Airtight Argument?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Dimmesdale
Sage

Airtight Argument?

Post #1

Post by Dimmesdale »

I think I might have found the Airtight Argument disproving Christianity (for those who believe in evolution).

Here it is.

We evolved from lower life forms. Hence, there was no Adam and Eve and thus no Original Sin. Therefore, Christianity is false.

Is it airtight after all? That is the question I'd like to put up for debate. To me it seems conclusive, IF one believes in evolution, which in my opinion every reasonable person should....

marco
Savant

Re: Airtight Argument?

Post #2

Post by marco »

7homas wrote:
Therefore, Christianity is false.

Only if Christianity insists on a literal interpretation of Adam and Eve. When we look for a figurative meaning it's a little bit harder to dismiss Christianity. But I'm sure you can manage to do it.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #3

Post by Dimmesdale »

I suppose one can say that the human race collectively at some point decided to sin (since according to evolution there must have always been at least several thousand homo sapiens and not a single pair). But if all of humanity decided to sin, than the decision to sin must have been exceedingly easy. I don't know - I'm not personally convinced.

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

7homas wrote: I suppose one can say that the human race collectively at some point decided to sin (since according to evolution there must have always been at least several thousand homo sapiens and not a single pair). But if all of humanity decided to sin, than the decision to sin must have been exceedingly easy. I don't know - I'm not personally convinced.

It depends what meaning you take from the Genesis tale. It can be an exposition of humanity's sense of guilt, shame and preference for lower rather than higher thoughts. Then man also developed, perhaps by a process of evolution, his morality, discarding certain acts as debased and regarding others as lofty. God is introduced as the arbiter; in the OT he is over-strict in his demands and along comes Jesus to show us how love conquers all.

It might be hard to hammer nails into that brand of Christianity.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 1 by 7homas]
That is the question I'd like to put up for debate. To me it seems conclusive, IF one believes in evolution, which in my opinion every reasonable person should....
I suggest talking to some Roman Catholics, since the RCC maintains an official policy of acceptance of evolution.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #6

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by 7homas]

Not every brand of Christianity believes in a literal Adam and Eve.

You've pretty much zeroed in though on why many fundamentalists (Bible literalists) feel the need to try and tear down evolution. It gets harder and harder to cling to the tales as modern man learns more and more about this universe. The only recourse is to close ones eyes, plug ones ears, and deny, deny, deny. Kind of like a toddler in full melt down mode in the middle of the cereal isle. It doesn't matter how many times you explain or even show them there are no stuffed teddy's as prizes in the cereal boxes, they still want what they want.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Zzyzx »

7homas wrote: I suppose one can say that the human race collectively at some point decided to sin
Of course one can SAY that humans 'decided to sin' but they cannot prove that is true -- so it is just an opinion

If 'sin' is defined as 'acting (or thinking) against the will of God' (or words to that effect), it has NO meaning unless the 'God' has been shown to have preferences -- with something more than unverified ancient tales, conjectures, testimonials, opinions.
7homas wrote: (since according to evolution there must have always been at least several thousand homo sapiens and not a single pair).
Is this statement based on actual study of genetics and evolution -- or is it said without actual study of the field?

It is amazing how many people KNOW about evolution without actually studying the field (which is not an easy subject of study). Perhaps they 'learn' all they 'know' about evolution by watching television, listening to sermons, and viewing religion-promoting websites.
7homas wrote: But if all of humanity decided to sin,
1) 'Sin' is a religious concept that applies only to worshipers of one of the thousands of proposed 'gods'.

2) 'Decided to sin' has NOT been shown to be anything more than imagination.
7homas wrote: than the decision to sin must have been exceedingly easy. I don't know - I'm not personally convinced.
'Sin' is in the eye of the beholder -- typically looking upon the actions or attitudes of OTHERS (while absolving themselves or claiming to be 'forgiven' by preforming rituals).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

7homas wrote: I think I might have found the Airtight Argument disproving Christianity (for those who believe in evolution).

Here it is.

We evolved from lower life forms. Hence, there was no Adam and Eve and thus no Original Sin. Therefore, Christianity is false.

Is it airtight after all? That is the question I'd like to put up for debate. To me it seems conclusive, IF one believes in evolution, which in my opinion every reasonable person should....
What you are claiming relies on obvious truth. However Christians rely on make it up and declare it to be true, truth. Make it up and declare it to be true, truth, is not affected by, or susceptible to, air tight arguments.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #9

Post by Dimmesdale »

rikuoamero wrote: I suggest talking to some Roman Catholics, since the RCC maintains an official policy of acceptance of evolution.
Although I haven't really conversed with Catholics about this issue, there is no real way to skirt the issue because Catholics are obliged to believe in a literal Adam and Eve. However, this is (I think) impossible in the context of evolution because there couldn't have been a bottleneck of less than 10,000 hominids.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #10

Post by Dimmesdale »

marco wrote: It depends what meaning you take from the Genesis tale. It can be an exposition of humanity's sense of guilt, shame and preference for lower rather than higher thoughts. Then man also developed, perhaps by a process of evolution, his morality, discarding certain acts as debased and regarding others as lofty. God is introduced as the arbiter; in the OT he is over-strict in his demands and along comes Jesus to show us how love conquers all.

It might be hard to hammer nails into that brand of Christianity.
I realize there could be other brands of Christianity that don't do this, true. However, other brands of Christianity that do not believe in some original progenitor of humanity such as Adam and Eve have to make sense of the belief in Original Sin. At some point, humanity sinned. If there is no clear-cut origination for Original Sin, one runs the risk of getting his or her thinking muddled.

If Original Sin is not true, than traditional Christianity is not entirely true.