and who have reached conclusions all on their own. I am sure you have observed many times yourself at this point, Christian newbies expounding on exactly the same doctrinaire assumptions and assertions which you already know that the non believers on the forum are just waiting to pounce on and eviscerate.

Realworldjack wrote: Next, what does anything you have to say above, have to do with the FACT that you have had to come up with alternative explanations? Again, this is a debate forum, and has nothing to do with what you have experienced in your past life. I am not those in your past life, and I am not making the same arguments.
You are STUCK with making the same arguments. Because you are stuck with the same "book of revealed truth" that all Christians are saddled with. Your "book of revealed truth" is the product of the thought processes and beliefs of ancient ignorant iron age people. Quite naturally it does not hold up to modern knowledge and observation. But you are STUCK with it. And as modern knowledge and observation continues to expand, your "book of revealed truth" will inevitably become more obviously arcane and insupportable. Committed believers will hang on to their arcane "book of revealed truth" to their dying day. But the upcoming generation is walking away from the beliefs of their parents in growing numbers. Because they are reaching the same conclusion that I reached when I was 13. These ancient iron age beliefs are too silly to be true.

My prediction is that by the end of this century belief in christianity will be something akin to believing in Zeus, or Odin. It will be a product of the past. The challenge is going to be in bringing the Muslim world into the increasingly religiously skeptical late 21st and 22nd century. On the one hand there are fledgling Muslim atheist groups. But being raised Muslim and becoming openly atheist currently means taking one's life in one's hands. Religious beliefs will not die without a great deal of violence I am afraid.
Realworldjack wrote: The question is, if Christianity is so obviously false, then why bother coming up with alternate explanations, to someone who has not made the same arguments you heard in childhood? Why not simply state that, "Christianity is obviously false, to the point that it does not deserve refutation?"
While this may be an accurate statement, beliefs can only be changed on a point by point basis. Your beliefs might not be allowed to change, but your children or your children's children will make up their own minds. Christians have currently undertaken a process of declaring that evolution is not only a "failed theory," but that it has largely been discarded by science. This is not only NOT true, it is delusional. Evolution can be defended on a point by point basis. And should be. Religious beliefs can be discounted and eviscerated on a point by point basis. And should be.
Realworldjack wrote: In my view, these types of comments, only ruin one's reputation, and is simply and attempt to insult those one is attempting to debate, and an attempt to keep from dealing with the facts involved.
If I am ruining my reputation then that is the direction I choose to take my ruined reputation in. I can only say that if you find that statement to be insulting, then it must be because you see how it applies to you. On the one hand it is never my intention to be needlessly insulting. On the other hand I do expect that the things that I say will resonate with others. And of course the nature of debate is the nature of expressing ones views.
Realworldjack wrote: You see, anyone can make such comments, no matter what the subject matter. But, the fact is, there is a tremendous difference between belief in Santa Claus, which everyone knows is a fictitious character used for the imagination of children, as opposed to Christianity.
If many people actually believed that Santa actually exists and that the rest of the story is true as well, in what way would that change what is true? Or to put it another way, does belief in Islam change what is true? What about belief in Mormonism? Both of these beliefs are based, to some degree at least, on Abrahamic beliefs. So what about the belief of Hinduism? Do the hundreds of Hindu Gods actually exist because a half a billion Hindus believe that it is so, or are the hundreds of Hindu Gods simply fictitious because you "know" them to be fictitious. How much difference is there REALLY between the story of a team of flying reindeer, the story of the flying reanimated corpse of Jesus, and the flying Hindu monkey god Hanuman?
http://www.lotussculpture.com/hindugodhanuman.html
Realworldjack wrote: Because you see, I do not believe there are very many sites that have been developed in order to debate the truth of Santa Claus, precisely because all know that it is not a serious matter. However, there are many Christian debate sites, on top of the fact that there have been those throughout the centuries, who continue to debate the truth of Christianity, and for one to compare the two, causes those who understand this, not to want to continue the debate with those who do such things.
There are many sites devoted to Hinduism. Does that fact affect reality?
Realworldjack wrote: So then, this could be one of the reasons there are Christians who leave this site, because they would rather not be bothered with those who would make such outrageous, and unfounded claims, because if one truly wants to argue the facts, it becomes frustrating to deal with, such nonsense.
nonsense [non-sens, -suh ns]
noun
1. words or language having little or no sense or meaning.
2. conduct, action, etc., that is senseless, foolish, or absurd:

I suppose the reason Joseph of Arimathea's tomb proved to be empty was because, being his personal family tomb, it was never intended to be the final burial site of Jesus, who was a non family member. Joseph's tomb was simply used as a convenient place to wash and prepare the The body of Jesus. Which was then relocated to another permanent site. The story of the "risen" Jesus was simply a false rumor spread by the followers of Jesus in an attempt to restore his name.

You suppose that the reason Joseph's tomb proved to be empty was because the corpse of Jesus returned to life, left the tomb of it's own volition, and ultimately flew off up into the sky and disappeared.

Which supposition ACTUALLY most closely conforms to the dictionary definition of "nonsense?"

Realworldjack wrote: Even if one were to truly believe the two compare to each other, (which I would be willing to wager no one really does, it is more than likely a tactic) they could not demonstrate in any way how they compare, therefore this type of comment has no place in the debate.
If people DID choose to believe that the story of Santa is valid, I would happily now be presenting them with all of the reasons why such a belief is nonsense. And that is EXACTLY why such a comparison has a place in this debate. Or we could argue the truth of the belief in the Hindu God Lord Hanuman - The Monkey God, if you wish. That particular belief has the backing of a half billion Hindus. Which apparently, according to you, gives it validity.
Realworldjack wrote: Either, there is reason to believe that what is recorded in the Gospels concerning the empty tomb, or there is not. If one is contending that there is no reason to believe the accounts, then they are under the burden to demonstrate how they must be false.
And I have done that quite extensively. I look at the question from a different perspective than some others. Since there is nothing inherently unbelievable about an empty grave and missing body, I see no reason to discount the story outright. It might be true, and it might not.

Realworldjack wrote: You however, are arguing, there was an empty tomb, and going on to give us other POSSIBILITIES that may explain the empty tomb. This is perfectly fine, but it does not in any way tell us how the tomb became empty, rather it simply gives us another possible explanation.
I have simply pointed out that the empty tomb story is easily explainable naturally, without recourse to a supernatural explanation. It is an explanation that is right there in Gospel Matthew 27.

[64] Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.

The chief priests, who were after all there at the time, thought that a plot existed among Jesus' followers to relocate the body. Jesus' followers were in fact already in possession of the body of Jesus.

A natural explanation is ever so much more likely to be true than a supernatural explanation is. In fact, if a natural explanation is apparent, a supernatural explanation has no obvious standing whatsoever.
Realworldjack wrote: The first thing that needs to be pointed out here is, I am not the one who is appealing to the Bible, you are!
I am appealing to the NT, because the NT is the only source that anyone considers to be potentially valid. If we exclude the NT, we have no explanation at all for why Christianity suddenly appeared in the first century AD. And we can see within the pages of the NT, potentially at least, how Christianity originated. We are not left with the unavoidable conclusion that the laws of reality changed for a brief time during the first century AD for some reason.

Realworldjack wrote: With this being the case, Paul was said to have had the "experience on the road", and then went three days without water. So then, if we are going to appeal to what is recorded in the Bible, then we cannot say that the lack of water could have triggered what is reported to have occurred, which is the hearing of a voice.

It is after this that Paul is said to have went three days without water. So then, it could be argued that Paul suffered from dehydration after the incident, but it would not explain what caused the incident to begin with.
Paul was not "said" to have experienced these thing while on the road to Damascus. The only one who reported any of this was Paul, after his recovery, years later. This is Paul's version of events. But Paul was the afflicted man. Paul was the one who was blind and disoriented at the time.

Paul does not indicate what actually caused his infirmity because he likely did not understand it himself. The first and most obvious possibility is that he was suffering from heat stroke. Paul certainly has all of the symptoms of heat stroke. Dysentery is also a possibility. People with dysentery commonly die of dehydration, because they cannot retain water. There is also a condition known as dysphagia, in which the muscles of the throat become paralyzed, causing the person to lose the ability to eat or drink. One of the causes of dysphagia is brain damage caused by a stroke.

But this was Paul's experience, and the story that has come down to us Paul's version of what he believed he experienced after he had recovered. But you see Paul was the afflicted man.
Realworldjack wrote: Another thing that must be considered is the fact that, the author here would have been present through much, if not all of the missionary journeys of Paul, and there is very strong internal evidence that this is the case, and this author claims to have witnessed certain miraculous events concerning Paul.
I do not deny that the author of Acts was a follower of Paul. What portion of the story of Acts the author of Acts may have personally experienced himself, if any, cannot be determined.
Realworldjack wrote: So you see, it is not simply Paul who must be explained, but also the author of "Acts." This author would not have been present to have witnessed the events on the road to Damascus, so then he would not have been a victim of this dehydration.
EXACTLY TRUE! The story of Paul's troubles while traveling to Damascus are entirely based on what Paul believed happened to him after he had recovered. BUT PAUL WAS THE AFFLICTED MAN. No one who has gone three days without water in a desert climate can be expected to be in their right mind. They can, however, expect to be delusional.
Realworldjack wrote: At any rate, what we have concerning Christianity is, those who were involved in somehow hi-jacking the body, those who were delusional, those who were lying, those who were fooled, those who suffered dehydration to the point they cease the persecution of the movement they once abhorred, to become it's biggest champion, those who wrote under other's names decades after the events, those who copied from another, those who never witnessed the things they record, and all of this, in the face of those who would have surely wanted to put an end to this movement, and would have had every reason to do so.
No one had to "hi-jack" the body of Jesus. The body was given to his followers by the Roman governor, and the followers had every right to inter the body wherever they chose. That the body was not later found in Joseph's personal private family tomb leads us to the natural conclusion that Joseph's personal family tomb was never intended to be the final resting place for Jesus.
Realworldjack wrote: All of this, and this movement somehow becomes undeniably successful! Now, if all the above, satisfies your mind as far as the origin of Christianity, then I really have no problem with what may satisfy your mind. However, to go on to say, there is no reason to believe the Christian message, in the face of all the above, is certainly, most unreasonable!
This is actually the best argument in favor of Christianity. It might be a more viable argument if we did not see exactly the same thing repeating itself with the rise of Islam. Currently, and seemingly against all odds, the same thing seems to be occurring with Mormonism. Religious beliefs come, and religious beliefs go. Many overnight. And some few grow into mighty beliefs held by millions. Against all odds.

There is also the explanation that the religion that Paul brought to the Hellenic gentiles was constructed in such a way as to conform to preexisting beliefs that were already in place throughout the Mediterranean region. But that explanation is long and this response is already going to be a long one. I will provide this more detailed explanation if you really want it. The existence of Islam actually answers your question concerning how a religion held in devoting by million could possibility be based on that which is not true.

abilities of the religion in question to grow and prosper, and the conditions that existed naturally at the time.
Realworldjack wrote: Remember, we are not saying it absolutely has, and must be true. Rather, we are simply saying, there are good, and solid reasons to believe, and what I have simply outlined above, would simply be the tip of the iceberg.
Could I be wrong in my evaluation? Of course. Is the "true" answer likely to be a supernatural one? Well, no that is NOT likely.
Realworldjack wrote: Right, but this would not be all that would need to be considered, because there is a whole lot more! Like, the evidence is overwhelming that Paul was completely opposed to this movement to begin with, so much so he was willing to see those put to death who embraced it.
Paul became a true believer, this is undeniably true. Given that Paul was deathly ill, delusional and delirious (unavoidable effects from being deeply dehydrated), and having his life saved by a Christian man who prayed over him in the name of Jesus until he recuperated, there is little surprise that Paul became a confirmed Christian after his recovery.
Realworldjack wrote: Paul was steeped in Judaism, and knew the Jewish law as well as any. So then, out of all of those, one would expect to continue to be opposed, Paul would lead the pack. However, not only from his own testimony, but from the testimony of one who followed, and witnessed the life of Paul first hand, this man makes an about face, and becomes the biggest champion of the faith, he was once opposed to.
Paul underwent a life changing experience while on his way to Damascus. This does not lead us to the unavoidable conclusion that he actually had a face to face meeting with the years dead Jesus.
Realworldjack wrote: But at any rate, whether your logic leads you to believe the message of Paul, or whether it leads you to believe that this movement which was doomed to fail from the start, continues to have things like Paul to simply fall into place to somehow keep it going, to the point it is today, none of this would have any sort of impact on whether it would be true, or not.
Most fledgling religious movements fail. But some succeed. Christianity, along with Islam, are the most prominent examples of improbable successes.
Realworldjack wrote: In other words, I understand that, what one considers to be reasonable, does not necessarily, equal truth. So then, you may consider one thing to be reasonable, while another believes something totally different to be reasonable. Until one side or the other is proven, it is a waste of time to argue which side is more reasonable. It is like two kids on the playground arguing about whose dad, can beat up the other dad.
You are trying to convince yourself and all of the rest of us that just because a claim happens to conform very closely to nonsense, does not necessarily "prove" that it is nonsense. But you see, a claim that conforms very closely to nonsense does necessarily need a significant amount of hard evidence before it should reasonably even begin to be taken seriously. Christian claims on the other hand can rather easily be explained as unfounded assumptions, baseless assertions, insupportable traditions, and just plain old wishful thinking.
Realworldjack wrote: Not exactly my friend. There are many people who were brought up to be Christians who have rejected the Faith, and their rejection has no bearing whatsoever upon whether what they have rejected is true, or not. On the other hand, there are also many who were once very much opposed to the Faith, and after they reexamined their beliefs, by using reason, they have now come to believe the Faith they once rejected.
Perhaps you missed my point. People who are inclined to believe in unbelievable claims overwhelmingly tend to be people who were raised to believe in very specific unbelievable claims. A person who was raised to believe in Christianity, who then became skeptical for a time, but later returned to their Christian beliefs, was a person who was raised to believe in Christianity from the beginning. So a person who was raised to be a Christian and to believe that Jesus returned to life and then subsequently flew away, is much more easily convinced of that story than say, a Christian who has been told that Muhammad once flew up to heaven on a flying steed named al-Baraq is going to easily be convinced of that story.
Realworldjack wrote: A real good example of the latter would be, Rosaria Champagne Butterfield. Doctor Butterfield was a tenured professor at Syracuse University. She was extremely opposed to Christianity, and was in the process of writing a book on, "The Rise of the Christian Right in America." This was the beginning of her transformation.

I will leave it at that as far as Misses Butterfield is concerned, because her story is readily available, and it is a very intriguing story, to say the least.

Conversations with Rosaria
"I came to Christ in 1999. I broke up with my lesbian partner because I was convicted of my sin, but my heart was a mess. I never called my partner my wife because I had rejected all things “heteronormative.� I —and others of my generation—dismissed the idea that we were “born this way.� Instead, I believed that my lesbian sexuality was a cleaner and more moral choice.'"

"I cried out to God to help me understand how this could be—how I could see my own lesbian appetite and identity as something that degraded me and made me a beast, but at the same time see others in the lesbian community and their happy and stable households in a completely different way. I asked God to let me come face-to-face with His Word on this. This prayer brought me to the gospels and the disciples and the holy love they had for the Lord Jesus and for each other. This was real love. This love didn’t cause others to sin. This love so cherished God and the person you love that you sacrifice all unholy desires that could separate your lover from the God who made her."
http://rosariabutterfield.com/frequentl ... questions/

I could find no information on Rosaria Butterfield's childhood. That she felt guilt over her lesbian lifestyle leads me to the supposition that she was raised in the Christian faith. It is very difficult to overcome one's lifetime of programming.
Realworldjack wrote: At any rate, her transformation, has nothing to do with what the truth actually is, just as what people may have been programmed to believe has no bearing upon the truth, because you see, Misses Butterfield claimed to have been programmed to believe that Christianity was fiction, and was only believed by those who needed something to believe in.
Presumably this occurred after she was grown, by those wicked old lesbians. My experience with hard core lesbians is that they can be quite obnoxious and difficult to be around. But they have every right to choose their own lifestyle.
Realworldjack wrote: The main point here is, you have brought nothing up thus far, in all of your comments, that demonstrates in any way that Christianity, must, and has to be false. All you have done is to give us, other possibilities, insults, and debate tactics.
I bluntly say what I mean. It is not intended as a tactic or to be unnecessarily rude.
Realworldjack wrote: Here is a statement you make as if it were a fact, that you can in no way demonstrate. You cannot demonstrate that Paul had "no actual direct knowledge of Jesus", you can only assume this.
1Cor:
[8] And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
[9] For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
[10] But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

By Paul's own admission he was an apostle "born of due time," and not as a result of being one of the 12. Paul's claim to authority is his assertion that he spoke with Jesus years after Jesus was executed. Years after the other apostles claimed that Jesus ascended to heaven, and as a result of his delusional state while deathly ill due to dehydration.

I am a fan of Abraham Lincoln. I have read a lot about lincoln. But I have no direct knowledge of Lincoln.
Realworldjack wrote: The facts are, the author of Acts claims that Paul had this direct knowledge, and Paul claims this as well. Now it cannot be demonstrated that these reports are true, but neither can it be demonstrated that they are false. Therefore, to claim that Paul had "no direct knowledge of Jesus", would be presumptuous, because it can only be assumed, not proven.
Paul believed that he had direct knowledge of Jesus. That is because Paul believed that he saw and spoke to dead people.
Realworldjack wrote: Here is another fine example. You may believe the claims are unrealistic, along with the majority of people in the world, but this has no bearing at all as to whether the claims are false, are not.
Like it or not, claims that a corpse came back to life and flew away, or that hordes of dead people came up out of their graves, are unrealistic. Believing them to be true does not serve to make them realistic. Asserting that such claims are not unrealistic, when clearly they are, does not serve to help your credibility either.

unrealistic
adjective un·re·al·is·tic \ˌən-ˌrē-ə-ˈli-stik\
not realistic : inappropriate to reality or fact

Realworldjack wrote: Here are the facts. It is a fact, that the claims have been made. It is a fact that what you believe to be realistic, has no bearing upon the claims being true are not. This is the way in which a debate forum works. In other words, one who wants to debate, should stick to, and deal with the facts! Opinions have no bearing upon the facts!
Only evidence has a bearing on the facts. All common observation and experience has established that a corpse will not come back to life and then fly away. You have no evidence that such a thing has ever happened. You only have some few unverifiable and unrealistic claims. That is what I meant that you begin in a deep hole of unrealistic claims. The task before you is to establish that such claims are, at the very minimum, plausible. That would at least bring to to even. But you can't do it.
Realworldjack wrote: Here is another example. Here you are clearly claiming the Bible is "make believe and superstition", but have not come close to demonstrating such a thing. You see, I can demonstrate clearly where authors of the Bible ensure that their audience could not make the mistake of comparing what they have wrote to, "make believe and superstition", and that is a fact. It is not a fact that Christianity is "make believe and superstition" that is simply your opinion!

Again, in debate. we need to be able to distinguish between, what is a fact, as opposed to those things that are simply an opinion. Facts matter! Opinions, not so much.
I am not suggesting that the authors of the Bible didn't fully believe their make believe and superstition themselves. Nor am I suggesting that the audience the Bible was written for didn't believe in their system of make believe and superstition. I am suggesting that these were iron age peasants who had only the tiniest fraction of the knowledge that we possess today. They were not less intelligent than we are today, but they were drastically less well informed about the functioning of the universe.

So, where they believed that God created the earth before the stars, we know today that the universe is actually billions of years older than the earth. And that is simply a well known scientific "fact." To subscribe to the notion that the earth was created before the rest of the universe, is to subscribe to the make believe and superstition of ancient iron age peasants. Like believing that the earth is a circle covered by a curtain. Or that the earth once stopped turning for about 24 hours. Belief in such things requires stepping backwards into ancient ignorance.

TotN wrote:
"It's true because my parents said so," or "because everyone I know says so," or "because I feel in in my heart," doesn't really count for anything.
Realworldjack wrote: And again, another great example of assumptions! You see, I have never made such arguments. In fact, I have argued this same exact point against other Christians. So you see, it is really a waste of time for you to make such comments, and a waste for me to respond to them.

This is just another example of how one assumes that since they have heard this sort of thing from other Christians, then all Christians must argue in this way, or that they have too. But it would be far better if you would actually attempt to argue against the actual arguments being made.

Another shot in the dark! Another swing and a miss! And another reason why there may be those such as myself, who would rather not continue to waste time with those who want to make their own arguments, and then tear them down.
Parents all over the world have told their children a variety of competing and often contradictory things about the nature of existence. And people all over the world are certain that their beliefs are true because they feel it in their heart that is is so. And at the end of the day we have hundreds of millions of competing beliefs and competing heartfelt declarations. My great "example of an assumption" is simply to recognize that all of these competing beliefs cannot possibly be true. They could certainly ALL be untrue, however.
Realworldjack wrote: So I am willing to stick to, and deal with only the facts, while leaving opinion out of the equation! But as demonstrated above, there seem to be those who have trouble distinguishing between the two. And again, this sort of thing causes those who are able to distinguish between the two, to not want to continue to waste time with those who seem not to be able too.

As you say, the only thing that matters is the, "hard evidence!" It does not matter what you believe! It does not matter how strongly you believe it! It does not matter how many times you repeat the same things! It does not matter how you have arrived to your beliefs! The only thing that really matters is what the truth actually is. However, it is far better to deal with the facts involved, instead of simply holding on to what it is, you would rather believe!
Facts are my forte. But I am willing to consider yours. Lay out the facts that indicate that Joseph's tomb could not possibly have been empty because Joseph chose to bury the body of Jesus someplace other than his new family crypt, and that the origin of the story of the risen Jesus was not the result of the followers of Jesus spreading that very rumor.

Realworldjack wrote: As I have also said, "I have posted much here, and much here on this site over the years." The challenge for you is to demonstrate where I have failed to deal with the facts. I have demonstrated clearly above, where you seem to have trouble, and here is another example,
TotN wrote:
And hard evidence indicates that a corpse cannot come back to life and then fly away.

This is a fact as surely a the word "fact" has any meaning.

fact [fakt]
noun
1. something that actually exists; reality; truth:
2. something known to exist or to have happened:
3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known
Realworldjack wrote: And again, this is not a fact! It is simply your opinion! What is the "hard evidence which would indicate that a corpse cannot come back to life?" Is it the fact that it is, scientifically impossible? Well, there are those of us who realize, that science cannot, and does not have all the answers. In other words, it is a fact that such an event would be scientifically impossible, but science does not posses the ability to tell us, whether a corpse has ever came back to life. It can only tells us, "according to their research, it would be, "scientifically impossible." Again, this would in no way tell us, if a corpse has indeed come back to life, or not.
Hard evidence that a corpse cannot come back to life and fly away would be found in the form of the entire observation and experience of humankind throughout history.
Realworldjack wrote: Would the "hard evidence be, "you, and no one you have ever know has witnessed such a thing? Well again, this would not be, "hard evidence" at all. It may be evidence that would need to be considered along side all the other evidence involved, but this would be a far cry from being, "hard evidence."
Throw in medical science concerning the things that corpses are capable of, and the laws of physics concerning the flight capabilities of dead humans, are we are beginning to close in on the meaning of "hard evidence," and "fact."
Realworldjack wrote: I am certain beyond doubt that you have your reasons for rejecting, Christianity.
I reject religion and superstitious make believe across the board. Christianity simply fits into that category.
Realworldjack wrote: It is a fact that, no one on this site, no matter which side of the debate they are on, can, nor has proven what it is they claim to believe concerning Christianity. It is a fact that all any of us can do is to attempt to explain what it is we believe, and why we believe as we do.

It is also a fact that there are those on both sides of the debate who seem to believe, that since they believe as they do, then there must be no logical reason for anyone else to be in disagreement, which means those opposed could not possibly have used reason.

As demonstrated above, it is a fact that there are those who seem to have trouble distinguishing between, fact, and opinion, and seem to believe that their opinion somehow equals fact.

With these facts in front of us, it is clear to see that there is plenty of reason to be, "tired of the nonsense" coming from both sides of the equation.

Because I understand these things, I have not claimed Christianity to be true. Rather, all I have done is to claim to believe it, and have given plenty of reasons for my belief while I have been here on this site, and there is a tremendous difference between claiming Christianity to be true, as opposed to claiming to believe that it is true, along with reason.

Now the question to you becomes, are you under the impression that you have proven, and or demonstrated that Christianity must, and has to be false? Your answer to this question will go a long way in determining who exactly is living in a world full of dreams, fiction, and fantasy.
The non believers on this forum have debunked religion about as thoroughly as it can be debunked. Proof is, after all, to be found in the physical evidence. The physical evidence
supports none of the claims made by the religious. What cannot be proven I suppose, is whether or not the concept of proof is ultimately achievable. I suspect there will never be an "aw haw" moment, when religion is finally and undeniably debunked. What will happen is that science will continue to erode religious beliefs until there is no place left for religion to claim for it's own. At some point religious beliefs will simply evaporate without a whimper.

Thank you for responding. Because you don't always respond. You must admit, not responding does give the impression that one is unable to defend their beliefs. And I do enjoy these long indepth discussions.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #26

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to post 25 by Tired of the Nonsense]

TON wrote:Thank you for responding. Because you don't always respond. You must admit, not responding does give the impression that one is unable to defend their beliefs. And I do enjoy these long indepth discussions.
The fact of the matter is, you have not always responded to my post to you. I know there are at least 2 that are outstanding, but I do not assume from this that you cannot, or do not want to respond, it could be that you simply missed them, as I do at times.

Next, I have a full time job, and at this point, I am on a special project that is taking up much of my time, along with my family responsibilities, (we have had to move my mother-in-law in with us because of her age, and health).

Also, there have been times, while waiting upon a response from you, that I have gotten involved in other threads, and by the time I have gotten around to you again, there really seemed to be that too much time had elapsed. In fact, this may be the reason for some of your failed responses, because of the time lapse. In other words, you may have thought that I was not going to respond, and simply missed where I have.

Another example would be, I actually at this point have a draft saved that I was working on, in response to one of your post, but I ran across another thread that caught my interest, and became tied up with it to the point I believed it was really to late to worry with it any longer.

There have been numerous, numerous, times here on this site, where I have failed to receive a response from another, and I do not assume that because of this, I have won the argument, or they have no way in which to respond. Many times, the conversation simply ends, because there is really nothing left to say, much like this conversation, where we will continue to make the same points, over, and over.

Next, as is obvious, you, and I tend to be in depth, on top of the fact that I am not the type of person to simply throw out a response, simply for the sake of responding. Rather, I tend to think through what others have said, and may actually do this for a number of days.

I may respond further to this post, but I don't know, I have just read it one time thus far. However, there really is not much there that has not already been said, and it is not very difficult at all to demonstrate, that we are dealing with opinions mostly, with very little facts involved. Maybe it would be best, if I were to choose one thing from your response, and lets attempt to take one thing at a time. We'll see.

If I choose not to respond, and it makes you feel better, to flatter yourself, then please go right ahead, at my expense. I am sure, we will meet again.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #27

[Replying to post 26 by Realworldjack]
Realworldjack wrote: The fact of the matter is, you have not always responded to my post to you. I know there are at least 2 that are outstanding, but I do not assume from this that you cannot, or do not want to respond, it could be that you simply missed them, as I do at times.

Next, I have a full time job, and at this point, I am on a special project that is taking up much of my time, along with my family responsibilities, (we have had to move my mother-in-law in with us because of her age, and health).

Also, there have been times, while waiting upon a response from you, that I have gotten involved in other threads, and by the time I have gotten around to you again, there really seemed to be that too much time had elapsed. In fact, this may be the reason for some of your failed responses, because of the time lapse. In other words, you may have thought that I was not going to respond, and simply missed where I have.
I is always my intention to answer every response. I am rather used to having my discussion partner simply evaporate however. I am not surprised, because believers generally do not like the things that I have to say. Which they consider, like you apparently, to be rude and blasphemous. But then it is natural state of affairs that pretty much EVERYTHING a non believer has to say will be considered blasphemous by a believer. The very nature of being an atheist is blasphemous to believers. And I have noticed that believers very often consider me rude for saying, among other things, that Christianity is silly. But the core claim of Christianity is that a corpse came back to life and then subsequently flew off up into the sky. This is either true exactly as believed, or it is a perfectly silly thing to believe. And as an atheist it should already be perfectly clear that I do not believe that any such thing ever occurred. Believers are of course free to believe that I am silly for not believing as they do and that I will go to hell where I will be chewed on by devils and demons for all eternity. Opinions on those things which are silly differ considerably, you see.

But as I said, I am used to not receiving replies from believers. Three to five exchanges is common. If after several days I have not received a reply I consider that I have been stood up, and stop checking back. If you have posted replies that I have not responded to, please point them out to me.
Realworldjack wrote: Another example would be, I actually at this point have a draft saved that I was working on, in response to one of your post, but I ran across another thread that caught my interest, and became tied up with it to the point I believed it was really to late to worry with it any longer.
But you can see how one might take such a non response as the inability to formulate a convincing response. And consider it as a victory.
Realworldjack wrote: I may respond further to this post, but I don't know, I have just read it one time thus far.
When I get a response I am generally compelled to respond back immediately. Because each response I get tends to fill me with a myriad of comments, objections and observations. An argument that doesn't immediately fill one with numerous strong retorts, is an argument that one is losing.
Realworldjack wrote: However, there really is not much there that has not already been said, and it is not very difficult at all to demonstrate, that we are dealing with opinions mostly, with very little facts involved. Maybe it would be best, if I were to choose one thing from your response, and lets attempt to take one thing at a time. We'll see.
It's not just you, you see. There is a pattern to my being stood up. And my usual conclusion is that if I were on the believing side of the argument I would probably discontinue the ongoing process of taking a beating myself. Because the things I say are clearly valid, are usually accompanied with extensive evidence, and yet directly contradicts everything that a believing person has been taught their entire lives. The things I say contradict the believer's entire worldview, and often in a convincing fashion, leaving no real generally convincing retort possible. And let me say, this does not occur because I am smarter than everyone else. It occurs because it is the very nature of religious beliefs that they are based on silly claims. All that is necessary is to point out the nature of that silliness. The non believer always has the advantage in a religious debate of fact and logic. If a non believer is not frightened by the prospect of death in the form of permanent oblivion, or of being chewed on by devils and demons in hell for all eternity, then the non believer will always possess the advantage of the superior position of reason and logic in a religious debate. And for believers, who are afraid of death and devils, no giving in is possible. The obvious choice becomes discontinuing the discussion.

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #28

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to post 27 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Well I was working on my response to your previous post when I decided to take a break, and saw this response.

You really do seem to have a problem with determining the difference between those things that are actually true, and those things you simply believe to be true, which is one of the first things I am pointing out in the other response.
TON wrote:Which they consider, like you apparently, to be rude and blasphemous
First, I have never used the word, "blasphemous" on this site. In fact, I could probably count on one hand the times I MAY have used this word in my entire life. When I am engaged with unbelievers, this word has never entered my mind. So then, as we can clearly see, there are those who spew things out, with no facts involved at all.

Now lets talk about the word rude. I have never said you were rude, because I could really care less if you were rude or not. I have no problem with allowing folks to express themselves freely, and while many may consider their approach as rude, I never take offense.

However, there is a tremendous difference between those who are simply attempting to freely express themselves, and may come across as rude to others, as opposed to those who do this sort of thing as a tactic.

You know, like those who are not really all that concerned with truth, but are rather simply attempting to win an argument, get the last word, and hope these sort of tactics work to run off opponents and then go on to claim victory.

And then there are those whose whole approach seems to be tactical, right down to their avatar, which seems to be an attempt to intimidate. Then of course there are those who will go to any length in order to intimidate, like the member here who actually sent me a private message, that was clearly an attempt to intimidate, and also clearly an attempt to have me leave the forum quietly. Wonder whom that might have been?

So again, there is a tremendous difference between those who are simply attempting to express themselves, and may come across as rude, as opposed to those who clearly, and beyond doubt, use rudeness as a tactic, in order to intimidate, and, or an attempt to rid the site of opponents in order to somehow claim some sort of victory.

It is completely legitimate to do these sort of things in the open, in the forum for all to see, and read. It is quite another to do this sort of thing through private messaging. But it is okay, because I did not take offense then, but could at that point tell exactly what I was dealing with, which was, TACTICS!

You see, I have been involved many different debates, with many different people here on this site, some of which were quite fierce. However, I have been involved with some of these same folks through private message, and my tone will change quite a bit, because I realize, that I am not attacking the person themselves, rather I am attempting to refute their ideas.

However, the particular private message I am referring too, was far worse than anything I have read out in the forum. This demonstrates there are those here who understand we are here to simply debate, and exchange ideas, but when all is said and done, we can remain civil, and continue to be friends, as opposed to those who are simply out to "DEVOUR" their opponent. I wonder if there is anyone here that remembers this word, "DEVOUR" being used in a private message?

But again, I did not take offense, and I did not report it, even though I am sure that most would have, rather it allowed me to see exactly what I was dealing with.

At any rate, I believe one way in which to tell if one is using rudeness as some sort of tactic, is by how much trouble they may have had with the moderators. For one thing the rules are pretty clear, and it is not difficult at all to abide by the rules. In fact, I have never read the rules at all myself, and have had very little trouble at all.

Therefore, when you have those who have had this sort of trouble, all the way, and up to probation, then this certainly seems to be a sign, that this sort of thing is tactical, because again, one should not even have to read the rules, it should be common knowledge, so what other reason would there be for anyone at all to have such trouble with the moderators, other than, they must go outside the bounds, in order to attempt to win the argument, and or, an attempt to intimidate?
TON wrote:And I have noticed that believers very often consider me rude for saying, among other things, that Christianity is silly.
I do not consider it rude for anyone to express what they truly believe. But there is a difference between what you believe to be true, as opposed to what you can demonstrate to be true, and you cannot, and have not in any way demonstrated Christianity to be, "silly." There is also a difference between, explaining to us why, you believe it to be silly, and actually demonstrating that is indeed, silly which again you have not done. Lets demonstrate this by looking at something else you say,
TON wrote:This is either true exactly as believed, or it is a perfectly silly thing to believe.
This is not necessarily true at all! As an example, the majority of people years ago believed that the Sun revolved around the Earth. Now, they were completely wrong, but this did not mean that what they believed was silly in any way, because they were using the evidence they had at the time.

At this point in time, it would be silly to believe that the Sun revolves around the Earth, because it has been demonstrated that it does not. However, Christianity has not been demonstrated to be false in any way, and even if belief seems silly to you, this does not cause belief to actually become silly. Again, facts verses opinion.
TON wrote:Believers are of course free to believe that I am silly for not believing as they do
And this is one of the major differences between us! You see, I have never claimed it was silly not to believe, because I understand that I could not demonstrate it to be silly, in the way I could demonstrate believing the Sun revolved around the Earth to be silly. In the same way, you have not demonstrated belief to be silly, and yet you claim it is silly, as if it were a fact!

Also, since I have never made the claim, then why do you bring it up to me? I'll tell you why! It is a tactic, like many of the other tactics, and it causes us to waste time talking about a subject that has never been brought up. In other words, you are creating your own arguments, so that you can easily tear them down. But I am not one of the other opponents you have faced, and I would never make such an unwarranted claim, so please leave these arguments for those who do!
TON wrote: and that I will go to hell where I will be chewed on by devils and demons for all eternity.
And here is another fine example of, assumptions, and tactics, because I have never once mentioned any of these things, on top of the fact that the Bible does not necessarily teach such things.

So here we are again, wasting time on a topic that I never brought into the conversation, but rather it was you, and now it is very easy to bring these things up yourself, and then go on to talk about how silly they are. I'm telling you, it would go far better, if we could simply talk about the things that come up in our particular conversations, as opposed to you bringing in your own topics to "devour." It really is, tiresome!
TON wrote:When I get a response I am generally compelled to respond back immediately. Because each response I get tends to fill me with a myriad of comments, objections and observations. An argument that doesn't immediately fill one with numerous strong retorts, is an argument that one is losing.
What was that word again............? Oh that's right, it was, "silly." That is a good word to use here. You see because, every time I read another post, I have, "a myriad of comments, objections and observations", but since we are in this type of format, I tend to stop and attempt to really think through all that has been said. Sometimes, I will carry these thoughts with me to work, or with me when I have had to travel, and it passes the time away.

Now, if we were in an oral debate, I would have no choice than to spew out these objections. However, I am not in a hurry, and I am not under any obligation to respond immediately. So please excuse me if I do not simply spew out the first thing that comes to my mind, and I do not adhere to your schedule.

It would be quite silly for someone to conclude that since someone does not respond back immediately, that they are losing the argument. This would be an assumption, but I am very use to that by now, as you can see.
TON wrote:Three to five exchanges is common.
GOOD GRIEF! How many exchanges to you think is needed? Do you imagine our conversation will go on, till the end of time? Some of us really need to get over thinking that simply because they have the last word, that this somehow means they have won the argument, and or their opponent has, "taken a beating. Because there are those of us who can understand when a conversation has run it's course, and all that is being done, is repeating the same old things.

This sort of thing has happen to me numerous times, where both myself, and the one I may be conversing with, simply see that there is really nothing new left to say, and if by chance I have the last word, I do not assume it is because, I have won the argument, or past out a beating.

There are many times when, you have said all there is to say, and it is time to move on to other topics.

Well lets take a look at some of the other thing you say, in order to determine how many facts you actually have?
There is a pattern to my being stood up.
This could be true, but I would have no way to determine this, and if we are talking about after three, to five exchanges it may not be that you are "being stood up", it could be the conversation has simply run it's course.
And my usual conclusion is that if I were on the believing side of the argument I would probably discontinue the ongoing process of taking a beating myself.
No facts involved here, and at least you do sort of state it as an opinion.
Because the things I say are clearly valid
This is clearly an opinion, on top of the fact that I have demonstrated numerous times where you state things as fact, that are clearly not.
are usually accompanied with extensive evidence
Not sure what "extensive evidence" you are speaking of, but it is quite easy to claim that you do, so this is not necessarily a fact, it could definitely fall into the category of opinion.
and yet directly contradicts everything that a believing person has been taught their entire lives.
This could be a fact, but more than likely an overstatement.
The things I say contradict the believer's entire worldview, and often in a convincing fashion,
This is clearly an opinion, although I am sure it is a fact in your own mind!
leaving no real generally convincing retort possible.
Again, an opinion, and if it is after three to five exchanges, there are those of us who realize when it is time to move on, which means it would not demonstrate that there is, "no real generally convincing retort possible."
And let me say, this does not occur because I am smarter than everyone else.
I do not know how we would determine this.
It occurs because it is the very nature of religious beliefs that they are based on silly claims.
Opinion, stated as fact!
The non believer always has the advantage in a religious debate of fact and logic.
Opinion, stated as fact.
All that is necessary is to point out the nature of that silliness.
NO! It would need to be demonstrated as a fact!
If a non believer is not frightened by the prospect of death in the form of permanent oblivion, or of being chewed on by devils and demons in hell for all eternity, then the non believer will always possess the advantage of the superior position of reason and logic in a religious debate.
This is opinion, and also tactical in that these things have not been brought up in our conversation, so it would be a diversion in order to get the conversation off track.
And for believers, who are afraid of death and devils, no giving in is possible. The obvious choice becomes discontinuing the discussion.
Again, more than likely a tactic, in order to attempt to get someone to defend something that was never said.

So then, while your imagination is telling you that, "you are being stood up because the opponent has no other logical retort", I believe there are many other factors involved.

There may be a reason for others here to become, "tired of the nonsense!"

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #29

[Replying to Realworldjack]
Realworldjack wrote: Well I was working on my response to your previous post when I decided to take a break, and saw this response. You really do seem to have a problem with determining the difference between those things that are actually true, and those things you simply believe to be true, which is one of the first things I am pointing out in the other response.
Perhaps you could illustrate for us the proper technique for determining the difference between those things which are actually true and those things which are believed to be true?

TotN wrote:
"Which they consider, like you apparently, to be rude and blasphemous"
Realworldjack wrote: First, I have never used the word, "blasphemous" on this site. In fact, I could probably count on one hand the times I MAY have used this word in my entire life. When I am engaged with unbelievers, this word has never entered my mind. So then, as we can clearly see, there are those who spew things out, with no facts involved at all.
Using the word blasphemous and considering something to be blasphemous are two slightly different things. If I were to suggest, and I do, that God is simply a figment of the imagination, many people would consider that to be blasphemous. Most religions, including Christianity consider denying the existence of God to be the ultimate form of blasphemy. And yet that is the very subject which is the raison d'etre for this entire forum.

But allow me to ask you directly; do you or do you not consider denying the existence of God to be blasphemy? Do you consider my often repeated observation that Christianity is founded on the belief that a corpse came back to life and then subsequently flew away, to be rude? Because many of the Christians on the forum consider my very use of the phrase "came back to life and then subsequently flew away" to be rude, and would strongly prefer that I use the terms "resurrected" and "ascended" instead. Christians have a long history of getting things their way, and controlling the terminology is simply one aspect of that. Denying the truth of Christianity is the very act of puncturing the myth of Christianity however. And that also includes stating flat out that God is simply a figment of the imagination, and that believing that a corpse came back to life and then flew away conforms to the definition of that which is apparently silly. These are concepts which many people consider too sacrosanct to address. To address something however one must first be allowed to consider it. And to consider something one must first be allowed to think it.
Realworldjack wrote: Now lets talk about the word rude. I have never said you were rude, because I could really care less if you were rude or not. I have no problem with allowing folks to express themselves freely, and while many may consider their approach as rude, I never take offense.
Realworldjack wrote:
"The main point here is, you have brought nothing up thus far, in all of your comments, that demonstrates in any way that Christianity, must, and has to be false. All you have done is to give us, other possibilities, insults, and debate tactics."

If I am being insulting then I must be being rude. But yet I deny that I am being either insulting or rude. I suggest instead that you are insulted because you consider what I am saying to be blasphemous. Which was my original point.

I am not sure what "debate tactics" are, actually. Unless it is commiting the faux pas of of making strong points which often appear to be both reasonable and unassailable. No
apologies for that, I am afraid.
Realworldjack wrote: However, there is a tremendous difference between those who are simply attempting to freely express themselves, and may come across as rude to others, as opposed to those who do this sort of thing as a tactic.
There is indeed. And I hope you can see your way clear to recognizing the difference. But please explain your use of the word, "tactic."
Realworldjack wrote: You know, like those who are not really all that concerned with truth, but are rather simply attempting to win an argument, get the last word, and hope these sort of tactics work to run off opponents and then go on to claim victory.
That would be a position I would expect someone to take who is finding themselves consistently coming out on the losing end of an argument that they fully believe is the clear and obvious winning side of the argument. Another explanation is that there IS no tactic, there ARE no insults, and the reason one consistently finds themselves coming out on the losing side of the argument, is because they ARE on the losing side of the argument. Because that you see, that WOULD serve to fully explain the nature of your frustration.
Realworldjack wrote: And then there are those whose whole approach seems to be tactical, right down to their avatar, which seems to be an attempt to intimidate. Then of course there are those who will go to any length in order to intimidate, like the member here who actually sent me a private message, that was clearly an attempt to intimidate, and also clearly an attempt to have me leave the forum quietly. Wonder whom that might have been?
I never want ANY of the believers to leave the forum. Who would I have to argue with?

If you find my silly mechanical moon face intimidating, that delights me. Because it is just a silly moon face. I actually always admired Goat's old avatar, which was a spinning star of David. So I searched for something that was animated. Atheists don't have icons. I happen to like the man in the moon. I have two stained glass man in the moon faces hanging in the windows of my house. They have absolutely no significance at all. They are not a statement of anything. I simply happen to like them.

Some years ago I had a brass belt buckle that was of a quarter moon and three stars. One of my religious co-workers asked me if I was promoting Satanism. He said that the use of the quarter moon was Satanic, because the points of the quarter moon signified the horns of Satan. Procter and Gamble used this sign of Satan as their Logo, he claimed, because they are a Satanic company. He asked me where I got the buckle. I had to think about it for awhile, because I couldn't remember. Then it dawned on me. It came with the belt. And this was yet another example, as if I need any more examples, of just how silly and foolish religious people can be.

Realworldjack wrote: So again, there is a tremendous difference between those who are simply attempting to express themselves, and may come across as rude, as opposed to those who clearly, and beyond doubt, use rudeness as a tactic, in order to intimidate, and, or an attempt to rid the site of opponents in order to somehow claim some sort of victory.
My only "tactic" is to say what I think as clearly as possible.
Realworldjack wrote: It is completely legitimate to do these sort of things in the open, in the forum for all to see, and read. It is quite another to do this sort of thing through private messaging. But it is okay, because I did not take offense then, but could at that point tell exactly what I was dealing with, which was, TACTICS!

You see, I have been involved many different debates, with many different people here on this site, some of which were quite fierce. However, I have been involved with some of these same folks through private message, and my tone will change quite a bit, because I realize, that I am not attacking the person themselves, rather I am attempting to refute their ideas.

However, the particular private message I am referring too, was far worse than anything I have read out in the forum. This demonstrates there are those here who understand we are here to simply debate, and exchange ideas, but when all is said and done, we can remain civil, and continue to be friends, as opposed to those who are simply out to "DEVOUR" their opponent. I wonder if there is anyone here that remembers this word, "DEVOUR" being used in a private message?

I just checked my Sentbox. The current oldest message in my Sentbox goes back to January 3, 2016. None of the messages I have sent in the last year and a half were sent to you. So I genuinely have no idea of what you are talking about. Most of my PM's are replies to the PM's of others. I may well have sent you a PM prior to a year and a half ago. But PM trolling really is not my style. What you are suggesting really does not sound like me. Are you confusing me with someone else? PM me with a copy so that I can understand what you are getting at.
Realworldjack wrote: At any rate, I believe one way in which to tell if one is using rudeness as some sort of tactic, is by how much trouble they may have had with the moderators. For one thing the rules are pretty clear, and it is not difficult at all to abide by the rules. In fact, I have never read the rules at all myself, and have had very little trouble at all.

Therefore, when you have those who have had this sort of trouble, all the way, and up to probation, then this certainly seems to be a sign, that this sort of thing is tactical,
because again, one should not even have to read the rules, it should be common knowledge, so what other reason would there be for anyone at all to have such trouble with the moderators, other than, they must go outside the bounds, in order to attempt to win the argument, and or, an attempt to intimidate?
I suspect you are confusing me with someone else.

Years ago on an entirely different forum I was accused of sexism by a woman, and of attempting intimate her by virtue of my greater size and gender. How does one use their size to intimidate someone they have never met, will never meet, in a text based format? The only thing that matters in a text based format is the quality of one's thought. In fact I was treating her no different than any other individual I was in discussion with. If I had been differential to her based on her gender THAT would have been sexism. So how I am able to "go outside of the bounds" in an effort to intimidate you, I have no idea. Nor has it ever been that important to me.
Realworldjack wrote: I do not consider it rude for anyone to express what they truly believe. But there is a difference between what you believe to be true, as opposed to what you can demonstrate to be true, and you cannot, and have not in any way demonstrated Christianity to be, "silly." There is also a difference between, explaining to us why, you believe it to be silly, and actually demonstrating that is indeed, silly which again you have not done. Lets demonstrate this by looking at something else you say,
TotN wrote:
"This is either true exactly as believed, or it is a perfectly silly thing to believe."
Realworldjack wrote: This is not necessarily true at all! As an example, the majority of people years ago believed that the Sun revolved around the Earth. Now, they were completely wrong, but this did not mean that what they believed was silly in any way, because they were using the evidence they had at the time.
Observation of the night sky once seemed to indicate that the "heavens" revolve around the earth. Upon further observation however, it has become apparent that this simply is not so.

The "heavens" are an entire universe, and the universe has no center.

Overwhelming observation and all common experience indicates that a corpse will not come back to life, and it certainly will not fly away. That has been a consistent observation since the beginning of recorded history. Claiming that it occurred once corresponds to the textbook definition of that which is silly; i.e. that which contradicts all common experience and observation. If that changes and it becomes clear that a corpse certainly can return to life after three days and then fly off up into the sky, contact me with the evidence, and I will consider withdrawing my statement.
Realworldjack wrote: At this point in time, it would be silly to believe that the Sun revolves around the Earth, because it has been demonstrated that it does not. However, Christianity has not been
demonstrated to be false in any way, and even if belief seems silly to you, this does not cause belief to actually become silly. Again, facts verses opinion.
Is it your opinion that God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent? This is a straightforward yes or no question.

TotN wrote:
"Believers are of course free to believe that I am silly for not believing as they do."
Realworldjack wrote: And this is one of the major differences between us! You see, I have never claimed it was silly not to believe, because I understand that I could not demonstrate it to be silly, in the way I could demonstrate believing the Sun revolved around the Earth to be silly. In the same way, you have not demonstrated belief to be silly, and yet you claim it is silly, as if it were a fact!

Also, since I have never made the claim, then why do you bring it up to me? I'll tell you why! It is a tactic, like many of the other tactics, and it causes us to waste time talking about a subject that has never been brought up. In other words, you are creating your own arguments, so that you can easily tear them down. But I am not one of the other opponents you have faced, and I would never make such an unwarranted claim, so please leave these arguments for those who do!
You are not all believers. I have been told far too many times to count that I have foolishly headed down a path to eternal damnation when I could so very easily be headed along the path to eternal salvation. This of course by people who believe that the Proctor and Gamble logo is Satanic, and that devils and demons are real.

TotN wrote:
"and that I will go to hell where I will be chewed on by devils and demons for all eternity."
Realworldjack wrote: And here is another fine example of, assumptions, and tactics, because I have never once mentioned any of these things, on top of the fact that the Bible does not necessarily teach such things.

So here we are again, wasting time on a topic that I never brought into the conversation, but rather it was you, and now it is very easy to bring these things up yourself, and then go on to talk about how silly they are. I'm telling you, it would go far better, if we could simply talk about the things that come up in our particular conversations, as opposed to you bringing in your own topics to "devour." It really is, tiresome!
Well you see, I was raised Pentecostal, and threats and fear mongering are pretty common to Pentecostal beliefs. The pentecostal are hardly alone in this however. Many people (most I suspect) subscribe to a religious belief because they are afraid of death, and because they are afraid of the hell they have been told about. They are hugely afraid of missing that boat ride to Bimini that they have been promised when they die if they will just be sufficiently gullible. Fear, fear, mind numbing, intellect diminishing, paralyzing fear. Like the Jedi mind trick however, it doesn't work on everyone. There is nothing to fear, but fear itself. I choose not to be afraid of make believe.
Realworldjack wrote: It really is, tiresome!
And yet you continue to frequent the forum.

TotN wrote:
"When I get a response I am generally compelled to respond back immediately. Because each response I get tends to fill me with a myriad of comments, objections and observations. An argument that doesn't immediately fill one with numerous strong retorts, is an argument that one is losing."
Realworldjack wrote: What was that word again............? Oh that's right, it was, "silly." That is a good word to use here. You see because, every time I read another post, I have, "a myriad of comments, objections and observations", but since we are in this type of format, I tend to stop and attempt to really think through all that has been said. Sometimes, I will carry these thoughts with me to work, or with me when I have had to travel, and it passes the time away.

Now, if we were in an oral debate, I would have no choice than to spew out these objections. However, I am not in a hurry, and I am not under any obligation to respond immediately. So please excuse me if I do not simply spew out the first thing that comes to my mind, and I do not adhere to your schedule.

It would be quite silly for someone to conclude that since someone does not respond back immediately, that they are losing the argument. This would be an assumption, but I am very use to that by now, as you can see.
I don't expect everyone to respond back immediately. I have a life too. But when the days turn into weeks and the person continues to post to others but not to you, especially when you have made the effort to present a very long and detailed response to them, it does tend force one to conclude that they are not responding to you because they have discovered that they are unable to provide a compelling counter argument. This is a fact of life on this forum that I am very familiar with.
Realworldjack wrote:
GOOD GRIEF! How many exchanges to you think is needed? Do you imagine our conversation will go on, till the end of time? Some of us really need to get over thinking that simply because they have the last word, that this somehow means they have won the argument, and or their opponent has, "taken a beating. Because there are those of us who can understand when a conversation has run it's course, and all that is being done, is repeating the same old things.

This sort of thing has happen to me numerous times, where both myself, and the one I may be conversing with, simply see that there is really nothing new left to say, and if by chance I have the last word, I do not assume it is because, I have won the argument, or past out a beating.

There are many times when, you have said all there is to say, and it is time to move on to other topics.
I expect a debate to continue to resolution. But what I continue to encounter are debates that abruptly stop. Usually just when they are getting good (good from my point of view). When I have more to say, I can barely contain myself in responding. Especially when the other person has exposed gaping holes in their thought processes, and mistakes in their assertions. I expect that I would not be so ready to respond if the other person was in the process of exposing me to my own errors in fact and logic. That almost never happens however. I am not being insufferable when I say that. I am being factual. A couple of years ago I was forced to admit that I had mistaken a verse in Ecclesiasticus for one in Ecclesiastes. Like any human I am fallible. But I have largely avoided any mistakes of serious consequence. So far.
Realworldjack wrote: Well lets take a look at some of the other thing you say, in order to determine how many facts you actually have?
TotN wrote:
"There is a pattern to my being stood up."
Realworldjack wrote: This could be true, but I would have no way to determine this, and if we are talking about after three, to five exchanges it may not be that you are "being stood up", it could be the conversation has simply run it's course.
The pattern is, the other person inevitably seems to feel that the conversation has run it's course just when they appear to be good and well cornered.
Realworldjack wrote: Not sure what "extensive evidence" you are speaking of, but it is quite easy to claim that you do, so this is not necessarily a fact, it could definitely fall into the category of opinion.
I tend to rely on Wikipedia, because it is easy for everyone to check. Many people object to Wikipedia. Mainly Christians, because it very often present information which contradicts what they prefer to believe, or what their indoctrination insists is true. All I can say in these cases, is that my claims are sustained by generally available information, and I am not making anything up as I go along. I also often provide direct quotes from books in my own library. For which I am criticized from providing claims which are not easy to check. I do my very best to provide support for everything I say, however.

TotN wrote:
"The things I say contradict the believer's entire worldview, and often in a convincing fashion"
Realworldjack wrote:
This is clearly an opinion, although I am sure it is a fact in your own mind!
The things I say clearly DO contradict the believer's worldview. Whether or not is in a convincing fashion is an opinion often derived from the fact that believers continuously find it expedient to disappear from the discussion, rather than to provide a defense for their beliefs. A debate is a kind of a battle of the minds. In any battle, if one chooses to abruptly disappear from the field of combat, the other person as every right to assume that they have prevailed.

TotN wrote
"And let me say, this does not occur because I am smarter than everyone else."
Realworldjack wrote: I do not know how we would determine this.
Well, it was not stated as a question.

TotN wrote:
"It occurs because it is the very nature of religious beliefs that they are based on silly claims."
Realworldjack wrote:
Opinion, stated as fact!
Consider the other of the world's great religious beliefs. If they are not based on silly claims, then they must be based on solid fact. Which of the other religious beliefs would you like to propose is based on solid fact?

TotN wrote:
"All that is necessary is to point out the nature of that silliness."
Realworldjack wrote: NO! It would need to be demonstrated as a fact!
According to Islamic belief, as a demonstration of his power and position with God, Muhammad once tore the moon in half and then restored it again.

To affect the final slaughter of an entire people, right down to the smallest babe in arms, Joshua once commanded the sun and the moon to remain still in the sky for about a full day.

According to the Qur'an, Muhammad once rode a flying steed up to heaven, where he met with the prophets (including Jesus), the angels, and finally with God himself. He then returned before daybreak.

According to the NT, Jesus was executed, but his corpse returned to life and he subsequently lifted off of the ground and flew up into the clouds.

Where exactly do to noticed a dividing line between fact and silliness in these claims? Because I can see none.

TotN wrote:
"If a non believer is not frightened by the prospect of death in the form of permanent oblivion, or of being chewed on by devils and demons in hell for all eternity, then the non believer will always possess the advantage of the superior position of reason and logic in a religious debate."
Realworldjack wrote: This is opinion, and also tactical in that these things have not been brought up in our conversation, so it would be a diversion in order to get the conversation off track.
TotN wrote:
"And for believers, who are afraid of death and devils, no giving in is possible. The obvious choice becomes discontinuing the discussion."
Realworldjack wrote: Again, more than likely a tactic, in order to attempt to get someone to defend something that was never said.

So then, while your imagination is telling you that, "you are being stood up because the opponent has no other logical retort", I believe there are many other factors involved.
I believe that these things were entered into our discussion because I brought these things up and entered them into our discussion.
Realworldjack wrote: There may be a reason for others here to become, "tired of the nonsense!"
There never was any doubt about this.

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #30

Post by alexxcJRO »

[Replying to Realworldjack]

“Remember, we are not saying it absolutely has, and must be true. Rather, we are simply saying, there are good, and solid reasons to believe, and what I have simply outlined above, would simply be the tip of the iceberg.�

Q: What good reasons? :-s

We only have some bogus anecdotal (testimonial) evidence from 2000 years ago.

We have the same testimonial evidence for the miracles of Sathya Say Baba(he apparently healed himself in front of the thousands of people gathered in Prashanthi Nilayam who were then praying for his recovery.), The Greys(abductions) and for any other miracle(from other religions), supernatural, paranormal event out there.

We have sincere and vivid accounts of one’s encounter with an angel or the Virgin Mary, an alien, a ghost, a Bigfoot, a child claiming to have lived before, purple auras around dying patients, a miraculous dowser, a levitating guru, and so one.

We have The Miracle of the Sun experienced by tens of thousands of people if not millions in Fatima, Portugal. According to many witnesses the sun was then reported to have careened towards the earth before zig-zagging back to its normal position.

But the logic dictates if not suffering of bias, special pleading you should also believe in reincarnation, The Greys(aliens), Bigfoot, Ghosts, and so one; like you believe in the miracle of Christianity because the evidence is the same: (anecdotal (testimonial) evidence). 8-)

Q: Do you believe in reincarnation, The Greys(aliens), Bigfoot, Ghosts, and so one; like you believe in the miracle of Christianity because the evidence is the same: (anecdotal (testimonial) evidence)?
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."