A Weird Test

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

A Weird Test

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

I would like to ask a yes or no question, but before asking it, I request a sworn oath from atheists to answer either yes or no or give no response at all. No other comments.

Now, for this first half of the OP, what atheists can do this? that is, promise to remain silent, or give a yes and no response and no other?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #21

Post by rikuoamero »

cnearing wrote: My bet is that Liam chickens out and fails to post the actual question.
How long is this bet supposed to last for? At the time of writing, it's been three days since this thread was created. No response from OP.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

cnearing
Student

Post #22

Post by cnearing »

rikuoamero wrote:
cnearing wrote: My bet is that Liam chickens out and fails to post the actual question.
How long is this bet supposed to last for? At the time of writing, it's been three days since this thread was created. No response from OP.

Hah, yeah. Not a well-formed bet. Think of it as more of a rhetorical goad.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #23

Post by benchwarmer »

cnearing wrote:
rikuoamero wrote:

Wait a minute, was a bet made, yes or no?

cnearing
Student

Post #24

Post by cnearing »

benchwarmer wrote:
cnearing wrote:
rikuoamero wrote:

Wait a minute, was a bet made, yes or no?

Well, no, obviously not.

KenRU
Guru

A Weird Test

Post #25

Post by KenRU »

I guess we can only conclude that the exchange would have gone like the scene from My Cousin Vinnie:

D.A. Jim Trotter: Now, uh, Ms. Vito, being an expert on general automotive knowledge, can you tell me... what would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor?

Mona Lisa Vito: It's a bullshit question.

D.A. Jim Trotter: Does that mean that you can't answer it?

Mona Lisa Vito: It's a bullshit question, it's impossible to answer.

D.A. Jim Trotter: Impossible because you don't know the answer!

Mona Lisa Vito: Nobody could answer that question!

D.A. Jim Trotter: Your Honor, I move to disqualify Ms. Vito as a "expert witness"!

Judge Chamberlain Haller: Can you answer the question?

Mona Lisa Vito: No, it is a trick question!

Judge Chamberlain Haller: Why is it a trick question?

Vinny Gambini: [to Bill] Watch this.

Mona Lisa Vito: 'Cause Chevy didn't make a 327 in '55, the 327 didn't come out till '62. And it wasn't offered in the Bel Air with a four-barrel carb till '64. However, in 1964, the correct ignition timing would be four degrees before top-dead-center.

D.A. Jim Trotter: Well... um... she's acceptable, Your Honor.
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

rikuoamero wrote:
Whatever you do don't imply that these continuous sorts of adventures to nowhere in particular might be the result of a kind of a reality disconnect. Not that there is anything wrong with it!
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #27

Post by OnceConvinced »

Moderator Action

Thread was reported as being in the wrong sub forum. I agree, so have moved it to General chat.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Re: A Weird Test

Post #28

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

KenRU wrote: I guess we can only conclude that the exchange would have gone like the scene from My Cousin Vinnie:

D.A. Jim Trotter: Now, uh, Ms. Vito, being an expert on general automotive knowledge, can you tell me... what would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor?

Mona Lisa Vito: It's a bullshit question.

D.A. Jim Trotter: Does that mean that you can't answer it?

Mona Lisa Vito: It's a bullshit question, it's impossible to answer.

D.A. Jim Trotter: Impossible because you don't know the answer!

Mona Lisa Vito: Nobody could answer that question!

D.A. Jim Trotter: Your Honor, I move to disqualify Ms. Vito as a "expert witness"!

Judge Chamberlain Haller: Can you answer the question?

Mona Lisa Vito: No, it is a trick question!

Judge Chamberlain Haller: Why is it a trick question?

Vinny Gambini: [to Bill] Watch this.

Mona Lisa Vito: 'Cause Chevy didn't make a 327 in '55, the 327 didn't come out till '62. And it wasn't offered in the Bel Air with a four-barrel carb till '64. However, in 1964, the correct ignition timing would be four degrees before top-dead-center.

D.A. Jim Trotter: Well... um... she's acceptable, Your Honor.
Everyone knows that the new for 1955 small block Chevy V8 was a 265 cubic inch overhead valve engine... don't they? Well they would if they were 16 in 1964 and their father had one of those 265's in his pristine 55 Chevy. He was perfectly happy to let me swap out that weak 265 for a 283, IF I not only did all the work, but paid all the bills. I was 16. I could barely afford to go to McDonalds.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #29

Post by Elijah John »

rikuoamero wrote: I see liam still hasn't asked whatever question he was going to ask. Chalk up another thread he's abandoned I guess...?
If you folks gave him a chance to ask instead of mocking the topic, perhaps he would have.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: A Weird Test

Post #30

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 28 by Tired of the Nonsense]

I was 25 in 1964 -- and owned a 265 powered Chevrolet (1955 if memory serves). It was a sweetheart. I later owned big block GM cars, including a 67 GTO and an SS 396 (1970?) -- both four speed four barrel.

For the last few decades my primary vehicles have been pickup trucks -- and since 90s Dodge Cummins 4x4 (have a '92 and '93). I now also have a 98' VW Beetle that is convenient and cheap to drive (and saves wear on expensive machinery).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence