Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

The principle of atonement

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

Or is it contrary to it?

A number of questions may be asked and answered on a thread like this.

For example:

What is the principle of atonement?

What part does atonement play in scripture, and in the old and new covenants?

How can we know what does and does not reflect the character [and ways] of God?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: The principle of atonement

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote:How can we know what does and does not reflect the character [and ways] of God?
God's cardinal qualities are love, power, justice and wisdom. Everything his does is a perfect reflection of all four qualties in perfect balance. Jehovah cannot act "out of character" ie he "cannot" (meaning He will not allow himself) to do or say anthing that is not a perfect reflection of these qualities. Thus anyting that does not reflect the above is not a reflection of God's character and ways.

Further reading
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005131

RELATED POSTS
What are the top 40 qualities of Jehovah's personality?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 44#p869944

Does God have a sense of humour?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 63#p883863

Can a perfect God desire anything?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p840881
GOOD

To learn more please go to other posts related to ....

GOD, THE DIVINE NAME and ...THE TRINITY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #3

Post by onewithhim »

Checkpoint wrote: Or is it contrary to it?

A number of questions may be asked and answered on a thread like this.

For example:

What is the principle of atonement?

What part does atonement play in scripture, and in the old and new covenants?

How can we know what does and does not reflect the character [and ways] of God?
The principle of atonement: People are in need of sin "covering" (the meaning of the Hebrew word "kaphar")---atonement---due to inherited sin (see I Kings 8:46; Psalm 51:5; Eccles.7:20; Romans 3:23). The responsibility for this does not rest with God but with the person himself. (Deut.32:4,5) Adam lost his life and also his human perfection, thereby forcing onto his offspring a state of imperfection and eventual death. (Rom.5:12) We deal with a legal principle here, now. Jehovah had in mind certain principles that He would always honor, and later gave them to Moses to write down in the Law. The principle that we are concerned with right at this moment is that like must go for like, exact atonement---an eye for an eye, etc. (Deut.19:18-21) So this exact atonement must be involved and applied, concerning the deeds and resulting consequences of Adam's deliberate rebellion.

As one reference work puts it: "As used in the Bible, 'atonement' has the basic thought of 'cover' or 'exchange,' and that which is given in exchange for, or as a 'cover' for, another thing must be its DUPLICATE. Thus, anything making satisfaction for something that is lost or forfeited must be 'at one' with that other thing, completely covering it as its exact equivalent. There must be no overlapping and no coming short. No imperfect human could provide such a covering or atonement to restore perfect human life to any or all of mankind. (Psalm 49:7,8) To make adequate atonement for what was forfeited by Adam, a sin offering having the precise value of a perfect human life would have to be provided."*

Jehovah thought of this remedy for what Adam did, and, in keeping with His principles, put in motion His plan for a perfect human to "cover" the wreckage attributable to Adam. Relief for mankind and its inherited sinfulness was in the works, due to Jehovah's intense love for His human creation.

We see from the Scriptures that Jehovah is loving and caring (he IS love as I John 4:8 states). He has shown this by orchestrating the covering-over of Adam's sin and resulting death that he (Adam) bestowed upon his children by the obedience and death as a human of God's Son. This shows two very admirable traits of our heavenly Father: (1) His love for mankind, and (2) the fact that He values following laws that have been set in place for the good of humanity, and He doesn't waver from upholding them. Can this truly be said of most humans? It's refreshing and there is a sense of security in knowing that God will always do what is right and what is for the benefit of humans.

(*Insight on the Scriptures, Vol.I)

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

If you are speaking of blood atonement, I don't like what it says about God's character. But I do not believe that He ever required blood-atonement.

He is not some bloodthirsty Pagan deity. He is not "He who must be appeased".

There are many verses in Scripture that indicate YHVH prefers other things to blood-sacrifice.

Things such as mercy, knowledge of God, and contrition:
(Micah 6.6-6.8, Hosea 6.6, Psalm 40.6, Psalm 51.16-17, Proverbs 21.3, Isaiah 1.10-13a, Isaiah 66.2b-4a,Jeremiah 7.21-13, Matthew 9.13,12.7, Mark 12.33, just to name a few)

Blood-atonement, human or animal, is a Pagan vestige. A vestige which Jews outgrew with the help and enlightenment of the Prophets.

And Jesus himself, a Jew, Prophetically taught non-bloody means of atonement as the verses above indicate.

Also, the Lord's prayer, the Beatitudes and the Parables. Non-bloody means of forgiveness and atonement can be found in all of those places where Jesus taught.

Jesus was a martyr for Truth and righteousness, not a sacrificial lamb in spite of the declarations by John and Paul and the Church.

Remember, at the trial before Pilate, Jesus said he came into the world to "bear witness to the Truth". He did not say he came into the world to be a sacrifice in order to "pay for" the sins of humanity.

Jesus proclaimed the mercy of the Father, not the heroism of himself for taking up the cross as any kind of "atonement".
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]
God's cardinal qualities are love, power, justice and wisdom. Everything his does is a perfect reflection of all four qualties in perfect balance. Jehovah cannot act "out of character" ie he "cannot" (meaning He will not allow himself) to do or say anthing that is not a perfect reflection of these qualities. Thus anyting that does not reflect the above is not a reflection of God's character and ways.
Yes, well put.

So, the principle of atonement reflects one or more of these aspects of God's character?

Perhaps you can explain just how it does that, JW.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 5 by Checkpoint]

Certainly, if you will first explain what you mean by "atonement". It's best to define your terms, for clarity.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 3 by onewithhim]

Thanks for an excellent presentation.

Can you please elaborate on whether atonement has a prominent place in scripture, and if so in what specific ways.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 4 by Elijah John]
If you are speaking of blood atonement, I don't like what it says about God's character.

I am speaking of atonement as described and prescribed in the scriptures.

We may or may not like what is written there. What it says is a portrayal of what His character is and is not.

Like it or lump it, it is there.

Without the scriptures we would not know who God is and what His character is.
But I do not believe that He ever required blood-atonement.
Then you are denying and rejecting what scripture tells us, because you "don't like what it says abut God's character".

bluethread
Savant

Post #9

Post by bluethread »

Elijah John wrote: If you are speaking of blood atonement, I don't like what it says about God's character. But I do not believe that He ever required blood-atonement.

He is not some bloodthirsty Pagan deity. He is not "He who must be appeased".
Why must it be saying that Adonai is "He who must be appeased"? Could it not rather be saying man is he who needs the most graphic of object lessons?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 5 by Checkpoint]

Certainly, if you will first explain what you mean by "atonement". It's best to define your terms, for clarity.
What is in post #3 fills in nicely as being ny explanation.

In the OT it is primarily a covering of offenses to appease God.

In the NT it is primarily a redemption, the paying of the price needed to set the captive free, so that the offences are not merely covered, but completely removed. obliterated, taken away.