Was Jesus just a moral Teacher, and nothing more?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Was Jesus just a moral Teacher, and nothing more?

Post #1

Post by BigChrisfilm »

"I am trying here to prevent anyone from saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him [Jesus Christ]: "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept his claim to be God." That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic -- on a level with a man who says he is a poached egg -- or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse .... You can shut him up for fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that option open to us. He did not intend to.” - C.S. Lewis

oldbadger
Guru

Re: Was Jesus just a moral Teacher, and nothing more?

Post #61

Post by oldbadger »

1213 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am Sorry, I can't accept such a claim without anything substantial supporting it.
But what 'substantial' evidence do you have for a resurrection, or back-to-life miracles?
I have not seen any intelligent reason to think that is true.
I have a feeling that if you would be presented with contradictions from the gospels that you might have some difficulty with your answers.
Would you like to try that? I could open such a thread of you would take part,?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #62

Post by TRANSPONDER »

oldbadger wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:06 pm
1213 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am Sorry, I can't accept such a claim without anything substantial supporting it.
But what 'substantial' evidence do you have for a resurrection, or back-to-life miracles?
I have not seen any intelligent reason to think that is true.
I have a feeling that if you would be presented with contradictions from the gospels that you might have some difficulty with your answers.

:D go for it. I have already done it - at length, and I know what you will get, invention, fiddling and denial.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #63

Post by oldbadger »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:30 pm :D go for it. I have already done it - at length, and I know what you will get, invention, fiddling and denial.
Let me start such a thread again, later on this week.
I'll use a format where in each post two contradicting verses are shown and readers are asked for to choose the true or correct one, or comment as they please.
That way I don't have to say very much at all.
:D

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #64

Post by TRANSPONDER »

oldbadger wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:16 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:30 pm :D go for it. I have already done it - at length, and I know what you will get, invention, fiddling and denial.
Let me start such a thread again, later on this week.
I'll use a format where in each post two contradicting verses are shown and readers are asked for to choose the true or correct one, or comment as they please.
That way I don't have to say very much at all.
I'll look for it. I'll be honest; though I ramble on at length myself, my heart sinks when I see a post of twenty points and responses. '

Savant

Post #65

Post by 1213 »

oldbadger wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:06 pm But what 'substantial' evidence do you have for a resurrection, or back-to-life miracles?
To me Bible is enough evidence, because it shows great understanding and wisdom. I don't believe we would have it, if it would not be true.
oldbadger wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:06 pmI have a feeling that if you would be presented with contradictions from the gospels that you might have some difficulty with your answers.
Yes please, maybe you can show something more intelligent than all the atheists before you.

Savant

Post #66

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:50 am ...
You never do; you deny even what the Bible plainly says...
Why do you spread that lie? I have not denied anything Bible says.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #67

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:53 pm
oldbadger wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:06 pm But what 'substantial' evidence do you have for a resurrection, or back-to-life miracles?
To me Bible is enough evidence, because it shows great understanding and wisdom. I don't believe we would have it, if it would not be true.
oldbadger wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:06 pmI have a feeling that if you would be presented with contradictions from the gospels that you might have some difficulty with your answers.
Yes please, maybe you can show something more intelligent than all the atheists before you.
Insolence :D Any theists here capable of discrimination will surely be embarrassed at your arrogance when they will have been able to see (if they even dared look) at how you have been repeatedly shown up. I'll say you are an indefatigable poster but a poor apologist. I know you deny everything and repeatedly demand when you save said or done this or that, when everyone has seen it repeatedly.

Just sayin' as they say :) because to recognise the failings recognises the fail of the Christian case, so I know that won't be an option.

As to the Bible, it is clear that you read into it whatever you want and ignore and deny everything you don't. This has been seen many times. The fact is you probably think you are winning, but you have already failed and you have only denial of everything left. But surely nobody is fooled anymore.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #68

Post by oldbadger »

1213 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:53 pm
Really?
That's twice that you have mentioned 'intelligence'. Interesting!

You don't need to be very intelligent to select two different verses from the gospels for comments. In any case, I begin to wonder, can simple people get to your heaven, or do you think that only higher minds will get there?

I'll post that thread by Friday, but in the meantime let me ask you a simple question, since you'll know the gospels quite well, can you tell me what Jesus 'did in the Great Temple on Palm Sunday'??

Savant

Post #69

Post by 1213 »

oldbadger wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:51 am ...You don't need to be very intelligent to select two different verses from the gospels for comments. In any case, I begin to wonder, can simple people get to your heaven, or do you think that only higher minds will get there?
Perhaps it is only the ones with simple mind, not the ones with crooked mind.
oldbadger wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:51 am...I'll post that thread by Friday, but in the meantime let me ask you a simple question, since you'll know the gospels quite well, can you tell me what Jesus 'did in the Great Temple on Palm Sunday'??
By what I know, Bible doesn't have the word Palm Sunday, so I can't know what he did on Palm Sunday.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #70

Post by oldbadger »

1213 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:13 am By what I know, Bible doesn't have the word Palm Sunday, so I can't know what he did on Palm Sunday.
Please lete explain. My Christian friends telle that they call the Sunday during which Jesus was greeted in to Jerusalem on that 1st day of the last week of his mission 'Palm Sunday' because of the way that people threw palm leaves and branches down for him to walk upon.
I suppose that not all Christians can call it that. Anyway, what do you think that he did in the Great Temple during that day?