What's in a name?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

What's in a name?

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

Names have their own meaning, and there is often a specific reason a parent has for choosing one for a newborn child they have.

In the Bible, a name may be changed to more accurately reflect a new situation.

What can we learn from the use and meaning of personal names in scripture?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What's in a name?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Checkpoint]

I think we can learn a lot including how important the Divine name Jehovah was to to the Hebrews. A lot of bible names incorportated the name of God in their meanings...

EliJAH meaning: My God = El (Elohim) .... is Jah (shortened form of Jehovah)

Indeed, most bible names (including that of Jesus) that begin in the English language with the letter J- incorporte the name of God in them.

INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

polonius
Prodigy

How the 13th century name "Jehovah" developed

Post #3

Post by polonius »

https://www.catholic.com/qa/is-gods-nam ... or-jehovah

“In Hebrew the name of God is spelled YHWH. Since ancient Hebrew had no written vowels, it is uncertain how the name was pronounced originally, but there are records of the name in Greek, which did have written vowels. These records indicate that in all likelihood the name should be pronounced "Yahweh."

“Eventually Hebrew developed written vowels, which appeared as small marks called vowel points and were placed above and below the consonants of a word. In the sixth or seventh century some Jews began to place the vowel points for "Adonai" over the consonants for "Yahweh" to remind the reader of Scripture to say "Adonai" whenever he read "Yahweh."

“About the 13th century the term "Jehovah" appeared when Christian scholars took the consonants of "Yahweh" and pronounced it with the vowels of "Adonai." This resulted in the sound "Yahowah," which has a Latinized spelling of "Jehovah." The first recorded use of this spelling was made by a Spanish Dominican monk, Raymundus Martini, in 1270.�

“Some people claim that our Lord should not be referred to as “Jesus.� Instead, we should only use the name “Yeshua.� Some even go so far as to say that calling Him “Jesus� is blasphemous. Others go into great detail about how the name “Jesus� is unbiblical because the letter J is a modern invention and there was no letter J in Greek or Hebrew.�

https://www.gotquestions.org/Yeshua-Jesus.html

Summary: So the names Jehovah and Jesus were not the original names for these individuals.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: How the 13th century name "Jehovah" developed

Post #4

Post by onewithhim »

polonius.advice wrote: https://www.catholic.com/qa/is-gods-nam ... or-jehovah

“In Hebrew the name of God is spelled YHWH. Since ancient Hebrew had no written vowels, it is uncertain how the name was pronounced originally, but there are records of the name in Greek, which did have written vowels. These records indicate that in all likelihood the name should be pronounced "Yahweh."

“Eventually Hebrew developed written vowels, which appeared as small marks called vowel points and were placed above and below the consonants of a word. In the sixth or seventh century some Jews began to place the vowel points for "Adonai" over the consonants for "Yahweh" to remind the reader of Scripture to say "Adonai" whenever he read "Yahweh."

“About the 13th century the term "Jehovah" appeared when Christian scholars took the consonants of "Yahweh" and pronounced it with the vowels of "Adonai." This resulted in the sound "Yahowah," which has a Latinized spelling of "Jehovah." The first recorded use of this spelling was made by a Spanish Dominican monk, Raymundus Martini, in 1270.�

“Some people claim that our Lord should not be referred to as “Jesus.� Instead, we should only use the name “Yeshua.� Some even go so far as to say that calling Him “Jesus� is blasphemous. Others go into great detail about how the name “Jesus� is unbiblical because the letter J is a modern invention and there was no letter J in Greek or Hebrew.�

Summary: So the names Jehovah and Jesus were not the original names for these individuals.
And why does that matter so much that you don't want to use them at all? Everyone in the world knows who we are talking about when we say "Jehovah" or "Jesus." There is no doubt. My name and yours are pronounced differently depending on the language that it is spoken in. Would you make an issue out of a Spanish person calling Paul Pablo? Aren't there more important fish to fry than futzing around trying to denunciate God's name?

polonius
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by polonius »

onewithhim wrote:
polonius.advice wrote: https://www.catholic.com/qa/is-gods-nam ... or-jehovah

And why does that matter so much that you don't want to use them at all? Everyone in the world knows who we are talking about when we say "Jehovah" or "Jesus." There is no doubt. My name and yours are pronounced differently depending on the language that it is spoken in. Would you make an issue out of a Spanish person calling Paul Pablo? Aren't there more important fish to fry than futzing around trying to denunciate God's name?
RESPONSE: If you read JW's erroneous assertion above, you'll see what I am replying to.

It's his issue, not mine.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

polonius.advice wrote:
RESPONSE: If you read JW's erroneous assertion above, you'll see what I am replying to. .
Kindly tell me which of my statements was "erroneous"?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Prince
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Prince »

We have been told in scripture that the people of God call upon His name and He hears them because of it. Those who do so He call His people because in doing so they say that He is there God.

As it is written;

Zechariah 13:9

"They shall call upon my name and I shall hear them. I will say they are my people, they will say, the Lord is my God."

tigger2
Sage

Post #8

Post by tigger2 »

Prince wrote:

"They shall call upon my name and I shall hear them. I will say they are my people, they will say, the Lord is my God."

The word mistranslated 'Lord' there [which would be Adonai in Hebrew] is actually written 'YHWH' (not adonai) in the Hebrew text. Adonai is a clear mistranslation of 'YHWH' (which is transliterated as a personal name: Yahweh or Jehovah.)

We normally don't translate personal names like Abijah ('The Father is Jehovah/Yahweh'), Elijah ('God is Jehovah/Yahweh'), Jeremiah ('Appointed by Jehovah/Yahweh'), Joshua ('Jehovah/Yahweh Saves'), Jesus ('Jehovah/Yahweh Saves'), etc.

So, Zechariah 13:9 is translated as, "They shall call on My name, and I will answer them. I will say, It (is) My people; and [they] shall say, Jehovah is my God." - The Interlinear Bible, Baker Book House, 1982. [Bolding added.]

Prince
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Prince »

tigger2 wrote: Prince wrote:

The word mistranslated 'Lord' there [which would be Adonai in Hebrew] is actually written 'YHWH' (not adonai) in the Hebrew text. Adonai is a clear mistranslation of 'YHWH' (which is transliterated as a personal name: Yahweh or Jehovah.)

We normally don't translate personal names like Abijah ('The Father is Jehovah/Yahweh'), Elijah ('God is Jehovah/Yahweh'), Jeremiah ('Appointed by Jehovah/Yahweh'), Joshua ('Jehovah/Yahweh Saves'), Jesus ('Jehovah/Yahweh Saves'), etc.

So, Zechariah 13:9 is translated as, "They shall call on My name, and I will answer them. I will say, It (is) My people; and [they] shall say, Jehovah is my God." - The Interlinear Bible, Baker Book House, 1982. [Bolding added.]

Most bibles say " Lord"

Gods name is a mystery to those who are not His.

Oh, His name is the lord of the hosts of heaven. It is not Jehovah or Lord or YHWH or Jesus or any of the sort.

As the son of man says;

(Father) "I have revealed your name to those whom you have given me and I will reveal it so that the love which you loved me may be in them and I in them. John 17

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

Prince wrote:
tigger2 wrote: Prince wrote:

Most bibles say " Lord"

Gods name is a mystery to those who are not His.

Oh, His name is the lord of the hosts of heaven. It is not Jehovah or Lord or YHWH or Jesus or any of the sort.

As the son of man says;

(Father) "I have revealed your name to those whom you have given me and I will reveal it so that the love which you loved me may be in them and I in them. John 17
Where most Bibles say "LORD" that is actually a substitute for YHVH, the personal name of God. The original pronunciation has been obscured by Rabbinic prohibition, but YHVH has been variously rendered today as "Yahweh" "Jehovah" or "Yehovah" etc.".

Those of us who recognize the importance of God's actual name, (Jehovah's Witnesses and others) understand that He honors any good-faith effort to recover and proclaim His name.

"Father", even "Abba" are not names. They are titles. They do not distinguish the Living God from pagan gods and idols, not like the name YHVH does.

Even pagans can call their gods "Father" or "Mother" ( "Father Sun" "Father Sky", "Mother Earth", etc.) But they do not call their gods "YHVH".

YHVH is God's distinguised, and distinguishing name.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.