This Just in: Palestinian News

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

This Just in: Palestinian News

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

Too often arguments on the side of atheists here are based on a deficiency of historical imagination: that is, the ability to visualize concrete and historically educated situations.

Here is a complaint from a member
I got news for you - Jesus wasn't significant. A dude is walking around the Middle East that can change water into wine, and raise people from the dead, and walk on water, and not ONE mention of this is made outside of Paul/Saul's writings
The member here thinks it conspicuous that Jesus is not mentioned in any of the daily news from that period in Palestine. I mean, come on, except for the gospels, no Headlines?!

But what are the headlines? What written sources do we have from Palestine during that period?

We have the N.T. and Josephus. That is it. Atheists think there are volumes of daily news on Palestine and that the absence of Jesus is conspicuous. There aren't. There are some volumes from Josephus and a number of letters and biographies, and both of them overlap in certain references, including references to Jesus’ brother, as well as Jesus himself.

“Well" protests our atheist, "at least Roman headlines should read about it!�

Ah yes. No doubt as soon as Jesus healed some people in a backwater village, everyone ran back to their homes and picked up the telephone and called the local news station and

….oh wait.

"Well," he continues, "at the very least they all wrote letters to their state representatives and…."

oh wait.

"Well," another attempt, "at the very least people talked about Jesus to other people who talked to others who talked to still others, and naturally this talk got to Roman officials who were very concerned about the daily life of Jewish peasants, and so naturally when the overheard about some Jewish guy healing some people in some obscure country they thought, “This is most pressing. Tiberius will no doubt want to drop everything he is dealing with right now and investigate this.�

….oh wait.

Are there any other "Well, (another attempt)"?

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #31

Post by liamconnor »

At any rate,

has any light been shed on the historical situation? Whether or not I have accurately represented a member's criticism, still, the criticism is prevalent among athiests: Jesus and the resurrection do not make a splash in ancient literature.

Now, if we had a library of documents from the place and time period, this would be a very, very good attack.

But do we? What do we have on Palestinian events between 1 AD and 70 AD?

We have Josephus and the N.T.

Both mention Jesus.

I simply think it is time to abandon one common argument among atheists. I am not here arguing for anything more. Simply never again bring up the complaint that Jesus is not mentioned in a plethora of sources; because we simply do not have a plethora of sources from that time and place. In short, the arguments basically asserts, "It is highly suspicious that Jesus and his alleged resurrection does not show up in thousands of non-existent sources."

Let's all just move on to other, better arguments.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #32

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 31 by liamconnor]
I am not here arguing for anything more. Simply never again bring up the complaint that Jesus is not mentioned in a plethora of sources;
How about no? Whatever the reason, he doesn't show up in literature of the day. Given the nature of the claim, a supposedly all knowing God who causes the body to resurrect, it would stand to reason that if this God really does want humans to believe this event happened...he would have given us better evidence than what we do have.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Willum
Savant

Post #33

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 31 by liamconnor]
We have Josephus and the N.T.

Both mention Jesus.
That both have controversy in their origins basically discounts both.
Josephus and others, look like insertions or have words altered (Christós for chrysós for example), so, no, it all works look suspicious, then the argument is still valid.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by McCulloch »

liamconnor wrote:Now, if we had a library of documents from the place and time period, this would be a very, very good attack.

But do we? What do we have on Palestinian events between 1 AD and 70 AD?
Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice wrote:You'd have managed better
If you'd had it planned
Now why'd you choose such a backward time
And such a strange land?
If you'd come today
You could have reached a whole nation
Israel in 4 BC
Had no mass communication
What about the writer Philo, a first-century Alexandrian Jewish philosopher? Most of his works have been preserved in Greek by the Church Fathers; some survive only through an Armenian translation. He does not mention Jesus.

Marcus Velleius Paterculus (c. 19 BC – c. AD 31), was a Roman historian. He does not mention Jesus.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

dio9
Under Probation

Re: This Just in: Palestinian News

Post #35

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]

Oh God , no twitter either.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #36

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 2 by rikuoamero]

how about he didn't want Jesus to be killed so he sent him to the best empire of the day.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #37

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

liamconnor wrote: Too often arguments on the side of atheists here are based on a deficiency of historical imagination: that is, the ability to visualize concrete and historically educated situations.

Here is a complaint from a member
I got news for you - Jesus wasn't significant. A dude is walking around the Middle East that can change water into wine, and raise people from the dead, and walk on water, and not ONE mention of this is made outside of Paul/Saul's writings
The member here thinks it conspicuous that Jesus is not mentioned in any of the daily news from that period in Palestine. I mean, come on, except for the gospels, no Headlines?!

But what are the headlines? What written sources do we have from Palestine during that period?

We have the N.T. and Josephus. That is it. Atheists think there are volumes of daily news on Palestine and that the absence of Jesus is conspicuous. There aren't. There are some volumes from Josephus and a number of letters and biographies, and both of them overlap in certain references, including references to Jesus’ brother, as well as Jesus himself.

“Well" protests our atheist, "at least Roman headlines should read about it!�

Ah yes. No doubt as soon as Jesus healed some people in a backwater village, everyone ran back to their homes and picked up the telephone and called the local news station and

….oh wait.

"Well," he continues, "at the very least they all wrote letters to their state representatives and…."

oh wait.

"Well," another attempt, "at the very least people talked about Jesus to other people who talked to others who talked to still others, and naturally this talk got to Roman officials who were very concerned about the daily life of Jewish peasants, and so naturally when the overheard about some Jewish guy healing some people in some obscure country they thought, “This is most pressing. Tiberius will no doubt want to drop everything he is dealing with right now and investigate this.�

….oh wait.

Are there any other "Well, (another attempt)"?
liamconnor wrote: But what are the headlines? What written sources do we have from Palestine during that period?

We have the N.T. and Josephus. That is it. Atheists think there are volumes of daily news on Palestine and that the absence of Jesus is conspicuous.

Acta Diurna (latin: Daily Acts sometimes translated as Daily Public Records) were daily Roman official notices, a sort of daily gazette. They were carved on stone or metal and presented in message boards in public places like the Forum of Rome. They were also called simply Acta.

History
The first form of Acta appeared around 131 BC during the Roman Republic. Their original content included results of legal proceedings and outcomes of trials. Later the content was expanded to public notices and announcements and other noteworthy information such as prominent births, marriages and deaths. After a couple of days the notices were taken down and archived (though no intact copy has survived to the present day). Sometimes scribes made copies of the Acta and sent them to governors for information. Later emperors used them to announce royal or senatorial decrees and events of the court. Other forms of Acta were legal, municipal and military notices. The Acta, originally kept secret, until then-consul Julius Caesar made them public in 59 BC. Later rulers, however, often censored them. Publication of the Acta Diurna stopped when the seat of the emperor was moved to Constantinople.

The Acta Diurna to some extent filled the place of the modern newspaper and of the government gazette. Today, there are many academic periodicals with the word acta in their titles (the publisher Elsevier has 64 such titles). Acta Diurna introduced the expression “publicare et propagare�, which means "make public and propagate." This expression was set in the end of the texts and proclaimed a release to both Roman citizens and non-citizens. "Acta Diurna" was also used as the title of a Latin newspaper, published by Centaur Books.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acta_Diurna

Encyclopedia Britannica
Acta
ANCIENT ROMAN PUBLICATION
WRITTEN BY: The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica
See Article History
Alternative Titles: “Acta Diurna�, “Acta populi�, “Acta Senatus�